Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm I just noticed the official HK specifications page took off the J1772 adaptor!

It's now showing:
Charging
10 kW capable on-board charger with the following input compatibility: 85-265 V, 45-65 Hz, 1-40 A (Optional 20 kW capable Twin Chargers increases input compatibility to 80 A)
Peak charger efficiency of 92%
10 kW capable Universal Mobile Connector with 220 V adapters

Hmm I just noticed the official HK specifications page took off the J1772 adaptor!

It's now showing:
Charging
10 kW capable on-board charger with the following input compatibility: 85-265 V, 45-65 Hz, 1-40 A (Optional 20 kW capable Twin Chargers increases input compatibility to 80 A)
Peak charger efficiency of 92%
10 kW capable Universal Mobile Connector with 220 V adapters

I still haven't got a reply from Tesla about this. Interesting find, I guess they realise that people are going to demand the best charging capability in HK, unsurprisingly. Problem for me is that I have my electrical guy coming this week to do some other work and I would be a good chance to wire my charging point if I was confident what to put in.

I still haven't got a reply from Tesla about this. Interesting find, I guess they realise that people are going to demand the best charging capability in HK, unsurprisingly. Problem for me is that I have my electrical guy coming this week to do some other work and I would be a good chance to wire my charging point if I was confident what to put in.

Ask him to put a supercharger in, while you are at it, then you are covered!

And when you get a visit from another Tesla owner/driver, all it takes is one cup of coffee and the visiting car is fully charged!

The key question is what do you have at your MCB?

If your MCB has hundreds of amps free, then run an 80A circuit to be ready for the HPWC when it comes.
If you are current limited, but want a fixed installation, then run wires for 40A to be ready for a reduced-current HPWC when it comes.
If you are current limited, and want mobility, then put in a 32A single phase blue socket.
At this point, given what Tesla is saying, I would not suggest a 13A BS1363 socket.

I wouldn't currently (sic) bet on the 3phase red socket being supported here at the moment. Anyway, for home charging, overnight 32A single phase is plenty.

If your MCB has hundreds of amps free, then run an 80A circuit to be ready for the HPWC when it comes.
If you are current limited, but want a fixed installation, then run wires for 40A to be ready for a reduced-current HPWC when it comes.
If you are current limited, and want mobility, then put in a 32A single phase blue socket.
At this point, given what Tesla is saying, I would not suggest a 13A BS1363 socket.

Hi Mark,

I'm a bit concerned about your last point, i.e. "...given what Tesla is saying, I would not suggest a 13A BS1363 socket."
What did Tesla say? Why do you not suggest it? It's what I have at my car park now, and when I asked Linda, she said it would be fine!

AppleFan

I'm a bit concerned about your last point, i.e. "...given what Tesla is saying, I would not suggest a 13A BS1363 socket."
What did Tesla say? Why do you not suggest it? It's what I have at my car park now, and when I asked Linda, she said it would be fine!

Nothing has been announced, but a lot is being talked about. All I'm hearing is rumours at the moment - and people who know me know that I hate to and wont spread rumours. From what I am told, Tesla are hard at work trying to finalise things, and I guess we'll know in a week or so.

My quoted reply was to Lerxt, who has an electrical guy coming this week. If I had to install something this week, that is what I would do.

For others, we have time, and I suggest it is best to wait for Tesla's official word on what they will be providing with the car, and what adaptors will be available. For home use, with your own socket, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

For others, we have time, and I suggest it is best to wait for Tesla's official word on what they will be providing with the car, and what adaptors will be available. For home use, with your own socket, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I agree, and that's exactly what I'm doing. I don't even have a parking spot yet as I live at apartment building and currently has no car. So there's nothing I can do until Tesla announces concrete technical details/guidelines for the whole installation/charging issue for the Model S in HK. Only then will I be able to negotiate with my estate with the necessary details on hand and find a parking spot where I can install the EVSE properly. At this moment, I don't even know the exact arrival date of my MS so I'm not going to rent a spot now and start paying for nothing.

I agree, and that's exactly what I'm doing. I don't even have a parking spot yet as I live at apartment building and currently has no car. So there's nothing I can do until Tesla announces concrete technical details/guidelines for the whole installation/charging issue for the Model S in HK. Only then will I be able to negotiate with my estate with the necessary details on hand and find a parking spot where I can install the EVSE properly. At this moment, I don't even know the exact arrival date of my MS so I'm not going to rent a spot now and start paying for nothing.

My situation is the same as yours, if not worse. I'm patient. Things will work out soon.

Just that sometimes I will think out-of-the-box, like maybe, I can park my car somewhere outside Starbucks are use their socket with a super long cable.

It wasn't there at launch, for Hong Kong. They don't have one for European style sockets, yet.

My Chinese is not great but I think the Chinese Model S specs page still says will come with J1772 adaptor?

• 充电
  • 10 千瓦车载充电器,输入兼容性:85-265 伏,45-65 赫兹,1-40 安(可选 20 千瓦双充电器,输入兼容性增加至 80 安)
  • 峰值充电效率 92 %
  • 10 千瓦通用移动连接器,110 伏、240 伏以及 J1772 适配器

The HK Tesla webpage will be updated soon to reflect the newly revised Hong Kong Model S charging strategy. The Model S is capable for 3-phase charging but Tesla does not have a 3-phase EVSE available yet as it is still under regulatory approval, I am told. Since we have 3-phase feed going to our property, I have revised my order to include twin charger to take advantage of 3-phase charging should Tesla releases their 3-phase EVSE.