Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging stopped-rebuild title

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DC fast charging shouldn’t be tied to supercharging but apparently it is despite the car being able to tell which it’s using.

I don’t agree with disabling either however and I feel it devalues the brand. Worst case salvage should go to PPU SC for those that came with FUSC. I’m willing to bet the latest turn of events has something to do with network capacity just as much as it does safety. Your average salvage Tesla is arguably safer than your average salvage ICE vehicle on the road.

I think it has nothing to do with safety. The idea that a car with a rebuilt title is dangerous to the super charger or the car during charging is an insult to my intelligence. I have never heard of a lithium ion battery blowing up. it can start a fire and slowly destroy itself and may eventually burn the car. What is the risk with 20 gallons of gasoline on board, and we live with that without fear? If a Tesla is hit hard enought to damage the battery, it won't be cost effectire to repair. Look how well that battery is protected. My car was sent to salvage because of front airbags, seat belts, windshield and minor front and rear damage. If I thought there was any threat to the battery I wouldn't consider rebuilding a Tesla. It's not a safety issue, the numbers won't work. How about batteries in P100 cars, that are on their third battery due to repeated launch control type of driving? If they are not dangerious then rest easy on the issue of salvage-car batteries.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I think it has nothing to do with safety. The idea that a car with a rebuilt title is dangerous to the super charger or the car during charging is an insult to my intelligence. I have never heard of a lithium ion battery blowing up. it can start a fire and slowly destroy itself and may eventually burn the car. What is the risk with 20 gallons of gasoline on board, and we live with that without fear? If a Tesla is hit hard enought to damage the battery, it won't be cost effectire to repair. Look how well that battery is protected. My car was sent to salvage because of front airbags, seat belts, windshield and minor front and rear damage. If I thought there was any threat to the battery I wouldn't consider rebuilding a Tesla. It's not a safety issue, the numbers won't work. How about batteries in P100 cars, that are on their third battery due to repeated launch control type of driving? If they are not dangerious then rest easy on the issue of salvage-car batteries.

Flooding. The issue, in my book, is flooding. The battery itself may not be damaged, but could be water logged and rusting from the inside out. Think about a car submerged in salt water... the battery busbar may be rusting away and you wouldn't know it - but heat it up by dumping 250kW at a Supercharger into the battery, and all hell can break loose.

I was perfectly OK with the policy requiring a (deep) inspection prior to allowing supercharging.... the fact that they won't /ever/ allow it seems odd to me, but there's a 7-letter word that explains it all:

l
a
w
y
e
r
s

• Funny
Anyone who’s rebuilding a flooded Tesla would hopefully be smart enough to physically inspect the battery pack and individual modules before attempting a test run...if only to have some hope at success.

You are 100,000% correct.... the issue is, however, the world is a LOT stupider than we give it credit for.

Remember, this guy has a drivers' license and votes, /just like you/.

josiah on Twitter

Take a look at this article:

Hacking a Tesla Model S: What we found and what we learned

Successful connection on the Model S internal Ethernet network

It looks like the Tesla internal system uses an insecure LAN interface, and it is possible that you could gain access and at the very least, inspect the TCP/UDP traffic where you might find, for example, log messages / errors. This information is dated and for the S, but you might find a post how to get ethernet access to the 3 and connect it to a laptop for interception/inspection.

The DC charging connector has a plug that looks like the Tesla plug with two larger contacts right below. I think it willl talk to my charging port and get a signal to not charge DC at EVgo also.
Since no one has answered this yet-- That is a CCS plug. That stands for Combo Charging System. The top part does look familiar, because that's what the word "combo" is about. With EVs from other car makers, like Chevy, Jaguar, etc. they have that CCS port on the car, and it can take the plugs for both slower AC charging and the fast DC charging. The top part (of the car's charging port) is basically a J1772 receptacle. Or if you are using a full CCS plug for fast DC charging, then it plugs into the whole thing: top and bottom. But no, there is not a way to plug into just the top part of a CCS plug to get just slow AC charging. It doesn't do that. And no, Tesla doesn't sell an adapter for CCS plugs in North America.

EV Charging Connector Types | Enel X

DC fast charging shouldn’t be tied to supercharging but apparently it is despite the car being able to tell which it’s using.

I don’t agree with disabling either however and I feel it devalues the brand. Worst case salvage should go to PPU SC for those that came with FUSC. I’m willing to bet the latest turn of events has something to do with network capacity just as much as it does safety. Your average salvage Tesla is arguably safer than your average salvage ICE vehicle on the road.

So you are ok with non certified electricians working on electric vehicles and hooking into a charging network beside other families? So you are ok with someone with zero experience wiring into a charging station capable of over 800 Amps. Listen to how stupid that sounds. You obviously have zero experience with electrical systems. 800 Amps...

• Disagree
I’m okay with carefully repaired and inspected EV’s being spared from the crusher thus conserving precious resources and effort.

Right because every rebuilt EV gets inspected by certified electricians. Please forward over your over whelming information of certified electricians who work at these inspection shops. Come to think about it I am with someone right now that inspects these vehicles and knows zero about electrical work.

• Funny
The OP can get battery info using this application. I don't know how to use it, but its popular on these forums.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.emon.canbus.tesla

sdfsdafsdafdsafsa.png

Status
Not open for further replies.