Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging the Roadster - EU Style

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I've been reading up this post and it was a very interesting read. But one question remains: Has anybody actually set up a method of trying to get more amps from 3 phases to 1 phase to charge your Tesla faster?

Hi,
It looks like there are 3 Phase to Single phase converters manufactured in Australia. (Who'd a thunk it!)
The company is called Polyphaz POLYPHAZ Single to Three phase converters
Here is a link to their Polytranz 415V 3Phase to 240V Single phase transformer.
Three phase to single phase transformers
Can't see any motors here.

And if you live in Finland - you probably have the best infrastructure one could wish: every parking lot has it's own 220V plug. They plug in their cars overnight when temperatures drop to low levels (below 10 F).

I wonder how the roadster batteries would deal with that kind of weather...

_46987586_finland_gallery.jpg

Hi all,

I have been reading this thread with interest. A number of options have past on trying to convert EU 3 phases to single phase for faster charging. Besides the technical discussion I wonder whether somebody actually has implemented some solution to solve our 'Schieflast' or need for higher currents without altering your connection to the grid.

In my situation I have 3*25 amps coming in fused to 3 phase 16 amps. This 3 phase connection I like to use for charging my roadster faster. I believe sqroot3*16 amps (-loss) should be available to charge up the car. But looking for some hands-on experience in getting this to work is appreciated.

converting 3-phase to 1-phase make no sense. you have to rectify the 3-phase to DC. If you convert DC to 1-phase. then the charger in the car has to rectify again back to DC. You make an extra step with additional conversion loss.

If we had DC charging then we wouldn't really give a damn about the number of phases, voltage, or current available from the utility supply. We would simply have a universal device that rectifies the AC and feeds it to the car in the appropriate voltage for the on-board charger. I think it's interesting that in Japan you are beginning to see widespread CHAdeMO deployments often with no AC sockets available on site. I'm not suggesting that we will all have a ultra-high power DC supply at home, simply that having a DC connector would allow the car to receive energy from any power source worldwide and address the issues we now face with multiple AC standards.

If we had DC charging then we wouldn't really give a damn about the number of phases, voltage, or current available from the utility supply. We would simply have a universal device that rectifies the AC and feeds it to the car in the appropriate voltage for the on-board charger. I think it's interesting that in Japan you are beginning to see widespread CHAdeMO deployments often with no AC sockets available on site. I'm not suggesting that we will all have a ultra-high power DC supply at home, simply that having a DC connector would allow the car to receive energy from any power source worldwide and address the issues we now face with multiple AC standards.
Yes, but don't forget that you won't have a DC converter at every place.

So it would be nice if the converter fitted in the car somewhere.

Here in Holland 3x16A is everywhere, gas stations, restaurants, offices, warehouses, etc. I'm planning to make some pictures with my phone and geotag them, just to show how many of those outlets I see in my daily trips around the city (On my bicycle :) )

But then we are bound to an external charger and those are expensive. tesla is reusing the power-electronics as an 1-phase charger but can be upgraded to an 3-phase charger, but they did not. 3-phase charging is be best where 3-phase is available. 400V/32A provides 22kW (63A = 44kW) 240V/70 = 16kW. Higher current needs thicker more expensive cable using more copper.

But then we are bound to an external charger and those are expensive.
low power version don't have to be... the big advantage is that you can cope with 1-phase, 3-phase etc with a universal AC-DC device not by re-engineering the car for each market.

Here in the UK we now have in the "wild" UK Standard, "CEE", Tesla, Mennekes, and CHAdeMO.... so 5 different connector standards and NO 3-phase support.

not at all, you carry it with you.... low power versions could be cheap. The great thing about it is that you could 'feed' the AC-DC converter from any AC supply.
Yes, that was what I meant.

To get back on the connectors, those are just connectors. It is far from ideal, but as the US probably will stick with J1772 (1-phase) and the EU with Mennekes (3-phase) and some other manufacturers with CHAdeMO for DC charging.

But AC power is everywhere, so I'm not a fan of CHAdeMO. 1-phase for the US and 3-phase for the EU would be fine.

converting 3-phase to 1-phase make no sense. you have to rectify the 3-phase to DC. If you convert DC to 1-phase. then the charger in the car has to rectify again back to DC. You make an extra step with additional conversion loss.

Eberhard, I do not totally agree that it makes no sense (apart from the method of converting 3-1 phase). Rectifying 3-1 phase provides you in this case 1.73 times the fused current (16 amps in my case). This means instead of charging the Tesla with 16 Amps resulting in 14 hours load times to 1.73*16=27.7 Amps resulting in theoretical ~ 9 hours charge time. Off course depending on the method of converting the 3-1 phase there will be more or less loss. Let's assume a high loss 20% ?? still leaves me 6 Amps extra, shaving off 2-3 hours of charging time.

Eberhard, I do not totally agree that it makes no sense (apart from the method of converting 3-1 phase). Rectifying 3-1 phase provides you in this case 1.73 times the fused current (16 amps in my case). This means instead of charging the Tesla with 16 Amps resulting in 14 hours load times to 1.73*16=27.7 Amps resulting in theoretical ~ 9 hours charge time. Off course depending on the method of converting the 3-1 phase there will be more or less loss. Let's assume a high loss 20% ?? still leaves me 6 Amps extra, shaving off 2-3 hours of charging time.
Uhm, I might be missing something here:

At 3-phase 16A (230V) you get: 400V x 16A x 1.73 power factor = 11072W of power.

That would make it possible to charge the Roadster in about 5 hours (Not taken any losses into account). So 6 hours should be possible if you could charge at max power.

Here in Holland 3x16A is everywhere, gas stations, restaurants, offices, warehouses, etc. I'm planning to make some pictures with my phone and geotag them, just to show how many of those outlets I see in my daily trips around the city (On my bicycle :) )

Good idea, especially for me living near to the NL-border :). You could crosscheck them with http://www.lemnet.org, perhaps they are already there.