Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cheap Home charging setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where did you get that information? Correct me if I'm wrong but the NEC (National Electric Code) specifically states that you should NOT install a NEMA 14-50 outlet on a GFI breaker. It is also not required for a 6-50 outlet and Tesla recommends against it. Further, Tesla recommends not installing their wall chargers on GFI breakers. The same is true for virtually all EVSE manufacturers (not just Juicebox).

And you would be wrong. I also have a GFCI on two Wall Connectors with zero issues.

See 625.54 (#2 at top of the link below).

https://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/AboutTheCodes/70/Proposed_TIA_1242_NFPA_70.pdf

I’m so happy for you that you saved $100

Why don’t you show us now where a portable EV Charger (connector) says to not to use a GFCI circuit.

Hardwired wired chargers (connectors) allow you to safely avoid the risk of a false tripping GFCI.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
For the skeptics, doubters, and naysayers! @hcsharp and @Feathermerchan
@mswlogo already cited the section of NEC that specifies this--625.54. It is absolutely clear. But that was added in the 2017 version update of NEC. Some states are lagging behind and still have not adopted the 2017 version yet. Here is a map of which states are on which version of code:
Learn where the National Electrical Code® (NEC®) is enforced. | NFPA
You are right, I stand corrected. I didn't realize they changed the code which went into effect in January 2019.

This was a really bad idea (the revision to 625.54). The problem is there will be faulty trips. The sensitivity of the breaker GFCI is much higher than the EV charger. Most, if not all, EV Charger manufacturers (Tesla, Juicebox, etc.) state that their EVSE should not be installed onto circuits with GFCI protection. The faulty trips are inevitable due to the sensitivity being so high (only 5ma) in the breaker (vs 20ma in the charger itself). The result will be unreliable charging when using a 240v outlet. It will require that you constantly monitor your charging to make sure it hasn't stopped. Further, multiple faulty trips cause damage to the breaker, leading to more and more faulty trips over time.

This will become a headache for EV owners and makes a strong argument for installing a hard-wired EVSE that is not on a GFCI breaker. It's surprising what a few morons on a regulatory committee will do...

I see that Tesla has responded to this change in the code by recommending you install a hard-wired Wall Charger for all installations that will be used on a regular basis. The UMC is now only recommended for occasional use.

Wonder how that would work if I just have my electrician install it. They could probably provide an invoice but does he have to be certified? Also do we need to provide a permit for the tax claim?
The tax credit does not require that you get a permit or hire an electrician. State and local laws might require a permit and might also require that you hire a licensed electrician (instead of doing it yourself).

Reactions: house9
Wonder how that would work if I just have my electrician install it. They could probably provide an invoice but does he have to be certified? Also do we need to provide a permit for the tax claim?

You need to fill out this IRS form when you file your 2020 taxes:

- About Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit | Internal Revenue Service
- https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8911.pdf
- https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i8911--2020.pdf

The 2nd file has the details, like any tax credit or deduction just keep all your receipts would be my guess.
My guess is installing just new plugs doesn’t qualify you but maybe, I mean you could argue that it still delivers an “Alternate Fuel” of electricity.

If I read it right, if you buy a wall charger for $500 and are charged $500 to install for a total $1000 then 30% of that will give you a tax credit of $300, so you are getting the charger for like half the cost.

NOTE: I am just some guy on the internet, take everything I say with a grain of salt...

I think those are good units. I believe they make a hardwired version also. You will need the Tesla J1772 adapter of course, and you may want to consider getting another one so that one can be left in the vehicle in case it's needed on the road.

You are limited to 30 amps vs 48 with a Tesla wall connector. These, and other J1772 EVSE can often be found used on Ebay for very good prices.

If you get a plugin unit and install a receptacle you could use that same receptacle with your mobile connector (and appropriate adapter) as a backup charging method.

• Helpful