Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Check Out the Cybertruck Promo Photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla debuted the Cybertruck Thursday, saying it is designed to have the utility of a truck and the performance of a sports car.

Cybertruck will come in three variants: Single Motor Rear-Wheel Drive, Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive, and Tri Motor All-Wheel Drive.

Vehicle Specs:

Range: 500+ miles0-60 mph acceleration:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Electruck
The obvious mistake is calling it a pickup or even a truck. It could be a great choice for many pickup owners who just don't need a pickup, but now it is mirrors-deep in the whole pickup competition and, sorry, I live in pickup country (and have a Model 3) and don't expect to see a single one of these in at least a 500 mile radius. At what point is this just about you, Elon?

why you figure it's a mistake calling it a pickup or truck ? if you look past the weird shape it has the same attributes; i.e. a big cabin for people a 6.5 ft bed for stuff and decent ground clearance; sounds like a pickup to me.

I like this one....
B41664BB-30AF-49D4-8D62-1767CAEE2BC8.jpeg

I wonder what a talented artist could do with those sheets of stainless as canvas.
laser etching - by business vs stickers
- by owners vs custom paint job
- and you can "polish" it off - or keep this truck for literally a lifetime one vehicle purchase for life

side note: How about the "interior floor" be left just plain stainless steel - with a drain plug so you can "hose out the interior" to clean. You could of course still use floor mats.

Last edited:
B5ECDA45-B7F5-4928-96C2-6D7FE1A1FBB7.jpeg

FORGET EVERYTHING I SAID ON PAGE 3... I’M NOW TOTALLY ONBOARD, Yes, I was unworthy... completely blind ... I was a doubter at first but now I have seen the light! When Elon revealed the new Cybertruck I was dazed and confused especially when the windows broke ... I was like... WTF? I posted my displeasure at what I perceived was an epic FAIL... but boy was I wrong .. then it hit me, those smashed windows were an act of pure marketing GENIUS! I thought why would Elon have the guy smash the first window and then a second window if it wasn’t meant to be? Why would Elon set us all up after a long demonstration for a failure if it wasn’t planned?

Well it was planned, it was all bait and many of us fell for it including yours truly... I feel like a jerk!

Remember these words after the windows broke?... “Elon = Well there’s room for improvement!” My prediction will be once this baby is ready for prime time production, Elon will have another event where hundreds of large steel balls will rain down from above while air cannons fire even more from the sides but NOTHING WILL BREAK this time.... Elon will then step to the mic with that huge Musk grin of his and say... “Ummm... I guess we improved it!... now come and get it!!!” ... or something to that effect!

View attachment 486949

FORGET EVERYTHING I SAID ON PAGE 3... I’M NOW TOTALLY ONBOARD, Yes, I was unworthy... completely blind ... I was a doubter at first but now I have seen the light! When Elon revealed the new Cybertruck I was dazed and confused especially when the windows broke ... I was like... WTF? I posted my displeasure at what I perceived was an epic FAIL... but boy was I wrong .. then it hit me, those smashed windows were an act of pure marketing GENIUS! I thought why would Elon have the guy smash the first window and then a second window if it wasn’t meant to be? Why would Elon set us all up after a long demonstration for a failure if it wasn’t planned?

Well it was planned, it was all bait and many of us fell for it including yours truly... I feel like a jerk!

Remember these words after the windows broke?... “Elon = Well there’s room for improvement!” My prediction will be once this baby is ready for prime time production, Elon will have another event where hundreds of large steel balls will rain down from above while air cannons fire even more from the sides but NOTHING WILL BREAK this time.... Elon will then step to the mic with that huge Musk grin of his and say... “Ummm... I guess we improved it!... now come and get it!!!” ... or something to that effect!

It was NOT planned. But it did turn out to be great marketing for Tesla. All the idiot media outlets claimed what a fail the presentation was because of the glass. But fortunately people with at least half a brain would realize that the glass in their vehicle would fare much worse and the glass isn’t what’s important. It’s the truck itself, the specs and price. So it turned out to be worth tens of millions of dollars of free advertising.

Reactions: R1Bill
It was NOT planned. But it did turn out to be great marketing for Tesla. All the idiot media outlets claimed what a fail the presentation was because of the glass. But fortunately people with at least half a brain would realize that the glass in their vehicle would fare much worse and the glass isn’t what’s important. It’s the truck itself, the specs and price. So it turned out to be worth tens of millions of dollars of free advertising.

This was one of the best things for them, When the model 3 launched most of my family members had no idea. Same with the model Y.. Semi... Roadster.. but with the cybertruck EVERYONE KNOWS! My father actually said "wow did you see how strong that glass is?! they threw that big metal ball and it and it didn't even go through!" He probably woulda put a reservation if he didn't just upgrade to a new chevy 1500.

Reactions: navguy12 and SO16
From what I understand this stainless is superhardened and not your typical stainless. If you listen to Jack Rickart on the materials used you’ll understand why others also say this is intended to be flat and angular panels for the body.

Give him a listen:

From what Jack says the SS used is very thick (3mm) and drilling holes sounds like a futile, wasteful attempt. Even mentions trying with lasers. Most of his comments on the body materials are near the beginning of the video. ( he has a very leisurely speaking pace, so listen to it at 1.25 speed).

I don't understand why people think you cant drill stainless steel..

I don't understand why people think you cant drill stainless steel..

again the explanation given is because it's superhardened stainless of a good thickness and according to Jack would be a long, tough thing to do even with a laser and not worth your effort apparently. Did you listen to Jack's comments on this and disagree? That's why people are discussing welding. That's what I've gotten out of the video and other comments on the material from people like Sandy Munro.

again the explanation given is because it's superhardened stainless of a good thickness and according to Jack would be a long, tough thing to do even with a laser and not worth your effort apparently. Did you listen to Jack's comments on this and disagree? That's why people are discussing welding. That's what I've gotten out of the video and other comments on the material from people like Sandy Munro.

Yes i do disagree with his comments.

Elon Musk never said this was "super hardened stainless steel", he said cold rolled 30X. Its just a variant of 301 as far as we know. He uses 301 on the starship prototype and spoke of using 301 for the actual thing. This is just plain jane 301 stainless steel. I think the name 30X is a play on SpaceX and three oh stainless but i dont know that for sure. no one does. So for this guy to be spouting off that its some crazy ultra hardened stainless steel is hearsay as far as my research goes.. I dont think they would take the time to ultra harden the whole body anyways. Stainless steel is already "Ultra-Hard" in comparison to an other steel. Also i'm pretty sure most cold rolled metals that thick could take that sledge hammer hit pretty much the same, the stainless aspect just make it not rust.

You can literally walk into home depot, buy a carbide drill bit and easily drill holes in three oh stainless that's thicker than this with a standard hand held battery powered drill. Heck you don't even NEED oil.. you just put the drill on the slower setting. it doesn't even take that long.

if you want a 1/2" hole, you just step it. Any metal that thick you would. You spot punch, drill in increments till you reach the size you desire.. would probably take less than a minute.

Edit: This is from there own article. So they clearly have never even tried to actually drill stainless steel.. "Franz Holzhauser stepped up to the plate and delivered several manly blows to the truck with a 12 lb sledge hammer. Not a dent in the gleaming 301 stainless steel side of the vehicle." -Jack Richard

Last edited: