Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Check your B pillar for wear.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed today while detailing my one year old X that the edge of the b pillar which is just leather is starting to show signs of wear. I am being a little more careful now exiting and entering the car to avoid further wear.
I noticed this at a recent service visit as well and mentioned it to the tech that was with me. I hadn't noticed it before, nor have I noticed bumping or even brushing it when entering and exiting the vehicle. Strange.

I had this same problem with a Lexus LS 460. The B pillar where I slid into the fully extended seat had an extreme amount of wear and because it was made of padded leather like material, It wore through in just a short time and looked horrible. I told Lexus that it was a bad design and that a replacement piece made of slick plastic would not be that noticeable and stand up to this wear that happens when tall people slide into the seat. No reply, no change and all they offered was to replace the part at the going rate of the replacement piece + labor. Waited until I sold it to replace it so it wouldn't stand out, but not the best solution. This apparently has haunted me and followed me to the Tesla. Spoke to the SC and also to the approved body shop here in KC but all I got was suggestion to replace it and learn to get into the car differently. Only 300 miles on the odo and it will certainly do this again soon. Any suggestions? Seems like a slick hard plastic piece glued to the edge overlying the wear area should prevent further degradation. Can't find the right material but still looking. Tried XPEL piece on the Lexus but that didn't work either.

Attachments

• IMG_8087.JPG
    IMG_8087.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 547
I had this same problem with a Lexus LS 460. The B pillar where I slid into the fully extended seat had an extreme amount of wear and because it was made of padded leather like material, It wore through in just a short time and looked horrible. I told Lexus that it was a bad design and that a replacement piece made of slick plastic would not be that noticeable and stand up to this wear that happens when tall people slide into the seat. No reply, no change and all they offered was to replace the part at the going rate of the replacement piece + labor. Waited until I sold it to replace it so it wouldn't stand out, but not the best solution. This apparently has haunted me and followed me to the Tesla. Spoke to the SC and also to the approved body shop here in KC but all I got was suggestion to replace it and learn to get into the car differently. Only 300 miles on the odo and it will certainly do this again soon. Any suggestions? Seems like a slick hard plastic piece glued to the edge overlying the wear area should prevent further degradation. Can't find the right material but still looking. Tried XPEL piece on the Lexus but that didn't work either.

Google "abs thermoform plastics". Something like this. ABS SHEET FR GRADE - (FLAME RETARDANT ABS SHEET) - Order Online
You might be able to make a trim piece with these sheets like you suggested to Lexus.

When I returned to the SC, they replaced it without a word otherwise. Just noticed it several days later when I was showing my wife a fix I did with an adhesive piece of carbon fiber vinyl sheet from Auto Zone. Still had the one that I installed on the passenger side as this is going to show wear more now that I pay attention to how I get in on the driver's side. Ideally should wrap the whole B pillar trim piece but I don't know how hard it is to remove it. Matches the carbon fiber interior and probably will be a good fix. Thanks for the other suggestions too.