Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevrolet Spark EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I never got confirmation, but these look like Chevy Sparks in the background. Destroyed by superstorm Sandy.

20289839721446110180.jpg

What Zoe have to do with Spark? Have you heard of the price of Zoe? Renault charge $112 monthly for the life of the vehicle. No way around it. For example Volt lease cost as low as ~$199 monthly. But Volt is $40k vehicle. And Zoe being leased for $112 while still require $21,840 down payment.

So Zoe essentially have a price of over $50k++. Way more then fifty grands actually(yeah lifetime payment take it toll). Compare it to $25k Spark. Feel the difference.

No wonder scrap like Renault don't even try to compete on North American market.

It's the battery that is leased, and it is around $90 per month not 112. If you factor in the fact you will have to replace the battery on the Spark at some point, the difference in price of both vehicle isn't so big. The rental of the battery with Renault guaranty you will have a good battery throughout the life of the car. Might not be the perfect setup, but it has some merit, we'll see on the long run. I guestimated that if Renault was charging for the battery it would put the price of the car to around $35k (that includes the average 20% VAT we have in Europe), so yes it is more expensive than the Spark. I wait to see if Chevy will really sell it for 25k (and that doesn't include taxes).

I was reading Engadget... Did not expect to see any EV related news... But here we go:

2014 Spark EV: under $25,000, 0-60 in 8 seconds and a 20-minute fast charge

Could be a killer car in regards of popularizing EV...

I don't see it going very far, personally.
In it's favor it's a peppy, fun-to-drive little car.
Not in it's favor, it's priced almost as much as the base Leaf, and if rumour becomes reality, will find itself more expensive than the Leaf in 2013. Also, in the US, it's only being sold in California and Oregon.
Personally, I'm willing to spend just a bit more for the larger American-built Nissan than the Korean-built Chevy.

On the other hand, if you are in a location where the LEAF pack life may be suspect you'd be better off in the long run with the A123 cells in the Spark.

A123 cells may handle high temperature better than Nissan's cells (or may not). However the A123 designed and built liquid cooling system should make a big difference in cell life in hot climates, vs. Nissan's passive cooling.

The Spark looks like a great A class car, and the EV version looks nicer than the gas version (as any properly specified EV will be). However I am disappointed that GM chose an A class vehicle for their EV. It looks too much like a "punishment car." I am willing to spend extra for an EV, but I want "more car." GM already has the C class Volt, picking the D class Malibu would have produced a much more desireable EV. I strongly suspect that most potential EV buyers feel the same way. Almost everyone with money to spend on new tech will not be shopping for A class cars.

GSP

They have the Cadillac ELR for the level above the Volt. Don't forget this was developed for Korea originally.

True. The ELR will be priced higher, have more equipment, and perhaps more range and power. GM does have a good strategy from a price perspective with the Spark, Volt, and ELR.

However, the ELR is a two door and will likely have even less passenger and cargo space than the Volt. This size of car, and all two door cars for that matter, appeal to a smaller population than a D class sedan. The bulk of US car sales are Malibu, Fusion, Accord, Camary, etc.

Tesla has the right strategy with the S and X, offer a ridiculous amount of utility, *more* than the gas cars listed above! :smile:

GSP

On the other hand, if you are in a location where the LEAF pack life may be suspect you'd be better off in the long run with the A123 cells in the Spark.

It's actually better than just more heat resistant battery chemistry; the Spark also has active thermal management of the battery that LEAF does not.

But, the Spark is much more physically sized to the Mitsubishi i-Miev than the larger LEAF. And you lose quick charging access (there won't be ANY "Frankenplug" quick chargers anywhere soon).

True. The ELR will be priced higher, have more equipment, and perhaps more range and power. GM does have a good strategy from a price perspective with the Spark, Volt, and ELR.

However, the ELR is a two door and will likely have even less passenger and cargo space than the Volt. This size of car, and all two door cars for that matter, appeal to a smaller population than a D class sedan. The bulk of US car sales are Malibu, Fusion, Accord, Camary, etc.

Tesla has the right strategy with the S and X, offer a ridiculous amount of utility, *more* than the gas cars listed above! :smile:

GSP

Model S doesn't exactly fit into the class of cars you list above. Model S is priced even higher than the ELR will be. Now that we find out that the "under $50,000" Model S is pure fantasy (just as I suspected it would be), it's going to be at least another two generations of product before Tesla plays in the section of the market that the bulk of the population can reasonably afford.

Correct strategy to build the company, but not exactly bringing EV's to the masses yet. GM probably could have filled a Mailbu with batteries and come up with some decent range, but would the buying public accept a $55,000 Malibu? For the intended market of the Malibu (families), that's a pretty tough nut to crack.

At current battery prices small cars will continue to dominate the EV market. I think the Spark EV should do okay, the specs look good.

Chevrolet Spark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Chevrolet Spark, originally branded prominently as the Daewoo Matiz, is a city car produced by the South Korean automaker GM Korea, marketed worldwide since 1998 when it replaced the Daewoo Tico. The Matiz was originally designed by Italdesign Giugiaro and has been available solely as a five-door hatchback. The second generation model was introduced in 2005, with the third generation launched in 2010. All generations of the car have been sold under both Daewoo and various General Motors brands, and have been manufactured and marketed under license agreements by local automakers in several countries.