Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevrolet Spark EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got an ICE Spark from Hertz last year. It was supposedly an upgrade. From what? It was a tuna can. The electric version may sell and will obviously be much more powerful. It's VERY small and the ICE version is a deathtrap.

Funny, I rented one in San Diego to drive up to my brother's house in Riverside and quite liked it. It is incredibly small. All I had was a carry-on bag and I had to turn it sideways to fit into the hatchback. I found it quite stable on the freeway and was impressed by the feature set for such a small entry-level car. Much preferable to the Toyota Echo I had the time before.

spark 1.JPG
spark 2.JPG

I thought the acceleration was dangerous at freeway speeds. I'm sure that will be moot in the electric version. It just didn't feel safe to be on an interstate with something that accelerated so poorly. To be fair, it's not really designed to be a road trip vehicle as far as comfort and storage.

GM announced 82 miles of range for the Spark EV today. I'm seriously considering one as my second around-town car to compliment a Model X. Good low-end torque in a small car just right for commuting to work, taking the kids to school in the morning, and chores downtown. Will be interested to see how final pricing works out after state and federal incentives.

GM announced 82 miles of range for the Spark EV today. I'm seriously considering one as my second around-town car to compliment a Model X. Good low-end torque in a small car just right for commuting to work, taking the kids to school in the morning, and chores downtown. Will be interested to see how final pricing works out after state and federal incentives.

You do know that a currently available LEAF has an EPA 84 mile range at 100% charge? EPA averages the data for an 80% charge on a LEAF that isn't done on the Spark.

Only the Rav4 EV shares this 80%/100% averaged EPA number (92 miles and 113 miles for 103 average EPA miles). The number is averaged to 75 for a 2013 LEAF.

The LEAF is significantly larger, and has plenty of "low end torque". It also has fast charge capability that exists today all over SoCal, should you decide to drive toward LA.

Last edited:
Yes, this car is inferior to the leaf in pretty much every way. A big miss.

It's smaller and less expensive than the Leaf, but I quite liked the gas version I rented earlier this year. It is fairly roomy for it's exterior size, and even my rental had a very nice feature set included. It had the big touchscreen (well, not Tesla sized) with Audio, Bluetooth etc. and seemed like it was put together well. The range doesn't fit my needs (my commute is 100+ miles round trip) but otherwise I would consider it. The exterior design is a bit polarizing, but then so is the Leaf's, I suppose.

If you're just looking for an around-town car, you might look for an iMiEV - apparently they are blowing those out... I've seen them listed in the low $20k range so after tax credits and rebates will put it in the $10k range "out the door".

That will be almost half the price of any other EV, really hard to argue with that.

If you're just looking for an around-town car, you might look for an iMiEV - apparently they are blowing those out... I've seen them listed in the low $20k range so after tax credits and rebates will put it in the $10k range "out the door".

That will be almost half the price of any other EV, really hard to argue with that.

The Smart EV coming out this fall is also going to be quite cheap. But I wouldn't dare take that thing onto an interstate. :scared:

You do know that a currently available LEAF has an EPA 84 mile range at 100% charge? EPA averages the data for an 80% charge on a LEAF that isn't done on the Spark.

Only the Rav4 EV shares this 80%/100% averaged EPA number (92 miles and 113 miles for 103 average EPA miles). The number is averaged to 75 for a 2013 LEAF.

The LEAF is significantly larger, and has plenty of "low end torque". It also has fast charge capability that exists today all over SoCal, should you decide to drive toward LA.

Yeah, the LEAF's on my radar as well. I like the higher-performance motor that the Spark should have, and I don't need the additional size for this vehicle. Once the Spark is out, I'll give both a test drive and see which appeals more relative to the price. The $200 lease on the LEAF is a steal. Will be interesting to see if GM tries something similar.

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately, there isn't a local Mitsubishi dealer in Santa Barbara, which makes me hesitant to buy one with any necessary service a 60-80 mile drive away. That's a great price. I didn't know they were going so cheaply.

There are a few iMiEVs around here, and a fellow at an EV club I go to drives on. He quite likes it. My wife liked the new Fiat 500 when she saw one at a dealership and I understand they've got an electric version, too.

I think it's great that we're coming to the point where we can actually debate which EV is better or worse!

- - - Updated - - -

The Smart EV coming out this fall is also going to be quite cheap. But I wouldn't dare take that thing onto an interstate. :scared:

I saw an electric Smart at the Toronto Auto Show, and the rep was telling me they are really intended as city cars. In fact, he suggested they may not even be fast enough for freeway travel from a practical perspective. (0 to 60 times calibrated by calendar rather than stopwatch). I do see gas (and early diesel) ones on the freeways here... and it does seem freaky taking something so small out amongst high speed cars and transport trucks!

It's smaller and less expensive than the Leaf, but I quite liked the gas version I rented earlier this year. It is fairly roomy for it's exterior size, and even my rental had a very nice feature set included. It had the big touchscreen (well, not Tesla sized) with Audio, Bluetooth etc. and seemed like it was put together well. The range doesn't fit my needs (my commute is 100+ miles round trip) but otherwise I would consider it. The exterior design is a bit polarizing, but then so is the Leaf's, I suppose.

My understanding is that the Spark EV would be $25k after federal credit. That means $32.5k sticker price. The LEAF-S is $28.8k, or $21.3k net.

Last edited:
I don't get this car.....Why would you make such a small EV when Americans laughed at the smart car that was released several years ago? The Leaf is the perfect size for an EV if we are not talking about looking like a regular car (Model S).

I don't get this car.....Why would you make such a small EV when Americans laughed at the smart car that was released several years ago? The Leaf is the perfect size for an EV if we are not talking about looking like a regular car (Model S).
Via: http://www.goodcarbadcar.net
Because the sales numbers are better than any EV. Look at the YTD for the March 2013 numbers.

13WGr.jpeg