Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Volt original Blink Charger on Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got one of the first Chevy Volts in the DC area in 2012 and thanks to the Dept. of Energy got a free Blink 220 volt charger. I tried charging an M3 with an adapter a couple months ago overnight and it worked fine - full charge. Now that I've just taken deliver of my new M3+ I'm charging again (because the dealer didn't have the courtesy to deliver fully charged - it was only 39%). But here's the question. I believe the Blink is a 32amp charger. It is connected to a 220 V outlet with a 40amp breaker. So when I first started charging the display read 32 amps. Then it did a software update and stopped charging. When it finished, and resumed charging it was only at 24amps. What's up? Also, could I be charging at 40 amps if I just plugged into the wall outlet using an appropriate Tesla adapter?

Both the Blink unit and the car can change the negotiated current limit. If the car makes the decision, it will tell you why on the screen. If the Blink unit has made the decision (whether due to temperature issues, "smart" charging features, etc. - I'm not familiar with Blink units) then the car probably won't say anything. But there can be many reasons for a reduction in this current. Notably, if the car is limiting it, this rarely indicates a failing Power Conversion System (onboard charger), but rarely.

I've charged at an especially flaky unit that constantly varied its current. Something was clearly up with it, but it was something related to the unit and not the car.

By "M3+", I assume you mean you have the Standard Range Plus? These are limited to a maximum of 32A from AC charging sources. If you have the Long Range it can go up to 48A. But the thing you plug the adapters into (the Mobile Connector, sometimes called the UMC) can only support up to 32A anyways! To get anything more, you either need the "Corded Mobile Connector" for up to 40A (this has a NEMA 14-50 plug on the end and no adapters), or a higher power wall unit (e.g. a higher powered Blink or a Tesla Wall Connector). For either of those options, your current circuit likely couldn't support them - they can only pull 80% of the otherwise rated maximum for safety reasons, since it's a long-time constant load.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Hi, the Blink device (I have one too) is just plugged into the wall - most likely a NEMA 6-50. Are you 100% sure it is on a 40 amp breaker? The standard install was 50 amps
Go get a NEMA 6-50 adapter from Tesla, and use the UMC with it. It's a 50amp plug with 40amp service. You should be able to pull in 32 amps using the current UMC or 40 amps using the GEN1 UMC

I have one of those old Blink EVSEs from 2011 still going strong. A few years ago the last Blink software update reduced the maximum current from 32 to 24 amps to prevent overheating of the handle.
Those units were notorious for crappy pin crimping in the J1772 handle by REMA. That's why Blink down-rated the output by software update. Many EVs had their charge ports damaged by those poorly made REMA connectors before Blink reduced the current.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Thanks to all for the useful info. Yes, I have an M3 standard range plus (Sorry, still learning the lingo including "UMC"). Thanks to gaswalla for my best solution to at least push my home charging up from 24 amps to 32 amps. And thanks to sdjtd for alerting me to recent upgrades (downgrades?) to my Blink charger and the software update a few years ago that throttled it's max from 32A to 24A. So I'm going to buy a new Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2 NEMA Adapter, 6-50 OEM Original Tesla 1104936-10-C on eBay for $39, then plug that directly into the 6-50 wall outlet with UMC and hope it starts overnight charging at 32A. I'll then be able to get rid of the Blink all together. 32A is sufficient for me as I'm retired and only need overnight charging about once a week (life wouldn't change much even if I kept it at 24A but I'm always going for the max on everything...that's why I now own a Tesla!)

Thanks to all for the useful info. Yes, I have an M3 standard range plus (Sorry, still learning the lingo including "UMC"). Thanks to gaswalla for my best solution to at least push my home charging up from 24 amps to 32 amps. And thanks to sdjtd for alerting me to recent upgrades (downgrades?) to my Blink charger and the software update a few years ago that throttled it's max from 32A to 24A. So I'm going to buy a new Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2 NEMA Adapter, 6-50 OEM Original Tesla 1104936-10-C on eBay for $39, then plug that directly into the 6-50 wall outlet with UMC and hope it starts overnight charging at 32A. I'll then be able to get rid of the Blink all together. 32A is sufficient for me as I'm retired and only need overnight charging about once a week (life wouldn't change much even if I kept it at 24A but I'm always going for the max on everything...that's why I now own a Tesla!)

The 6-50 UMC adapter is only $35 from the Tesla store: Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

So I finally received and started using the 6-50 adapter with the UMC and it works great - 32 amp charging which I understand is the max amperage on my M3 standard plus. So I took down the Blink Ecotality charger that I no longer need and put it on eBay. I have one more question regarding this simpler/better way to charge: when not charging the car should I keep the UMC plugged into the wall outlet or unplug it? If left in is it using much electricity and/or will it make it wear out sooner?
thx.

So I finally received and started using the 6-50 adapter with the UMC and it works great - 32 amp charging which I understand is the max amperage on my M3 standard plus. So I took down the Blink Ecotality charger that I no longer need and put it on eBay. I have one more question regarding this simpler/better way to charge: when not charging the car should I keep the UMC plugged into the wall outlet or unplug it? If left in is it using much electricity and/or will it make it wear out sooner?
thx.

Leave it plugged in. No need to wear out the outlet/adapter for a couple watts. Get a holster or something to hold up the UMC so its not dangling by its cord, as the adapters tend to slowly work themselves out of the UMC.

Reactions: Rocky_H and miimura