Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chill mode!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That said, I've found it to be one of those 90% solutions. All is well until you step upon the accelerator (pedal) and there's no there there. Well, there's a there there, but it's an ICE there as there is a noticeable delay before anything useful happens.

Sounds like they need a "Smart Chill" mode, where if you mash the accelerator, Chill mode lets you go full throttle, but if you just press lightly or smoothly, it smooths the curve.

Agreed. Like this:
Suggested chill.PNG

Sounds like they need a "Smart Chill" mode, where if you mash the accelerator, Chill mode lets you go full throttle, but if you just press lightly or smoothly, it smooths the curve.

Exactly. It kinda baffles me that it's not already like like. This is disappointing, as I think I would've liked a "Smart Chill" (or maybe "Not-Dumb Chill") mode.

Volts/Bolts have a similar thing where you can choose between "Normal" or "Sport" modes. Both modes have the same max power when you floor it, but the accelerator pedal is more sensitive in "Sport", and it's easier to drive more efficiently in "Normal".

Reactions: Az_Rael
And coming up in 15.1: stress mode.

In stress mode the 0 to 60 is slashed from 5.1 seconds to a record 3 seconds and the turning signals are disabled.

In an effort to make autopilot behave more like a human, the distance between the car in front is reduced to 1 car length and the honk and high beams are automatically applied until the car in front moves over.

Exactly. It kinda baffles me that it's not already like like. This is disappointing, as I think I would've liked a "Smart Chill" (or maybe "Not-Dumb Chill") mode.

Volts/Bolts have a similar thing where you can choose between "Normal" or "Sport" modes. Both modes have the same max power when you floor it, but the accelerator pedal is more sensitive in "Sport", and it's easier to drive more efficiently in "Normal".

My Spark EV also has a sport mode, but I haven't really used it. The 400 lb-ft of torque can make the stock tires slip even without it.

Same with the BMW i3. In ECO mode, the pedal is less sensitive, but if you floor it, you get all of the beans. I agree chill mode from Tesla should be this way. I think I would use Chill mode more often if this were the case.

Well, 12.1 gave me an option I've been whining about not having, so I guess it's only fair that 14.1 brings one I will never, ever have any reason to use.

I thought the same thing in my S......

BUT.....my carsick-prone dog has traveled over 1700 miles in the car in Chill Mode, without barfing. So there IS a use-case for it. ;)

EDIT: Forgot the other use-case, winter.

Regen and acceleration in an EV, especially a heavy one, can be a little strong.

Chill mode limits the slip when getting moving, and low-regen limits how quickly your drive wheels slow down in the snow.

I learned that lesson my first week with the car. My RWD got a little squirrely on a snowy road in Standard/Standard, so I switched over to Chill/Low anytime the roads were slick, and my S85 with Michelin Primacys handled like a dream all through the New England winter.

(Ignore that last half if you live anywhere warm, though.)

I am glad chill mode is coming. Having a 70 miles commute mostly on auto pilot in traffic jam around NVA is the worst. I been pissing off people because the car accelerated and then slamming on brakes. Around here every one tend to tail gating. I been given a middle finger while doing auto pilot on 270/495. I just smile and enjoy my auto pilot :). If i was driving, I would get into road rage every days.

I read somewhere (I think it was the manual, but I’m too lazy to look) that, although ludacris mode increases battery usage, chill mode doesn’t decrease it.

So, it’s all for show (or lack thereof), not for economy.

Edit: found it. Page 68

Attachments

• 148A8673-2971-476B-882F-90CC596DA1BB.jpeg
    148A8673-2971-476B-882F-90CC596DA1BB.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 57
The more I thought about this, the more it seems like Tesla really ought to do more here. It would be SO easy for them. Most cars have eco and sport modes, etc. How about this (obviously there are more permutations.....)

View attachment 294942
They have sports mode because of the automatic transmission. They change the “gear ratio” in favor of something that is faster but more energy intensive.

That is not applicable to an electric car. The default mode is essentially sports mode.

For those that have suffered pedal confusion, chill mode could greatly reduce the damage, unless you had this "smart" mode where the outcome would be unchanged. So it could be useful for the first month of driving your new car, or for the folks that feel creep is required in order to accurately park (instead of creep).

• Helpful
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad