Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chill mode!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
adcc1cb654e89f2e404688ae0d1bbc942ce02e5d
ludacris mode

Ludacris or ludicrous? :D

Reactions: FatherK
chill mode on a P100D makes complete sense... in normal or L mode it's quicker than basically every production car in the world and a ton quicker than your "average" large sport sedan.

But on the M3?? Even the LR one isn't really significantly quicker than the "average" mid-sized sport sedan, and slower than some, in normal mode... and hell the SR one is barely quicker than a freaking V6 accord.

chill mode on a P100D makes complete sense... in normal or L mode it's quicker than basically every production car in the world and a ton quicker than your "average" large sport sedan.

But on the M3?? Even the LR one isn't really significantly quicker than the "average" mid-sized sport sedan, and slower than some, in normal mode... and hell the SR one is barely quicker than a freaking V6 accord.
Yes, but EVs have break-neck torque available NOW. Chill mode can have value

Reactions: gavine
Sounds like they need a "Smart Chill" mode, where if you mash the accelerator, Chill mode lets you go full throttle, but if you just press lightly or smoothly, it smooths the curve.
That is the way "ECO" mode is implemented in every car I am familiar with. The go pedal is remapped to give a shallower gain initially and a larger gain as the pedal is decreased further. A pedal floored is the same response in any mode.

Reactions: Juice13
Yes, but EVs have break-neck torque available NOW. Chill mode can have value

I mean... not really?

Even the S75D, which is significantly quicker than the M3, while also being much heavier, isn't "breakneck"... (a P100D is though!)

The M3 is a ~5 second 0-60 car (you can debate if it's "really" 5.1 or "really" 4.8 or whatever, but that's the ballpark).

Real-life torque output on it is roughly around 300 ft-lbs, based on both reliable reports (Motor Trend for example measured it at 307) and its actual performance numbers (the one much larger result after disabling all electronic controls on a dyno not being real-life).

That's decent enough for a mid-sized sport sedan certainly... and the lack of any throttle lag helps it keep up with the ICE ones with higher peak TQ numbers... but breakneck? Not unless all your previous cars had double-digit 0-60 times or something.

Just picked up my car from service and it has version 14.1 software - enjoying my new chill mode!

I do like chill mode - it takes the rough edges off, and over a day of driving, that can reduce fatigue.

I am lovin’ chill mode!!! I have slowed down my constant petal to the metal mentality! But know at any point I have an ace in my pocket when needed.

Took a first test drive in a MP3DLR today... I have a M3DLR on order and asked the salesdroid if they didn't have a non-performance, dual motor model we could drive. They didn't. He claimed 'Chill mode' (which at that point I had never heard of) emulated the 'standard' performance level.

Pretty sure he was wrong, and in fact I really hope he was wrong, because chill mode sucked. Big time. Yes, i can understand why you might use it occasionally, but man it just clips the balls right off the car. I had to put it in performance mode... It felt like the slowest car I have driven in years with Chill engaged. Like driving a rental POS when trying to accelerate to highway speeds or pass a car.

I'm a bit freaked out right now, as I really have no idea how the car i'm taking delivery on next week will really perform. If the salesdroid is right, I will hate it. But again, pretty sure he isn't...

My absolute biggest complaint with Tesla these days is that the these sales guys seem incredibly undertrained and mis-informed and seem to simply make stuff up. Not the first time it's happened... Last time I was in the showroom one of them was 100% sure the performance model would have air suspension. Another claimed there was an *immediate* 50% reduction in federal tax credit as soon as Tesla hit 200K deliveries. Woefully uninformed.

Elon really needs to get on that. It's a sad day when an average Ford sales guy has more accurate product knowledge of his offerings than a Tesla rep has of their own currently-in-production product.

Last edited:
Took a first test drive in a MP3DLR today... I have a M3DLR on order and asked the salesdroid if they didn't have a non-performance, dual motor model we could drive. They didn't. He claimed 'Chill mode' (which at that point I had never heard of) emulated the 'standard' performance level.

Pretty sure he was wrong, and in fact I really hope he was wrong, because chill mode sucked. Big time. Yes, i can understand why you might use it occasionally, but man it just clips the balls right off the car. I had to put it in performance mode... It felt like the slowest car I have driven in years with Chill engaged. Like driving a rental POS when trying to accelerate to highway speeds or pass a car.

I'm a bit freaked out right now, as I really have no idea how the car i'm taking delivery on next week will really perform. If the salesdroid is right, I will hate it. But again, pretty sure he isn't...

My absolute biggest complaint with Tesla these days is that the these sales guys seem incredibly undertrained and mis-informed and seem to simply make stuff up. Not the first time it's happened... Last time I was in the showroom one of them was 100% sure the performance model would have air suspension. Another claimed there was an *immediate* 50% reduction in federal tax credit as soon as Tesla hit 200K deliveries. Woefully uninformed.

Elon really needs to get on that. It's a sad day when an average Ford sales guy has more accurate product knowledge of his offerings than a Tesla rep has of their own currently-in-production product.
Rest assured that this is 100% wrong. Chill mode 0-60 on the P3D is around 7s while NonP AWD is rated at 4.5s. Someone on YouTube measured chill mode on the P3 and posted a video. FWIW chill mode on the P3 is even slower than the RWD - noticeably so. I say this as someone who spent a day driving the RWD and who also was one of the first to test drive the P3D (and I tried chill mode).

• Helpful

Your acronym usage is painful to read. Let me help please. :)

You test drove a 3P+ and was hoping to test drive a 3LRD.

Not all sales rep not delivery people not any other role at Tesla is created equal. I believe the S and X have proper emulation modes for lower performance trims but they don’t exist in the 3.

Pretty sure the idea of chill mode is to cut acceleration when it’s the most jarring - at the start. No way the AWD drives like that.

I technically have chill mode options in my X and 3P+ but I pretend they don’t exist. Maybe when I start driving out to play a bingo, I could consider it. Not for the next half century however.

It’s not all about roller coaster launches. Thats only true 99 percent of the time.

The rest of the time is being able to GTFO of danger. Best way to get out of a bad situation is to accelerate out of it.

Chill mode on a Tesla is as dumb as ordering a taco surpreme without sour cream and tomatoes.

Edit: @Koflach likes Bingo apparently.

Last edited:
Your acronym usage is painful to read. Let me help please. :)

You test drove a 3P+ and was hoping to test drive a 3LRD.

Not all sales rep not delivery people not any other role at Tesla is created equal. I believe the S and X have proper emulation modes for lower performance trims but they don’t exist in the 3.

Pretty sure the idea of chill mode is to cut acceleration when it’s the most jarring - at the start. No way the AWD drives like that.

I technically have chill mode options in my X and 3P+ but I pretend they don’t exist. Maybe when I start driving out to play a bingo, I could consider it. Not for the next half century however.

Chill mode on a Tesla is as dumb as ordering a taco surpreme without sour cream and tomatoes.
i'm pretty sure the idea of chill mode is to reduce your consumption of electricity to help extend your range...

Reactions: Eclipse3EB
i'm pretty sure the idea of chill mode is to reduce your consumption of electricity to help extend your range...

Hell no on cripple mode.

Went to Vegas as a 60D. Saw a warning to slow down to make it to the next supercharger.

Came back to Cali as a 75D.

You reduce your options for evasive maneuvers if you willfully gut your acceleration capabilities.

You can feather the accelerator if you must reduce your power consumption.

Last edited:
Hell no on cripple mode.

Went to Vegas as a 60D. Saw a warning to slow down to make it to the next supercharger.

Came back to Cali as a 75D.

You reduce your options for evasive maneuvers if you willfully gut your acceleration capabilities.

You can feather the accelerator if you must reduce your power consumption.

I have two carsick-prone dogs. I prefer to think of it as "not looking for a rest area to wipe down the interior" mode.

I don’t want chill mode on when **I** am driving, but I also would like the ability to set the car to use chill mode when AP is engaged.
I agree. It seems to me that regardless of your car's normal settings when driving, when full TACC is being used, it should have a smoother curve (i.e. chill mode), and regen braking should be at max. There's no reason the car can't smooth things out when it's controlling speed.