Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China Market situation and outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The funny thing is, they're thinking that 469 in January then 260 in February for China is some major collapse. I was only modeling for only 664 vehicles sold in China in Q1. They're already claiming that the number is 729 in just the first two months. That's the entire China overhang from last quarter plus all the new imports with another month to go. I don't see that as a negative.

Very interesting that there isn't a single journalist reporting on Elon Musk being in China or the meetings Tesla has held in China in the past two weeks, but every "journalist" is claiming demand in China must be weak, because some 1 star analyst believes shipments = demand even though Elon been explicitely clear that isn't the case.

Did American journalists forget weibo exists? Did Elon intentionally not tell western media outlets that he is in China so investors and analysts will be surprised when new developments in China are confirmed? Makes a lot more sense than the half baked analysis from analysts that has been reported over the past few weeks.

Last edited:
No they are allowed. That's an outdated regulation from when EVs were glorified golf carts. The Nissan leaf, bmw i3, and Kia Ray/Soul are all EVs that are allowed on highways in Korea. Dunno why Tesla hasn't entered the market. After Dubai, Seoul is the largest luxury car market in the world(for a city)

My expectation is that they will enter Korea eventually. My guess why China before Korea is because China is larger. I agree with you that entering Korea first might have been easier and could have led to more sales.

Korea makes more sensing for setting up a charging network. It's basically an island the size of ohio but contains the population equal to the entire west coast. They could have set up a nationwide charging network pretty easily. I would think it would have made more sense to sell tesla in island nations like Singapore, Taipei, and Seoul before opening up China. 4 or 5 superchargers would cover a population of 50 million in Korea.
Despite China's size it isn't that much bigger of a market for premium cars than places like Seoul. I think Seoul is the number 4 or 5 sized market for the S-Class globally.

Korea makes more sensing for setting up a charging network. It's basically an island the size of ohio but contains the population equal to the entire west coast. They could have set up a nationwide charging network pretty easily. I would think it would have made more sense to sell tesla in island nations like Singapore, Taipei, and Seoul before opening up China. 4 or 5 superchargers would cover a population of 50 million in Korea.
Despite China's size it isn't that much bigger of a market for premium cars than places like Seoul. I think Seoul is the number 4 or 5 sized market for the S-Class globally.

I agree, I have been surprised that there is not more presence from Tesla in Korea. KIA motors have the Soul EV but it's hardly a luxury car :)

Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk visited Tsinghua University and talked to Mr. Qiu Yong, the President of the University (google translate).
From the article:
Musk and Yong talking about innovation and that an intelligent workforce helps to innovate in the future where as patents lock in gains from innovations in the past.
Since 1997 Mr. Qiu Yong led an OLED research project team, in 2002 he was involved in building the first Chinese mainland OLED pilot production line and in 2008 China’s first self-designed pieces OLED mass production line in Kunshan production.
In September 27, 2008, Qiu Yong team OLED products were used for the first time on the space suit, some kind of link to SpaceX;)
2015-03-26-Musk-ChinaUniversity.jpg

During the talks Qiu Yong said “Everyone wants to be the next Elon Musk!”.

BTW I did not know EM was that tall:
2015-03-26-Musk-ChinaUniversity-2.jpg

Management from automotive industry as well as people from Automotive Engineering Department of Tsinghua University attended the talks.

BTW I did not know EM was that tall:
View attachment 76014

It's all relative!

I found this question on Quora:
How tall is Elon Musk? Google and IMDB says that he is 5' 11¼" / 181cm, but old Inc magazine article refers him as well over 6 ft. So how it really is?

With the following (great) answer from Steve Pender:
Elon Musk is a giant among men. Some say he is 6' tall, others say he is 8 feet if he is an inch. Yet others say he is so tall that he could jump straight over the Great Pyramid in one leap, but whoever said that last one is a god damn liar. We can safely be sure that he's somewhere between 5'10-6'1.

:)

+1000

I agree, I have been surprised that there is not more presence from Tesla in Korea. KIA motors have the Soul EV but it's hardly a luxury car :)

Yeah it would make sense since Tesla does have a relationship with Samsung SDI. Anyways there are a few model S in Seoul(grey market). BMW has a pretty big presence with the i3 and i8. With 1 or 2 stores and 5 superchargers Tesla could easily sell a couple thousand model S per year in Korea. Gas is $2.50/liter and leases are 100% deductible from your income. Almost all the apartments have underground parking. Very few people park their cars on the street in residential areas. Plus there are huge incentives for EV's in Jeju Island(they are trying to make the island all EV by 2030)
South Korea island of Jeju becoming an EV-incentive heaven
BMW already set up an island wide charging network for the i3 in Jeju

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla's international expansion in China doesn't make any sense. Why would they open up a store in Xian, China before places like Singapore, Seoul, Taipei, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Jakarta, Kuala Lampur or Doha? I think Tesla's mistakes in China have delayed their expansion in Asia by several years. Registering/selling only a couple hundred in Feb in China despite having almost 10 stores/service centers and 64 superchargers in China is a horrible misallocation of resources. 64 supercharges would provide 100% coverage for the rest of Asia as opposed to an incomplete charging network in China. The single Maserati dealership in Seoul sells 100 car/month.

Yeah it would make sense since Tesla does have a relationship with Samsung SDI. Anyways there are a few model S in Seoul(grey market). BMW has a pretty big presence with the i3 and i8. With 1 or 2 stores and 5 superchargers Tesla could easily sell a couple thousand model S per year in Korea. Gas is $2.50/liter and leases are 100% deductible from your income. Almost all the apartments have underground parking. Very few people park their cars on the street in residential areas. Plus there are huge incentives for EV's in Jeju Island(they are trying to make the island all EV by 2030)
South Korea island of Jeju becoming an EV-incentive heaven
BMW already set up an island wide charging network for the i3 in Jeju

Interesting information from Korea, thanks for sharing.

Korea.JPG

These incentives seem quite impressive if they are applicable to Tesla purchase.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla's international expansion in China doesn't make any sense. Why would they open up a store in Xian, China before places like Singapore, Seoul, Taipei, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Jakarta, Kuala Lampur or Doha? I think Tesla's mistakes in China have delayed their expansion in Asia by several years. Registering/selling only a couple hundred in Feb in China despite having almost 10 stores/service centers and 64 superchargers in China is a horrible misallocation of resources. 64 supercharges would provide 100% coverage for the rest of Asia as opposed to an incomplete charging network in China. The single Maserati dealership in Seoul sells 100 car/month.

That is why share price is where it is. Market (and this poster) agrees with you.

Interesting information from Korea, thanks for sharing.

View attachment 76017

These incentives seem quite impressive if they are applicable to Tesla purchase.

- - - Updated - - -

That is why share price is where it is. Market (and this poster) agrees with you.

Yeah elons whole press conference about range anxiety is pointless when they could have expanded into markets with zero range anxiety. You can drive across korea in two hours. singapore in 30 min, same goes for malaysia and indonesia. No range anxiety in any of those countries. Even australia expansion is a severe misallocation of resources. It will take 50+ superchargers to cover all of australia(with low population density) until telsa finishes their network in australia they will only sell a handfull in places like perth. Tesla should focus on asian island nations before expanding anywhere else. The recent blog post that mentions southern alaska is an even worse misallocation of reaources. I hope the person they hire to replace gerome for asia sales knows this.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah expansion in china seems like a complete failure. Probably explains the current stock price. elon had previously said he told his china team to expand recklessly in china. They could have opened up in 10 other markets for less than what they spent in china

Last edited:
Yeah elons whole press conference about range anxiety is pointless when they could have expanded into markets with zero range anxiety. You can drive across korea in two hours. singapore in 30 min, same goes for malaysia and indonesia. No range anxiety in any of those countries. Even australia expansion is a severe misallocation of resources. It will take 50+ superchargers to cover all of australia(with low population density) until telsa finishes their network in australia they will only sell a handfull in places like perth. Tesla should focus on asian island nations before expanding anywhere else. The recent blog post that mentions southern alaska is an even worse misallocation of reaources. I hope the person they hire to replace gerome for asia sales knows this.

It is difficult to understand Tesla expansion decisions looking from the outside. Tackling the most difficult market early on seems counterintuitive. The only way I can understand going to China is that they tried to lay out the infrastructure early on and get it over with, then focus on other developments.

I hope the person they hire for Asia expansion has been there, done that for some other US business.

Seems like they expanded without doing their due dilligence. look at sales in hawaii ~ huge sales because there is no range anxiety and no need for superchargers. regardless, they probably set back asian expansion by a good 3 to 4 years.
they dont need any infrastructure in places like taiwan or korea or singapore. Seems like the company handicapped themselves by expanding so much in china. stores in beijing and shanghai make sense but not places like xian... cant believe they expanded to there.

Seems like they expanded without doing their due dilligence. look at sales in hawaii ~ huge sales because there is no range anxiety and no need for superchargers. regardless, they probably set back asian expansion by a good 3 to 4 years.
they dont need any infrastructure in places like taiwan or korea or singapore. Seems like the company handicapped themselves by expanding so much in china. stores in beijing and shanghai make sense but not places like xian... cant believe they expanded to there.

They will probably come soon to Korea and all these other great places :smile:

It will take much more than weak China sales to handicap Tesla, it is just a small hiccup, soon to be forgotten when electrifying Tesla cars start roaming the world

Maybe they did not have much time for world markets research, too busy making great cars:wink:

Yeah you're probably right but i doubt they will expand in asia before 2017.

The 'mistake' of going after China at the expense of some other low hanging fruit island nations is a combination of bravado (everyone wants the Chinese market) and the strategy that setting up the infrastructure for the model3 which fits with the TM mission statement of bringing renewable energy sources to transportation. The Chinese market for TM has always been selling the model3 IMO. The S/X sales were to provide the high margin income to accomplish that goal. The Osborne Effect is what is really affecting the sales of the S in China in a big way IMO.

Article in Shanghai Daily: Tesla to localise production in China in 3 years

"We have a strong long-term commitment to China, and we tend to establish both local production and local engineering in China," Musk said.Localization could be possible "in three years", he said.

Once the factory reaches full capacity, it is "just the sensible logical thing" to "localize production in China for the Chinese market, in Europe for the European market," Musk said.

"could be possible" makes no statement whether or not it will happen.

Also we got confirmation as why China has surplus inventory (Bloomberg/JL Warren estimates 1,600 cars):

Elon Musk said:
China is the only place on Earth that we have excess inventory. We are essentially selling cars that speculators ordered but were not able to take delivery on

Last edited: