Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China Market situation and outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Btw. Two unofficial "news" for Tesla in China.
1. Tesla will get free license plate in Beijing by end of August;
2. China fast charging standard won't be compatible with Tesla super charging. So Tesla need to modify the spec. to fit China standard. It'll have temporary hit to the Sales in China.

Why does Tesla have to modify its Supercharger standard to meet China's fast charging standard? I thought Superchargers were proprietary.

As far as China sales impact to Tesla bottom line, I'm pretty sure that sales were so low that even a doubling of sales last quarter didn't have a material impact. It can only get better from here but if China's economy does indeed fall off a cliff then who knows.

Yes. Tesla car is not compatible with China charging standard.

I assume he means on the car side.

- - - Updated - - -

China won't affect the bottom line, but it does affect top line. IMO, Tesla should had not lowered its guidance for 2015 if China sale can be picked up, let's say 10K.

As far as China sales impact to Tesla bottom line, I'm pretty sure that sales were so low that even a doubling of sales last quarter didn't have a material impact. It can only get better from here but if China's economy does indeed fall off a cliff then who knows.

Tesla Motors Inc Rules China In Google Searches

The Worlds Most Searched Car Brands: Infographic - Picture 638647 | car News @ Top Speed

Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) may have posted disappointing sales in China in recent quarters, but apparently the company's Model S is very popular there, at least in terms of Google Inc (NASDAQ:GOOG) searches. Of course popularity doesn't necessarily translate into sales, as demonstrated by recent analysis of Google Trends data fromTopSpeed.

the-world-s-most-sea-16_800x0w.jpg

Ironic Japan most searched is BMW while so much of Asia it is Toyota and Honda.

Pakistan,Nepal,Sri Lanka,and the Maldives love googling Lambo.

Unreliable for Japan at least. Typically manufacturer names has two spellings - one in English and one in Japanese. Also for example Japanese spellings for BMW are:
ビーエム
ビーエムダブリュー
ビー・エム・ダブリュー
ベーエムべー
so I think the writer failed to consolidate different spellings of each manufacturers. Maybe for China as well...

Can anyone local or at least with language skills give us an update on what to expect as far as new general market data in China next week is concerned? Just to get a feeling if everything will still be getting worse or if we can hope for a bottom. Just to get a feeling, obviously nobody knows any really reliable facts in the end. Would be much appreciated.

China is usually a waste of time.

Google blocked
Facebook blocked
Netflix probably blocked
Apple iphone blocked for years
Microsoft probably sold a total of one windows copy,
and it got copied 5 billion times .

Tesla will be blocked too i suspect, and now all the internet
Copycat geniuses in china want to build an electric car,
the nextev .

forget China, tesla will never make a penny there ,
just my opinion based on historical precedent .

Last edited:
The truth vs The Perception. The exemption from the lottery is very significant.

Although, it has been largely perceived that Tesla is struggling to cope up in the Chinese automobile market, a recent report shows that
2,147 Tesla Model S were imported by the Chinese consumers in the first half of 2015, which reflect over 80% of the total green vehicle imports. The number seems small for a country where over 23 million vehicles were sold last year. However, for a company that is still young in the industry, it is good progress.

I was in Hong Kong for 3 nights recently. I counted 32 Tesla's during that time. They were incredibly popular.

I'm in Japan now. I've been here for 9 days so far and I haven't seen any. In fact, all foreign cars seem few and far between, apart from in Kyoto where for some reason there are a lot more flash cars about. However, there are loads of EV's and charging points in Japan. Small cars are king here though.

I was in Hong Kong for 3 nights recently. I counted 32 Tesla's during that time. They were incredibly popular.

I'm in Japan now. I've been here for 9 days so far and I haven't seen any. In fact, all foreign cars seem few and far between, apart from in Kyoto where for some reason there are a lot more flash cars about. However, there are loads of EV's and charging points in Japan. Small cars are king here though.

Oh you're in Tokyo? I'm driving my Model S every day, but still very rare.

Nobody knows about Tesla. That's for sure. Leafs are sometimes seen, but still rarer than Silicon Valley. That's because we own only one car and need to drive like 100 miles a so in a weekend. Our highways are designed so that we usually stop at plazas, which are ON the highways with clean restrooms, 24h restaurants and cafes, local goods shopping. There, only one CHAdeMO charger and people are worried about waiting. Actually they have to wait on weekends.
For Tesla, no usable Superchargers. Same worries with Leafs, but I don't hesitate to get off highway and find a nice place to charge and rest. If I say that, people call me crazy. :)

People still watch TVs and read newspapers and magazines. Much less organic social media - people like to see entertainment, so they spend more time on such "pseudo news sites" with bunch of native ads. If Tesla wants to spread the word here, they need to spend some money, or wait a long time. At least, continuous TV spots would be great. Also currently almost no social media activities.

Nobody knows about Tesla. That's for sure. Leafs are sometimes seen, but still rarer than Silicon Valley. That's because we own only one car and need to drive like 100 miles a so in a weekend. Our highways are designed so that we usually stop at plazas, which are ON the highways with clean restrooms, 24h restaurants and cafes, local goods shopping. There, only one CHAdeMO charger and people are worried about waiting. Actually they have to wait on weekends.
For Tesla, no usable Superchargers. Same worries with Leafs, but I don't hesitate to get off highway and find a nice place to charge and rest. If I say that, people call me crazy. :)

People still watch TVs and read newspapers and magazines. Much less organic social media - people like to see entertainment, so they spend more time on such "pseudo news sites" with bunch of native ads. If Tesla wants to spread the word here, they need to spend some money, or wait a long time. At least, continuous TV spots would be great. Also currently almost no social media activities.
Interesting perspective on the highway rest areas. Here in New England, Tesla has built superchargers at several rest areas (in CT at Milford, Darien, and Greenwich, and in Hookset NH). In Japan Tesla's strategy seems to be mostly in-city stations.

I don't see Tesla having much interest in pushing Japanese sales, certainly not enough interest to start advertising--something is has yet to do in any market.