Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China releases upgraded Model Y (not Juniper)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Thoughts of the updates:
  1. You can the Ambient lighting now from various vendors today
  2. Black Wheel Covers are available today aftermarket with Rim Edge Protection
  3. Fabric style panels will be easier to get dirty and harder to clean
  4. This could only be for China due to Tesla being the #2 Seller and they are looking to attract new buyers. In the US, Tesla is the #1 Seller. Might not to do an need to update for the US Market.
I can be wrong with #4 but I currently love the current interior.
#4 - China currently manufacture for Asia, Singapore, Thailand, Canada, Australia, New Zealand (maybe the UK as well) and other markets. So quite a chunk of the world will be getting this 'revised' model Y.

Hi,

I reside in South Korea and ordered my Model Y Standard range this year early September. As the new upgraded Y's are being produced and released in China and with zero to no inventories in S. Korea at the time of writing, it is likely 2023 orders which have not been filled will be fulfilled by the China built Model Y and likely the upgraded Y starting march of 2024.

I am wondering if anyone can help me with information on the changes, if any, to the brakes, wheels set up and specifications. I understand the upgraded Y will come with a 19" black wheels, but will it have any changes to the brake caliper and disk rotor size and dimensions? (please see attached for 2023 Model Y brake specs).

In addition, I'm close (been negotiating and personalizing) to ordering an aftermarket AG wheels with front: 9.5x21 ET40 and rear 10.5x21 ET48. But again, the fit is of concern if any changes have been made with the upgraded Y.

I would assume this upgrade is more a facelift and not a structural change, to compliment the recent Model 3 upgrade. Nevertheless, I would really appreciate it if anyone can shed some light on this? (any brilliant Tesla engineers out there?) Dealerships in Korea are clueless and one lady even asked me, "what's the Juniper project?"

Thanks!

Attachments

• Model Y.png
    Model Y.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 149
Being that all new orders in Canada come from Giga Shanghai, I would think the next and future arrivals will be the updated Y? Cannot see them making the previous version just for Canada as the assembly line must be configured to make just the updated model I would have to assume.

Last edited:
#4 - China currently manufacture for Asia, Singapore, Thailand, Canada, Australia, New Zealand (maybe the UK as well) and other markets. So quite a chunk of the world will be getting this 'revised' model Y.
Agree, it also includes Korea and Japan. I actually prefer to wood trim in the interior and thank you for the additional 60-80hp but, I hope the caliper specifications and the wheel width and offsets haven't changed.

Hi,

I reside in South Korea and ordered my Model Y Standard range this year early September. As the new upgraded Y's are being produced and released in China and with zero to no inventories in S. Korea at the time of writing, it is likely 2023 orders which have not been filled will be fulfilled by the China built Model Y and likely the upgraded Y starting march of 2024.

I am wondering if anyone can help me with information on the changes, if any, to the brakes, wheels set up and specifications. I understand the upgraded Y will come with a 19" black wheels, but will it have any changes to the brake caliper and disk rotor size and dimensions? (please see attached for 2023 Model Y brake specs).

In addition, I'm close (been negotiating and personalizing) to ordering an aftermarket AG wheels with front: 9.5x21 ET40 and rear 10.5x21 ET48. But again, the fit is of concern if any changes have been made with the upgraded Y.

I would assume this upgrade is more a facelift and not a structural change, to compliment the recent Model 3 upgrade. Nevertheless, I would really appreciate it if anyone can shed some light on this? (any brilliant Tesla engineers out there?) Dealerships in Korea are clueless and one lady even asked me, "what's the Juniper project?"

Thanks!
Considering MY RWD has always had the same big Brembo calipers as the Performance I cannot imagine they would make them any bigger for this car as it’s already over specced as it is.

This car must surely be going back to the bigger motor to drop the acceleration time that much eh. A whole second is huge - most likely all in the 0 - 20 mph zone where the current RWD is super slow. Must be making a lot more torque as the hp is not much more than the current car. That indicates a bigger motor to me.

Reactions: Ethan Ryczek
This car must surely be going back to the bigger motor to drop the acceleration time that much eh. A whole second is huge - most likely all in the 0 - 20 mph zone where the current RWD is super slow. Must be making a lot more torque as the hp is not much more than the current car. That indicates a bigger motor to me.
Good point! Agree on the bigger/additional torque motor and I don't envision any changes to the caliper spec or the wheel width/offset as well. But would love to know for sure, if anyone who took delivery of the upgraded Y can confirm.

The Chinese version Model Y update has these features, however, the American built version (since May 2023) has hardware 4 and matrix headlamps. The Chinese version does not. I rather like the wood trim, I installed red ambient footwell lamps for the front seats and I have a small "button" USB led lamp on the center council. This is perfect for driving at night. The FSD Beta for the HW4 works well and I experience a significant learning curve by the system on repeated runs of the same city/country route. The matrix headlamps are excellent on dark country roads.
Dam my Chinese MY must be a freak with its Matrix headlamps then lol