Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China releases upgraded Model Y (not Juniper)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bad news, well informed Youtubers such as Ryan Shaw say it's still HW3 on this model.
It's very confusing to have different builds of the same model across the world, is it common in the car industry?
I would say it is common yeah. Just look at Ford trucks as one example - you have completely different configurations of Rangers in different countries, different body shells, engines, drivelines etc. There’s no F series at all in most countries. Japanese cars are massively different in spec all around the world too. Mazda CX9 - not sold in Japan, they have a narrower version. Hardly any diesel powered models sold in the US - even if in other countries the diesel is the main seller. We get a lot of near new (but second hand) JDM cars here and the specs are always massively different to the same model of car sold brand new in this country.

Saw the updated model Y today.
Just went to the service center in Changsha, China today, took a look at this new Model Y, honestly I think the new dash and lights look really cheap. My Wife thought the same, although we both think it suits the model 3.

• Funny
Reactions: Zedbox
Saw the updated model Y today.
Just went to the service center in Changsha, China today, took a look at this new Model Y, honestly I think the new dash and lights look really cheap. My Wife thought the same, although we both think it suits the model 3.
Do you recall if it had Ultrasonic Sensors fitted? The Tesla.cn homepage shows a blue performance model y with USS but the configurator does not.

Dam my Chinese MY must be a freak with its Matrix headlamps then lol
Mine too!

Just for the record, The New Zealand and Australian spec'd models also include (at least as recently as last month), the ultrasonic sensors, but they have been omitted on models they make for other markets.
The Australasian model also just started getting the rear parcel shelf and pedestrian alert features as standard since the last couple of months too.

There seem to be quite a few variations out there - depending on the intended market.

The Chinese version Model Y update has these features, however, the American built version (since May 2023) has hardware 4 and matrix headlamps. The Chinese version does not. I rather like the wood trim, I installed red ambient footwell lamps for the front seats and I have a small "button" USB led lamp on the center council. This is perfect for driving at night. The FSD Beta for the HW4 works well and I experience a significant learning curve by the system on repeated runs of the same city/country route. The matrix headlamps are excellent on dark country roads.
The Berlin and Shanghai built Teslas had matrix headlight units since 2022. It's unknown if the Shanghai Model Y's will come with HW4 but it does it matter? Nobody outside the US or ?Canada? have FSD functionality thankfully to make use of HW4.

The Berlin and Shanghai built Teslas had matrix headlight units since 2022. It's unknown if the Shanghai Model Y's will come with HW4 but it does it matter? Nobody outside the US or ?Canada? have FSD functionality thankfully to make use of HW4.
the matrix headlights remain unsupported in software for any significant features, and HW4 isn't a game-changer for anything other than the $15,000 FSD Option that remains a promise not a product.

Reactions: Zedbox
Tesla is dumping all of their long term demo Model Ys right now and selling them in inventory. I'm wondering if that means the Highland changes we saw coming to the Y in China will be coming to the US very soon and they want the demo cars to be the latest version... Thoughts?

Tesla is dumping all of their long term demo Model Ys right now and selling them in inventory. I'm wondering if that means the Highland changes we saw coming to the Y in China will be coming to the US very soon and they want the demo cars to be the latest version... Thoughts?
This might be true - aside from the ‘Highland’ reference though of course. This update has nothing to do with either Highland or Juniper. Aside from perhaps signaling that Juniper is actually a while away yet, given this feels a bit like a mid life cycle refresh.

the matrix headlights remain unsupported in software for any significant features, and HW4 isn't a game-changer for anything other than the $15,000 FSD Option that remains a promise not a product.
Well they’re bright as hell but darken out oncoming cars so you don’t blind other drivers which I find pretty cool, plus they spell out ‘Tesla’ when doing a light show, which my kids find pretty cool. I am pretty chuffed with those two features - what else should they do?

Fully funtional Matrix headlights no longer have high or low beam funtionality in the normal fashion we are used to, they are always lit to their fullest unless another car approaches and cuts out the lighting in that area only, once the car is gone lights come back to full on. This video clearly shows how beneficial and well this works.

Last edited:
Fully funtional Matrix headlights no longer have high or low beam funtionality in the normal fashion we are used to, they are always lit to their fullest unless another car approaches and cuts out the lighting in that area only, once the car is gone lights come back to full on. This video clearly shows how beneficial and well this works.
But still not approved for USA vehicles.
Thus not for Tesla's matrix headlights as yet.

Being that all new orders in Canada come from Giga Shanghai, I would think the next and future arrivals will be the updated Y? Cannot see them making the previous version just for Canada as the assembly line must be configured to make just the updated model I would have to assume.
Curious about this as well. Wife in Canada just got her MYLR vin yesterday for a late Dec delivery and it's a 2023. Came with the usual disclaimer about it not including ultrasonic sensors and the image in her app shows grey rims.

My MIC MYP delivery 13th Dec. I'm expecting any changes in spec from the demo car I drove in late October. FWIW, that definitely had matrix 'type' lights. Whilst not as noticeable as a 2014 Volvo XC90 I had, there was a distinct 'black space' leaving an L shaped lit area (RHD so really was L shaped on left hand kerb. I'm assuming all MY MIC are AMD and as it's performance it will be the Li-ion not LFP batteries. Not expecting anything from refreshed China model....

My MIC MYP delivery 13th Dec. I'm expecting any changes in spec from the demo car I drove in late October. FWIW, that definitely had matrix 'type' lights. Whilst not as noticeable as a 2014 Volvo XC90 I had, there was a distinct 'black space' leaving an L shaped lit area (RHD so really was L shaped on left hand kerb. I'm assuming all MY MIC are AMD and as it's performance it will be the Li-ion not LFP batteries. Not expecting anything from refreshed China model....
and as much as I'd love USS like in my 2017 Model S, there's more chance of a front bumper camera and we all know how unlikely that is 🙄
I use parallel parking assistance about once a month and it's brilliant for small spaces (better than me at first entry angle, then I take over for speed). I can't believe MY still doesn't have parking assistance and worse still can hit the low wall where I am parking every night with no warning! I'm going to have to reverse in I guess???