Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choice article - "The Tesla Model 3: crunching the numbers"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model 3 costs versus savings - CHOICE

I don't think Choice is trying to do the wrong thing here, but a few inaccuracies: First, they assume that people buy a Model 3 (or any EV) to save money. Sure, if you travel a LOT of kilometres, and the charging availability works out for you, then you can save fuelling costs, but it isn't the be-all and end-all. Second, they assume that people visit a supercharger once a week - I don't think it would be that often, but then again maybe if you average over a year it might be like that for some people. I haven't read the whole thing in detail but I'm sure you can find more.

It appears only Choice members can post comments - I'll do one later on tonight.

Yeah not sure where they got those audi and bmw service prices from. Especially with bmw, maybe add another zero on the end. Not to mention the inconvenience of having it sit at bmw for a month whilst they try and work out how to fix a lemon.
Petrol when we got our first S mid last year was over $1.50, so as the middle east war resolves itself and petrol heads up again, the equation changes dramatically.
In the past 8 months, We have never been restricted by our model s, nor have we had to wait for a charge.

I added this comment:

Needs a few corrections

Firstly, the article refers to 'Tesla Dealerships'; there is no such thing as Tesla do not use dealers and this is one of their big plus points. The servicing cost analysis omitted valuing what is included and what is not. As an example only, the Audi service charges extra for brake pads and wiper blades; the Tesla service includes these items. Also, the Tesla does not use any 'oils' that will be charged for by Audi. My experience with both Audi and Mercedes show that the Tesla service costs are about 20% of the 'others'.

Reactions: Chuq
If there's one thing I'm prepared to bet on is that the prices of petrol and electricity is going to go up and the price of lithium ion batteries is going down. Those have not been factored in the calculations in the article.

If every purchase was based on a cost/benefit calculation you would certainly have a different array of items in your possession!

We are installing a Powerwall in our house currently under construction. If we strictly looked at the cost/benefit on the current pricing of electricity it may not be worth it at this time. But the cost of electricity in the last few years in Qld went up 25%. I don't see that trend reversing.

6 years ago we had solar installed in our current house at a cost of $2,200 which basically wiped out our electricity charge with the 50 cents/kw rebate. Our electricity cost was approximately $1,200/yr. 2 yr pay back. We already had solar water. Now we are paying $15,000 for a 5 kw system and Powerwall. Payback will be longer but factoring electricity price increases it may not be as long as we think.

A part of recharging/refueling that many potential owners will appreciate is the fairly stable price of electricity, from the grid, it may go up 4-6% once per year, on the other hand the petrol price varies day in day out, sometimes the price to fill a tank may change by $20 overnight.

They forget the pure enjoyment factor of the performance of an electric motor. Mine is a non performance version that gives startling performance compared to any car I have ever driven, including Lexus LS430.

On another forum I listed the various benefits apart from operating cost:
  • Performance (amazing acceleration)
  • Environmental benefits (carbon pollution)
  • Benefit to the economy (locally produced electricity vs overseas petroleum)
  • Convenience (can refuel at home every night, full range available every day)
  • Lack of vibration and noise
  • Fewer moving parts, less things that can go wrong
  • Energy independence (for those with solar PV)
These are only the ones that apply to all EVs. There are even more Tesla specific ones!

On another forum I listed the various benefits apart from operating cost:
  • Performance (amazing acceleration)
  • Environmental benefits (carbon pollution)
  • Benefit to the economy (locally produced electricity vs overseas petroleum)
  • Convenience (can refuel at home every night, full range available every day)
  • Lack of vibration and noise
  • Fewer moving parts, less things that can go wrong
  • Energy independence (for those with solar PV)
These are only the ones that apply to all EVs. There are even more Tesla specific ones!

More interior space/storage compared to a car with similar outside dimensions
A higher level of safety due to the engineers having more freedom to design, during a frontal impact the bodywork can crumple as designed without the risk of a engine block ending up in the passenger compartment, lower centre of gravity.
Regen braking reduces wear on pads and makes slowing for lights, roundabouts far more comfortable.