Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choice of inverter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7.14kw + 2 PW’s. Have a SE6000 + 21 optimizers. Have the option to upgrade to a SE7600(long story and info can be found in another thread). No choice in SE vs Delta was given(would have chosen SE anyway). I think you’ll find, that more often than not, recent solar and/or solar + PW installs will have SE inverters.

Not sure the "recent" comes in to play - mine hasn't been installed yet (I don't even get the keys for the house until this Friday), and my design was with the Delta M series... This is with 2x Powerwalls..

My current house (which goes away this Thursday) - when I signed up in March/April, was a 3.78 w/SolarEdge - but, never scheduled the installation since we ended up looking for a new house. This was going to be without a Powerwall...

Not sure the "recent" comes in to play - mine hasn't been installed yet (I don't even get the keys for the house until this Friday), and my design was with the Delta M series... This is with 2x Powerwalls..

My current house (which goes away this Thursday) - when I signed up in March/April, was a 3.78 w/SolarEdge - but, never scheduled the installation since we ended up looking for a new house. This was going to be without a Powerwall...

I meant to bold the “more often than not” part. The “recent” may hold water as well though. Idk. In my experience, I see/hear probably 5 to 1(or more) SE vs Delta, but I’m only one person, so maybe a YMMV added onto the previous post would have been good.

For our 16.5 kW system with panels facing east, southeast and west and no shade from trees, we got a Delta Solivia 7.6 inverter and two Delta Solivia 5.2 inverters. When we added 4 kW facing northwest (with partial shade), we received a SolarEdge HD Wave inverter.

The 16.5 kW system produced over 18 kW at times in May/June. Now that we have 20.5 kW, our system can produce 22 kW at times.

Our Delta Solivia 7.6 inverter had issues on hot days earlier this month. Tesla is coming out to replace it next week.

Ordered solar in July, plans spec'ed with SolarEdge Inverter. Solar installed in December (don't get me started on the delays) with Delta M8 inverter even though plans hadn't been changed. Solar was wired for SolarEdge per plans so they had to come back out and rewire for the Delta inverter. Was told they are out of SolarEdge inverters so switched to what was available and would redraw them for final submittal.

Install today was 8.16KW with 2 PW’s. Approved layout with Spec sheets was a SolarEdge Inverter with Power Optimizers. Today a Delta M series Inverter was installed. Asked installers for permit specs and Tesla submitted permit application for Delta Inv. Not happy as I will have some shading that SE with Optimizers would help overcome. Have a call in and email to Project Advisor to try to get resolved to put in SolarEdge. Initial feedback from Project Manager is there “aren’t any SolarEdge available in my area”” which I don’t believe.

They are out and with news today of a Tesla Solar Inverter it is unlikely they will buy more. I was told the alternative was the 10+kw solaredge but it was way too expensive for Tesla to consider using on smaller installs. Maybe it will be available as a retrofit for those of us with Deltas and shading issues.

They are out and with news today of a Tesla Solar Inverter it is unlikely they will buy more. I was told the alternative was the 10+kw solaredge but it was way too expensive for Tesla to consider using on smaller installs. Maybe it will be available as a retrofit for those of us with Deltas and shading issues.
The new Tesla branded Inverter isn’t going to use Power Optimizers either like the Delta they installed. Reason is it works better with their Solar Roofs for design purposes and lower costs

Reactions: nwdiver
The new Tesla branded Inverter isn’t going to use Power Optimizers either like the Delta they installed. Reason is it works better with their Solar Roofs for design purposes and lower costs
I am curious how the new inverter handles Rapid Shut Down requirements? It has been mentioned that the multiple MPPT channels may help with shade. But that may require thoughtful and custom stringing strategy which might be difficult in a commodity, cookie cutter approach..

That is exactly what happened to me last week. I have a 9.5KW PV and I was supposed to get the 7.6KW solaredge. They told me they were out of them and gave me a 10K instead.

That is exactly what happened to me last week. I have a 9.5KW PV and I was supposed to get the 7.6KW solaredge. They told me they were out of them and gave me a 10K instead.

Same for me in Massachusetts. I had a 8.16 kW system installed a few days ago and they were out of the smaller SolarEdge inverter so they 'upgraded' to the 10 kW SolarEdge Inverter. I asked if they could get me the Tesla Inverter (which was announced like 15 hours before the install) and they said it's not worth it because the Tesla Inverter (other than looking cooler) is just a cost savings to Tesla. SolarEdge has been proven for so many years and if they were to do it on their own home, they would still stick with SolarEdge.

As a side note, I asked for a PowerBlaster and they said there are none available in the Northeast. They are going to try to scour the warehouses to find one for me, but they have stopped including them in installs as they were starting to ramp up the Tesla Inverter.

How are these inverters?

I have one Delta M8-TL-US for my solar roof (no powerwalls). It's been fine, though I've only had it for a month.

Do I need to make sure I get the "Power Blasters"?

If you can convince Tesla to put a Powerblaster in for you, have them do it because it will allow you to see home usage data in the Tesla app. The problem is that Tesla has been phasing out the Powerblasters and usage of third party inverters in preparation for their own inverter. Several others have reported that there were no more Powerblasters to be had in their areas. I think I got lucky by getting one in November.

I have one Delta M8-TL-US for my solar roof (no powerwalls). It's been fine, though I've only had it for a month.

If you can convince Tesla to put a Powerblaster in for you, have them do it because it will allow you to see home usage data in the Tesla app. The problem is that Tesla has been phasing out the Powerblasters and usage of third party inverters in preparation for their own inverter. Several others have reported that there were no more Powerblasters to be had in their areas. I think I got lucky by getting one in November.

Jan-15 Solar panel system install and requested to have a PowerBlaster installed but they said none were in stock.

Jan-19 they called to schedule the town electrical inspection and I asked again for a PowerBlaster and they said they were still searching for one.

Jan-21 I received an email from someone in Las Vegas stating they have found one and someone from Tesla would be reaching out soon to install.

Ask your Tesla solar advisor before install and every person you speak to during the install process and you’ll probably get one.

My understanding is that the delta inverters have each string on an independent MPP channel. If this is true they'll handle shade as well as solar edge. SE would be a little better but you're talking less than a kWh/yr....

Are you sure about this? I believe my instal, tech told me they had to run and extra string string when switching to Delta for a total of two. So if one panel is shaded I lose all the production on that string which is half of my panels. My understanding of the SE inverter is each panel is separate so even with only one string, a shaded panel doesn’t affect any of the other panels. If that is true not sure how that is only 1 kWh/yr...

my math based solely on efficiency is 2% per year and my 8.16 kw system is expected to produce over 12,000kw in a year so solely on efficiency that is 240kw and with any significant shading that would be way way more.

Last edited:
I believe my instal, tech told me they had to run and extra string string when switching to Delta for a total of two. So if one panel is shaded I lose all the production on that string which is half of my panels. My understanding of the SE inverter is each panel is separate so even with only one string, a shaded panel doesn’t affect any of the other panels. If that is true not sure how that is only 1 kWh/yr...
You need optimizers on each panel so one shaded panel doesn't bring down the whole string. Your installer should have been able to tell you that, and install them at the time.

Another option is microinverters, where each panel has its own inverter.

• Informative
Reactions: SummerlinChiro
Are you sure about this?

Yes. 110% sure.

Optimizers... what are they good for?

You need optimizers on each panel so one shaded panel doesn't bring down the whole string.

You don't need optimizers to prevent this. Bypass diodes also allow unshaded panels to continue operating. All solar panels have bypass diodes.

Here's a screenshot of unshaded panels operating in a string with shaded panels. Current is bypassing the shaded panels.

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 7.43.18 AM.png

Reactions: MorrisonHiker