Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choosing factory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my blue / white MYLR on 10/26/21. Current EDD is late March.

Austin is starting to spin up. By March they should be pumping out plenty of cars. BUT I've heard Austin cars will go to eastern US, and western US gets Fremont cars. I'm in Colorado -- 100mi closer to Austin than to Fremont, but ...

I have read that some of the Tesla quality issues (body panel fit & finish, paint quality, etc) are actually rooted in the old Fremont facility, and Austin cars are supposed to be higher-quality, like Shanghai.

Plus I want the new tech: 4680s, structural battery pack, double-pane glass, etc. I think Fremont is already using the Gigapress? But from the sounds of it, Fremont will continue to produce "last year's model" without the latest tech. I don't *NEED* the new stuff, but I don't *NEED* a new car either. I'm enough of a geek and car guy that I WANT the latest goodies in my new toy.

Does anyone know 1) how much of the new tech is incorporated into Fremont Y's, and 2) if it's possible to request a car from Austin?

I'm in the, "same boat": I'm about to order my Model Y but I only want a car with 4680 batteries. I live in Utah; that means a Freemont car and currently, 2170 batteries. The 4680/Structural Battery Pack Model Y is in the certification process. Tesla now has a 4680 Battery Manufacturing facility on Kato Rd., a few blocks south of the Fremont Car Factory. Once certified, I'm betting Fremont will make Model Ys with 4680s. The new batteries are said to improve range 16% so the new EPA figures will distinguish those cars from the 2170 ones. It would be absurd to have two different Model Ys manufactured in the U.S at the same time (unless they were offered at different pricing). As others have said, in the next few months, all will become apparent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: msee67
I'm in the, "same boat": I'm about to order my Model Y but I only want a car with 4680 batteries. I live in Utah; that means a Freemont car and currently, 2760 batteries. The 4680/Structural Battery Pack Model Y is in the certification process. Tesla now has a 4680 Battery Manufacturing facility on Kato Rd., a few blocks south of the Fremont Car Factory. Once certified, I'm betting Fremont will make Model Ys with 4680s. The new batteries are said to improve range 16% so the new EPA figures will distinguish those cars from the 2760 ones. It would be absurd to have two different Model Ys manufactured in the U.S at the same time (unless they were offered at different pricing). As others have said, in the next few months, all will become apparent.
they won’t improve range 16 percent. The weight of the batteries used will be reduced and range gain will be modest. The primary improvement from all this is likely to be a couple of hundred pound of weight savings.
In any case the only way to be assured of these things is to put in an order when you know for a fact the factory that serves your area is making cars with those things in them. August? October? July?
And no one has publicly said anything about when Fremont would switch to structural pack snd 4680s.
No one who knows what they’re talking bout has ever said there will be double pane rear glass, but that is a trivial change.

Last edited:
they won’t improve range 16 percent. The weight of the batteries used will be reduced and range gain will be modest. The primary improvement from all this is likely to be a couple of hundred pound of weight savings.
If nothing else, supply chain constraints would dictate maintaining the current range and using fewer cells. Unless Tesla introduces a more expensive LR+ model, it's more profitable to build 10-15% more cars with the current range than to build the same number of cars with greater range.

In any case the only way to be assured of these things is to put in an order when you know for a fact the factory that serves your area is making cars with those things in them. August? October? July?
And no one has publicly said anything about when Fremont would switch to structural pack snd 4680s.
No one who knows what they’re talking bout has ever said there will be double pane rear glass, but that is a trivial change.
We will see..... Regardless, ordered a Model Y LR on 1/31/22 w/ August delivery. Anybody wanna buy my 2017 Bolt w/ a new battery?

Reactions: advocate8
I'm in the, "same boat": I'm about to order my Model Y but I only want a car with 4680 batteries. I live in Utah; that means a Freemont car and currently, 2170 batteries. The 4680/Structural Battery Pack Model Y is in the certification process. Tesla now has a 4680 Battery Manufacturing facility on Kato Rd., a few blocks south of the Fremont Car Factory. Once certified, I'm betting Fremont will make Model Ys with 4680s. The new batteries are said to improve range 16% so the new EPA figures will distinguish those cars from the 2170 ones. It would be absurd to have two different Model Ys manufactured in the U.S at the same time (unless they were offered at different pricing). As others have said, in the next few months, all will become apparent.
the only answer is wait, make sure all new cars are 4680 before ordering

Attachments

• Bolt-Passenger Side.jpg
    Bolt-Passenger Side.jpg
    735.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Funny
We will see..... Regardless, ordered a Model Y LR on 1/31/22 w/ August delivery. Anybody wanna buy my 2017 Bolt w/ a new battery?
don't hold your breath for range gains.
While you're likely to get a 4680-based MY, Tesla won't be giving range away. There's no competition, and batteries don't grow on trees.
18 months before any real jump.

Regardless of which factory builds it, by the time yours is delivered, both factories will be building 4680 MY cars.

I would buy that car. lighter is good.
That is exactly the point! If a 4680 battery has, as Elon stated, 16% less mass than the 2170, that would reduce the Model Y weight some 170 lbs. If Tesla reduces the number of 4680s to equal the 2170 pack's range, the car is going to weigh some 300 lbs. less. So, the, "Refreshed M YLR" will HAVE to have different specs. (Unless they add a bunch of lead to the car to equal the current specs).😉 If they DO keep the weight the same with the 4680's, my vote is that they do as others has suggested: software-reduce the range and, "unlock" it later for more money. We will know soon with the Certificate of Conformity.