TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

chrome delete: matte vs satin

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by virtualsmack, Feb 20, 2017.

1. virtualsmack

virtualsmack Member

getting my midnight silver s' chrome wrapped this week. initially figured i'd go w satin black to keep some shine but i also love matte finishes.

anyone go through this decision and can you either share pics or share your thought process?

fyi, gloss black is out bec it's too shiny for me. lots of great pics of blackout but no one specifies the finish so any insight would be appreciated.

thx
    Gabe

2. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

On that note.. are you wrapping or using plastic dip?

3. virtualsmack

virtualsmack Member

wrapping it. using a pretty reputable installer so figured the finish would be good. seen good (and bad) povs for both ways but there were more options to wrap so i went w that

• Like x 1
  4. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

@virtualsmack - I have a pic of my originally white car on the other chrome delete thread. I went satin black. I'm trying to look through some pics to see if I have a decent one showing the satin black. Here's one, but I'm not sure if it's any better. At least you can see some of the satin finish on the nose cone.

If you have a specific request of a shot, I can try to get one for you. Good luck!

Full Body.JPG

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  5. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

That's hot.

• Like x 1
  6. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Do you have any other photos? I might have to clone that with Plastidip :)

7. LVGhost

LVGhost Member

IMG_4955.JPG IMG_4643.JPG IMG_4647.JPG
    Hey Gabe, I went with Avery satin black for my rims and the chrome delete. I prefer that little bit of shine especially since my car is more matte. Sorry the rims are super dirty in the pic.

• Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. UnpluggedP

UnpluggedP Vendor

We always do satin

E16A1149.jpg IMG_7821.jpg IMG_2204.JPG Unplugged-Performance-Refresh-Front-Fascia-MAIN-SLIDER.jpg
    IMG_0914_BE.jpg

• Like x 1
  9. LED_FT

LED_FT Member

IMG_3591.JPG IMG_3597.JPG IMG_3593.JPG IMG_3599.JPG Satin black powder coat rims with satin black vinyl wrap on all chrome accents on my Midnight Silver 2017 refresh. 3M Crystalline 40% on side windows and Color Stable 35% on rear window. Xpel wrap and CQuartz. The color combo is sleek and I get so many compliments.

10. Terra117

Terra117 Member

Typically, matte has the shortest longevity, gloss the longest.

If that matters to you, ask the installer.

11. RPM Accessories

Satin or Glossy, both look great. Check out these for reference. www.rpmtesla.com
    We sell more of rear appliqué wrap in carbon fiber.

Attached Files:

12. RichardD

did you ever replicate it in plasticdip? There was a group here in Houston that did a good job but they stopped, not sure where they went.

13. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I was going to say yeah, sure did, but in Autoflex (see: Dipped my car: Autoflex Matte + ZTA Hypershift + Blueberry Juice )

... but looking at that date Feb 2017... I can't make sense of my own post. That was right after I bought my P85D, and had not yet sold the P85+ that was Autoflexed. And I'm puzzled why I would say "plastidip" when I'm a huge fan of Autoflex coatings. Maybe I had some wine that night, which I think is evidenced by the "that's hot" comment, is all I can figure.

But to answer your question, I think I'm going down a similar route with my P85D, but not a hypershift blue this time, but rather a much more solid Deep Sea Blue with blueberry juice... something like this, but in satin finish (Autoflex, of course):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I'm really trying to replicate this color:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. RPM Accessories

Stormtrooper / Panda Chrome Delete. Do it yourself with our self-installing products. www.rpmtesla.com

Attached Files:

16. RichardD

Wow That color!!!! I need it too.

How would you handle under the frunk, and the door sills?

• Like x 1
  17. pdxrunr

pdxrunr Member

I'm about to redo my accent trim in the new 3M Cosmic blue. It's pretty close to the blue in your pic. Satin black on my chrome.

18. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

My car is already the dark blue metallic, same as my P85+ with the hypershift blue. Really, you didn't notice the difference that much, it's not like it's stark white door sills and interior parts that would really stand out. And I don't open the frunk that much. ;)

That cosmic blue is very nice, but I still want to go Autoflex dip over a wrap. It's quite a bit less expensive, and significantly easier to remove if I want (you can pretty much peel a dipped car yourself).

19. RichardD

I found this blue in a wrap:
    BLUE SUPERCAST CHROME MASERATI GRANTURISMO VINYL WRAP | VViViD Vinyl

BLUE SUPERCAST CHROME MASERATI GRANTURISMO VINYL WRAP

20. USMC_Mustang

USMC_Mustang Member

I also have the midnight silver. I went with satin black on everything except the door handles. I made them satin black initially, but the contrast with the midnight silver seemed too much, so I switched to gray for just the door handles.