Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clarity on WHEN one actually pays Tesla the big bucks when buying a Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have looked all over the place, including FAQs, forum searches, Google, news articles, blogs, and of course Tesla's own website, and I'm rather amazed that I have not been able to find crisp answers to the following dumb newbie question:

Exactly when in the purchasing timeline* is the balance due?
a. At the moment the Purchase Agreement (PA) is signed?
b. Upon delivery?
c. Within X days of delivery?

*Assume the timeline is the collection of milestones involved in purchasing the car, where the first milestone, the one where the clock starts ticking, is the moment one puts in their $5K deposit, and the final milestone is delivery. I would assume the 2nd milestone is ~2 weeks later when you have to sign the PA. I'm trying to figure out where the milestone lies on the timeline for paying everything beyond the deposit.

b) If you give them a cheque, it's upon delivery.

Not sure what happens if you go through their financing.

The "varies by state" think NigelM mentions is correct. I live in VA, and they are delivering my car to the Service Center in MD for pickup. They cannot accept money there, so I FedEx'd my loan check to Palo Alto, and am doing a bank debit of the remainder of my down payment.

I told my DS: "Well you expect us to be rather trusting about this, don't you?" :)

It's not listed as Delivery Charge anymore, it's listed as "Destination and Regulatory Doc Fee" on my MVPA. And yes you pay it whether you pick it up in Fremont or...well they don't really do deliveries anymore unless you live far away from a service center.

My payment process was surprisingly laid back. I had home delivery and before the car was sent out from the service center, the DS asked for loan paperwork. I FedEx'ed that in and a few days later I got the car. I financed 50K so there was still a significant chunk o' change left to be paid and nobody ever asked me for it. The car was delivered to a Lowes near my house since my street is kind of tight. The little devil in me told me to wait until Tesla asked for the money, but I was so pumped up with awesomeness after driving the car home, I went right to the computer and paid the balance.