Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Classic Model S Touch Screen Reboot Nightmare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I've had my Model S P85 since December 2012. Yes, I knew it was an Alpha vehicle at best, that's why I purchased the extended warranty. That means it wiygo out of warranty this December. That's also why I've been after Tesla Service a lot lately.

Thursday morning this week however I installed the latest firmware update that was available for the car. I have had problems after a firmware update before, but nothing a few reboots couldn't resolve. This time I wasn't so lucky... The next time I got in the car it was in the 90s outside. I had to pick up my truck from the shop 30 minutes away. That meant an hour of driving with no A/C! Needless to say it was really hot even with the windows down.
Of course I scheduled a service appointment, but the earliest appointment was for over a week later. So after some investigating I called Tesla Service directly. There seemed to be no rush to get my car in early. I kept emphasizing how the car doesn't work due to their update. Yea, they kept saying to reboot it from the steering wheel. I had already done that several times but did it again several times just to make them happy. No change... They pushed a new firmware update to the car. That was exciting! How do you start a software update when the car reboots before the touch screen gives you the chance to tell it to install the update. Finally after rebooting via the steering wheel I got it started to count down. Ha! Before the 2 minutes was up it rebooted again by itself! Finally I was told to double tap on the count down dialog to get it to skip the timer. Whew! The update started. After some 30 minutes or so the firmware update finished!!! And then the touch screen rebooted again and again...
Tesla Service finally started to see there was a real problem. Now it was Saturday. I was watching the SpaceX Launch. They reached out again and tried a few more things with no luck. Now it's Sunday. They asked me to make sure there was no USB drive plugged in. Nope. Now they are referring it to engineering to see what they can do Monday. I informed them that my wife needs the car by 6:30am Tuesday so I really hope they can resolve this before then. Not holding my breath.
Has anyone else had similar issues with the touch screen?

A couple of months ago I started having weird MCU issues. Loss of controls like AC. Slow. Wouldn’t open Charging port. Etc. They replaced the MCU and the charging port. A couple of weeks later, screen is black again. Had it towed in and they replaced the main battery. Wasn’t expecting that...

This morning the engineering team contacted me. They said they had done some remote work on the car. They asked me to check on it. It was finally fixed!!! I asked and they said they had repaired a broken DB file that was causing the reboots. I checked and all seems back to normal. However my recently removed "Work" location was back. I'm guessing they restored from a backup. Didn't know there are backups of the DB!

Sometimes just takes being persistent and polite to get something taken care of.

Thanks Tesla engineering!!!

This morning the engineering team contacted me. They said they had done some remote work on the car. They asked me to check on it. It was finally fixed!!! I asked and they said they had repaired a broken DB file that was causing the reboots. I checked and all seems back to normal. However my recently removed "Work" location was back. I'm guessing they restored from a backup. Didn't know there are backups of the DB!

Sometimes just takes being persistent and polite to get something taken care of.

My eMMC originally was failing due to a bad sector on the db, it might be back, but you've got time for now it sounds like.

Reactions: Bugeater

Awesome, it was booted up enough they were able to get in and keep it running. Keep in mind the file was likley broken do the the eMMC being worn out and corrupting files. A 2012 car would do this for sure if the MCU was original, or even it it was replaced a while back. Now's a great time to get upgraded.
You can see a very similar recovery we are just about to finish up.
Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

Reactions: croman