TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Claws, Dogs and White Leather

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Jrogville, Dec 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

I just ordered an X with the simulated white leather in the 6-seat config. But I'm having second thoughts about the 6-seat choice when I'll sometimes need to carry two or three dogs in the back and can't fold the second row seats. That's the seat version that I prefer, but I'm wondering if I should instead choose the 5-seat config where I can fold away all the seat surfaces in the back.

Any experience with dogs and that white leather? Will it stand up to the dogs' claws? I'm assuming that staining can be cleaned away. The dogs WILL get on the seats to look out the window. One, a standard schnauzer, is in just the right weight range to both fit in the single seat and be heavy enough to possibly do some damage.

I've thought about moving the 2nd row seats forward, like they would be to access the 3rd row. and driving that way, but that would also slide my driver's seat forward and I need it set as far back as it can go.

Thanks,
    Rolando

2. Ormond

Ormond Member

Are you getting the premium upgrade package? The perforated seats might not be as durable as the non-ventilated seats. I'm sure the dog owners will chime in.

3. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

Sorry, but I've already placed the order and used one from the rep, I'm in the 7-day grace period. No I didn't order the premium package with the perforated seats. I agreed that would be a problem. I'll search around and see if I can find some seat covers, although now I'm also wondering how well the 6-seat will work with so many different levels in the back: the back area over the folded 3rd row, the 2nd row seats and the floor around them. The dogs may be falling all over the place. I may just need to go with the 5-seat where I can create one single level floor.

4. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

[QUOTE="Jrogville, post: 1864335, member: 55413 I may just need to go with the 5-seat where I can create one single level floor.[/QUOTE].

That's what I did. I wanted more flexible utility and this configuration worked better to achieve it. Not optimal but better. My dog will love any option, and probably create her own anyway. Good luck!

5. qadaemon

qadaemon Member

Six months with perforated white seats and 2 60-lb dogs in a 7-seater. Only issue is with the new software; dogs trigger the seat belt warning which now pops up on the dash constantly. If we're going hiking or camping I put some towels on the seats. Everything has wiped off with a damp rag.

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

An update on what I chose. I decided to keep the white seats, but went with the 5-seat config. Creates a simple layout for them when I'm carrying the dogs, and keeps the seat surfaces away from them. I also liked that with the seats folded down, I get an unobstructed view to the back. I don't think I will need the additional seating that often and the $3k cut in price doesn't hurt either. Went with the Blue Metallic for the paint color. I hadn't considered that combination until I saw the photo on today's Electrek Tesla story, but liked it instantly.

7. travwill

travwill Active Member

Good choice in a way. The tradeoffs are:

1. White seats are very stain resistant, great. But they will scratch from claws I'd say.

2. You'll have a huge back area for them.

3. You will NOT have the rear A/C unit and vents in the back pillar. But, the vents in the center console facing the back (like in the S) should be ok. Maybe not great on really hot Florida days though. We definitely had to use the rear AC in Texas the Summer when there a while. Lot of heat comes in rear window. I'd suggest ordering the rear sunshade for sure to help.

8. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

Yeah, I figure that in the summer I'll want to use both the free windshield shade and the rear window shade that I'll buy. I didn't mention it in my post, but protecting from the claws was what I liked about being able to just fold the whole 2nd row away.

• Like x 1
  9. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

We have the 6 seat and basically keep the third row folded down all the time and a cargo mat in place. Our dog (65lbs) has plenty of room to stretch out on his dog bed in the back.

10. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

He doesn't try to come forward into the second row area? I'm afraid mine (and I have three, one of whom is 90 lbs) will, and then will climb up into the 2nd row seats to look around.

11. Kim Kim

Kim Kim Member

If you have your 2nd row folded down , you will have splattered dogs in the first row when braking hard, or in an accident.
    Seems really not safe

12. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

why not get a cover for the rear seats for when the dogs ride in the car?

13. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.34 2448cfc

Can you fasten the seatbelts (empty) to avoid the seat belt warning?

14. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

What you say is true. But the third row seat area is too small for these 3 dogs, and I think they would jump over the 2nd row seat back anyway. They make some barriers that you can install behind the front seats, but I think those things are just meant to keep the dogs from going forward. I think they would be useless in an accident.

15. qadaemon

qadaemon Member

The shades make a huge difference--at least to us--in the FL summer.

16. qadaemon

qadaemon Member

Yeah but it's a pain in the ass, and the dogs are noticeably annoyed by them. If they made it so it just went off once per drive or every 1/2 hour it'd be fine. But when the dogs move, it comes on then off then on then off which gets very annoying and hard to dismiss.

17. nctalkinghead

nctalkinghead Member

I have an 80 lb Doberman mix. He rides between the 2nd row seats and just sits there looking out the massive windshield (told me he really likes that unobstructed view). He will lie down on the floor area - I usually run the passenger seat all the way forward so he will have more room - and seems very happy. He walked back to the folded 3rd row area a couple of times but I think the height is too low for him. He will put his feet up on the 2nd row seats occasionally but so far no scratches. I keep his nails ground short and dull. We had a one day training session to acclimate to the FWD's :)

18. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

No, he stays in the back laying down. He stood up once and was thinking about moving up a row but I tapped the breaks and that scared him enough to stay in the laying down position! However you can get a dog gate if you think it will be a problem.

19. b_rad

b_rad Member

We have a 6 seat configuration with Ultra-white seats. So far so good with our 2 dogs. Dirt wipes off really easily. We lay the dog beds in the middle of the 2nd row and in the 3rd row with the seat down. Recently did a 3 hour drive with a ski bag and it was no problem. IMG_20170102_161725.jpg