Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean Air Vehicle stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...my instructions said to put the small one on the rear of the car. But I see a lot of the hybrids had the small one on the front...

My recollection is that they used to issue more stickers, including a small one for the front.
I think more recently they simplified and now only use the two large on the lower rear corners, and the one small on the right side of the back bumper.
In other words, I think the small one seen on the front bumper is a 'legacy location' that they don't require anymore.

That's $5.8 million dollars - minimum. And that's not even the whole state. Whatever the costs involved with enforcement are, I'm sure this is a nice moneymaker for the state.
[nit pick mode on] Money from fines collected by CHP are split 50-50 between the county and city where the infraction occurred (100% county in unincorporated areas). CHP is funded entirely by a part of the vehicle registration [nit pick mode off]
I wonder if higher energy costs would be a more efficient way of promoting carpooling, rather than creating carpool lanes and then spending money and resources maintaining them and enforcing their associated rules...

I wonder if higher energy costs would be a more efficient way of promoting carpooling, rather than creating carpool lanes and then spending money and resources maintaining them and enforcing their associated rules...

A bit on the radio said the are talking about selling access to car pool lanes for income. I beleve the mention the 10 or 110 frwy.

Part of the "money buys privileges and time" plan.
Along the lines of a first class airline ticket getting you an express line at the airport.
If you are well off enough why should you be stuck in traffic with the 'ordinary' cars? :crying:

Maybe they should start selling handicapped placards to the highest bidder?
(Well I guess some people do manage to find an MD willing to sign off on one...)

I've been toying with the idea of putting stickers only on the glass. passenger side window at the bottom left (rear-most) corner, another on driver's side window on the rear-most bottom corner, (figured I'll usually have the windows up when on the highway so they'll be seen from the side), one behind the driver's seat headrest on the glass,. If necessary, I'll put one on a plastic card or sheet I can temporarily put facing forward on the dash, facing out the windshield in the corner.

I know technically this doesn't meet the regulations, but they'd be visible all around, none on the paint, relatively immune from theft/vandalism, and when my windows are down when driving around town, most of the stickers vanish... might work. thoughts?

Freeway toll lanes: Toll lanes coming to 10 and 110 freeways in Los Angeles County - latimes.com
...Officials plan to convert a total of 25 miles of existing carpool lanes on the 10 and 110 freeways into high-occupancy toll lanes. Carpools and buses will be able to use the lanes for free, while solo drivers will pay up to $1.40 a mile during peak rush-hour traffic.
Solo drivers of electric and natural gas vehicles, who get a free pass on carpool lanes elsewhere in the county, will have to pay the same toll as other lone motorists in the new HOT lanes...

Solo drivers of electric and natural gas vehicles, who get a free pass on carpool lanes elsewhere in the county, will have to pay the same toll as other lone motorists in the new HOT lanes...
This part makes no sense. Bad enough to weaken the clean air incentive by providing another path to solo HOV lane use, but this completely eliminates it and just adds to driver confusion. I see no reason why an accommodation for white-sticker cars could not have been made for these HOT lanes.

This part makes no sense. Bad enough to weaken the clean air incentive by providing another path to solo HOV lane use, but this completely eliminates it and just adds to driver confusion. I see no reason why an accommodation for white-sticker cars could not have been made for these HOT lanes.
And it contradicts what CalTrans has already done up here in NorCal. In the links I posted above white-stickers are allowed to use the lanes up here for free. Maybe the source or reporter are just misinformed. I don't see how they could have different standards w/in the state.

Only licenced drivers should count as passengers.

Acrtually, only car owners should count as passengers. Dillon may have his driver's license, but if he doesn't own a car that he'd be driving instead, we're not saving anything.

This might seem like a pipe dream, but here in the Bay Area enforcement could be done via FasTrak. At least one passenger has to bring his FasTrak box with him, so that the automated counting simply looks for two FasTrak boxes in a single vehicle. If it detects only one, then it bills $341 to that FasTrak as a fine. If it detects none, then the license plate is photographed and the fine is levied against its owner.

For EVs that can travel the HOV lane solo, you'd get a special FasTrak box that would automatically be given a pass.

And, that brings this thread back around, as that solution also avoids the need for stickers on our beautiful Roadsters!!!!

Now, don't hold your breath for this to actually happen.....

Interesting idea, but I wonder if the Fast-track scanners are capable of scanning two devices in the same vehicle while in motion at highway speeds.
I would guess they might be designed for one at a time with at least a car length gap between scans.

Acrtually, only car owners should count as passengers....

Actually... only people who would have driven their own car, but decided not to because you offered them a ride should count as passengers. Even if they were a car owner, if they were going to stay home anyway, you're not saving anything.

This would be true if you, for example, convinced your friend to go shopping with you. They wouldn't have gone shopping if you didn't convince them, therefore, having them in the car doesn't save gas.

Perhaps they should change the FasTrak scanners to be brain scanners, that detect intention. If you intended on driving your own car, but car pooled to save gas, you get to stay. Otherwise, you get a ticket :biggrin:

Last edited:
Actually, only car owners should count as passengers. Dillon may have his driver's license, but if he doesn't own a car that he'd be driving instead, we're not saving anything.....
I like your thinking but Dillon does not actually own his car. It's in his parent's name for insurance reasons. He's getting a ride in the HOV lane to school because he can't afford the gasoline.

I challenge the assumption that HOV lanes were meant purely for congestion reasons - I doubt they ever would have passed if everybody would have agreed that that was the idea. There are a myriad of goals heaped on HOV lanes, none of them pure.

As soon as you pull efficiency into that rock soup of goals, it makes no sense to allow SUVs, even full of 4 passengers, anywhere near the HOV lane. And a mommypoll in a Prius makes far more sense than any solo CNG vehicle.

If you really cared about congestion you'd be lobbying to end oil subsidies and raise gas taxes so that we could actually build the needed infrastructure instead of pretending we could multiply the capacity of a lane through insufficient enforcement of an impossible ideal frosted with sticker voodoo.