Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean Air Vehicle stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hope no third party "repositions" them for you ! :eek:

Yep, that's a downside. I constantly am double-checking that the stickers are still there. But ever since someone peeled off some of the now-replaced TESLA logo on the back of the car (as a souvenir, I presume), I've been very careful to keep the car parked only in highly visible spots. The stickers are pretty attached, so someone would have to be deliberately trying to remove - but yes, they could. Worst case, I pay another $8 for a new set.

below are pictures of my white HOV sticker positioning (i found it useful to see how people did theirs so thought i'd add mine)...

CIMG0069.jpg
CIMG0070.jpg
CIMG0071.jpg

(unintentionally could have posted these in the roadsters with cats thread too. :smile: )

below are a couple more placement reference images i took while at tesla menlo park last week:

CIMG0064.jpg
CIMG0065.jpg

Last edited:
About a year and a half ago I sent a letter to George Valverde of the California DMV (cc'ing Arnold and my local congresswoman, Jane Harman), asking whether it was possible for California to adopt a program similar to West Virginia and Arizona, which have a different license plate for HOV access vehicles. The response I got was that the stickers were approved (10 years ago) by people representing automakers and drivers, after a revision to the first proposed design. So long story short - no, California was not going to change its program. The letter also referenced the difficulty and cost of getting stickers back that are already on cars (which I found to be a nonsensical comment, given that when the stickers are obsolete they don't need to be retreived).

In terms of sticker removal, I recently purchased #835, which had all three stickers prominently placed on the rear bumper. In fact, they were too prominently placed for my taste, asymmetrically, and at an angle. About as un-aesthetic as I could imagine, which is a travesty on this car (IMHO).

Radiant Red 2010 on Ebay

So I removed the two big ones. When you remove a California HOV sticker the plastic sticker comes off easily but the white paint on the back of the sticker remains adhered to the paint in a pattern that says "VOID VOID VOID," which is designed to render the sticker unusable. Getting the white VOIDs off of the paint (radiant red, in my case) took some time, but I was able to do it without harming the paint. I had been advised by Bob at Tesla LA that the paint on Roadsters is thin, with a thin clear coat, so beware. But all ended up well - my secret was to use peanut butter and my fingernails. I left the small sticker on the bumper (at an angle). I just resubmitted the two big stickers to the DMV in an application for new stickers, which I plan to reapply more aesthetically. We'll see what means in implementation once I get them.

As for the dialogue on the 110 and 10 toll lanes, the comments from government officials indicate that there is an understanding that we are being compromised, and I find this to be wholly inconsistent with the stated policy that white stickers would enjoy HOV access benefits through 2015. I also fail to see how it would be impossible or difficult to permit continued access for white stickers (this has been accomplished in NorCal). It seems no different from allowing vehicles with multiple occupants, which appears to be the plan. All that said, I am probably willing to pay a reasonable toll. Also, it is possible that the toll lane project, which is expected to cost $200 million and generate $20 million in annual revenue (that's a crappy ROI), may get delayed or nixed due to budget concerns.

Stretches of 10 and 110 carpool lanes being converted to Toll [Archive] - Natural Gas Vehicle Owner Community

The response I got was that the stickers were approved (10 years ago) by people representing automakers and drivers, after a revision to the first proposed design. So long story short - no, California was not going to change its program. The letter also referenced the difficulty and cost of getting stickers back that are already on cars (which I found to be a nonsensical comment, given that when the stickers are obsolete they don't need to be retreived).

They could just make the white stickers obsolete like they just did for the yellow ones. Then start a new plate program. It's not hard at all. Would even generate more money for them as white sticker owners would be buying the same HOV privileges all over again.

The stickers are just plain stupid and ugly (X3!). I would gladly rebuy the access if they offered corner licence plate-sticker, special symbol (like the hand and star) (I have suggested a plug or lightening bolt) or a special plate that benefits an organization like Plug in America that is also a HOV plate.

size and required quanity ridiculous.
You can take them to sticker city and get them reduced in size to a more acceptable surface area like I did with my "MD" sticker.
That and you can just choose to put the one on the rear passenger size 'cause 1 out of 3 is better than none out of 3
Of course, the "V" in VFX will not allow you to get over the design!

I got pulled over today for being solo in the carpool lane. The CHP officer was waiting in the far left median watching people as they approached him in the carpool lane so that he could see how many people were in the car. Since the stickers are in the back, he thought I was a violator until he pulled me over and came up to the car. Perhaps a sticker in the windshield for visibility from the front?"

I got pulled over today for being solo in the carpool lane. The CHP officer was waiting in the far left median watching people as they approached him in the carpool lane so that he could see how many people were in the car. Since the stickers are in the back, he thought I was a violator until he pulled me over and came up to the car.
So did he at least apologize for wasting your time?

I got pulled over today for being solo in the carpool lane. The CHP officer was waiting in the far left median watching people as they approached him in the carpool lane so that he could see how many people were in the car. Since the stickers are in the back, he thought I was a violator until he pulled me over and came up to the car. Perhaps a sticker in the windshield for visibility from the front?"
Hmm. IIRC at one point during the yellow hybrid sticker program they issued 4 stickers - front, rear, and sides.