Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean Title but was declared a total loss by insurance. Tesla rep says no supercharging. Are they wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, first post, and proud owner of my first Tesla as of two weeks ago. Found tons of valuable info here as I was researching, thanks to everyone.

Q: Recently purchased a used 2020 Model 3 SR+ with ~14,000 miles. It has a clean title but Carfax history shows it had a "minor to moderate" collision in late 2021 at the front driver side fender and was claimed "total loss" by insurance at the time. However, it has since been repaired and somehow(?) still has a clean title.

The original owner purchased and drove the car in TX (actually, I think it may have been leased). Best I can tell from the Carfax, after the accident it was sold, fixed, and resold to a second owner in CA. The second owner then traded it into a dealer in CA, which is where I bought it. I've wanted a Model 3 for years now and finally decided to pull the trigger.

We take semi-frequent longer roadtrips (300-500 miles) and so Supercharging is fairly important to us. I did a ton of research before buying a used Model 3 and thought I was safe with this car because despite it having a previous accident, it still has a clean title. We have a roadtrip coming up in about 2 weeks, so I went to test out the Supercharging a few days ago and when I plugged it in, the screen gave me a message "Supercharging Not Enabled. Try AC Charging." Thought it was maybe because I hadn't set up a payment method yet, so I did that, and still received the same message. So I call Tesla and they tell me the vehicle has a salvage title. I explain that I'm aware it had a prior accident but it actually has a clean title. This seemed to shock the rep I was speaking with, and he said he had to talk to his manager and would get back to me. A few days later I get an email from who I assume was his manager and it just said "Our records are not wrong. We cannot clear the title. Call the person you bought the vehicle from."

So now I'm concerned that I may have missed a nuance during my research and that it's not just salvage title vehicles that can't supercharge, but any vehicle that has had an accident or that Tesla deems unfit.
Does anyone know any more detail about being able to supercharge a car with clean title that has had an accident?
Is the Tesla rep I spoke to wrong?
Can they in fact update the title in their system to be clean and re-enable supercharging?
Or is there any sort of inspection I can have them do to clear it for supercharging? If so, any idea on cost?
There are no other public non-Tesla "superchargers" we can use are there?
This would be a huge bummer for us if we couldn't supercharge, hoping I didn't fail in my research and buy a car that can't supercharge :/.

Thank you!

Z

Based on other threads, when supercharging is disabled, all DC fast charging is also disabled.

This surprises me. I thought disabled Supercharging was done on the network, not in the car itself.

If that's the case, it seems like someone with good hacking skills could modify the car to remove the disability. Perhaps it's on the network AND the car... still, that means it could be removed from the car and third-party chargers would once again be usable.

Reactions: brainhouston
Upvote 0
Your car is worth a tiny fraction of the price you paid now that it unable to Supercharge. I strongly suggest you go to the dealer and tell them what is going on. The bottom line is the dealer sold you a car with a washed title regardless of their knowledge. This is no different than a dealer selling a car with an incorrect odometer reading due to a previous owner rolling it back. The dealer would not win this case in court, and they know it.

Upvote 0
Also, if you sell this vehicle without fully disclosing that the car was totaled (in writing), you will be at risk of an adverse legal outcome in the future. No different than your dealer is at the moment. I have seen dealers bend over backwards to remedy these kinds of situations in order to avoid harsh consequences.

Upvote 0

What a clean title actually means​

A clean title is the default title; all cars start out with a clean title. If a car has a clean title, it means the car has never experienced any of the circumstances that cause a title brand, such as receiving flood damage or getting totaled.

A clean title car does not mean the car has never been damaged. When a car is seriously damaged, the insurance provider may decide the repairs cost more than the car’s worth. When this happens, the insurance company might mark the car as “totaled.”

If a car is totaled, it gets a title brand. But cars can be damaged without being totaled. If a car has sustained damage in the past that doesn’t exceed its cost, then the car can maintain its clean title. That’s why it’s important to have a reliable mechanic check the car over before you make any commitments to buy. Other vehicle reports can be obtained that offer a history of accidents, associated with the car’s VIN.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and RNHurt
Upvote 0
Can you check if your car is "CCS Enabled"? if so, you can still use Electrify America chargers.
AFAIK, if you can not Supercharge, that means all DC Fast charging is disabled. Kind of like saying you can not buy gas from anyone. Gas cars catch on fire everyday and many times while filling up at the gas station but they can still purchase gas. I understand Tesla's concern regarding safety but their should be a way to re-enable DC charging for cars in a case like the person who started this thread. I believe Tesla did at one time have a way for an owner to reestablish DC charging but have read this is no longer the case.

Upvote 0
Your car is worth a tiny fraction of the price you paid now that it unable to Supercharge. I strongly suggest you go to the dealer and tell them what is going on. The bottom line is the dealer sold you a car with a washed title regardless of their knowledge.
Kind of like saying you can not buy gas from anyone.

These statements really sum it up nicely. We all know how nice the Model 3 drives, so it's hard to think about returning this "new to you" vehicle, but you'll likely regret keeping it in the long run.

There's definitely someone out there that has multiple Teslas with home charging that would be happy to buy this vehicle at a discount knowing that it can't supercharge, but that's not you. Maybe the dealer will be willing to give you $20k back... then it'll be a good deal.

Upvote 0
Sucks cause the car may be totally fine too. Tesla may be able to "recertify" the car, essentially blessing the repairs, and you'll get superchargers back, but you'll still have a branded title.
With the parts shortages and whatnot, insurance companies have been totaling cars out if the repairs will take too long. Even if it's a minor repair, but a long wait on parts, that's enough to total it. They are on the hook for rental costs, etc, so after a point, it's better for them just to total the car out and close the claim.
Now you get someone searching the auctions, sees an easily repaired car pop up, fix it, and make a couple bucks.

Upvote 0
Thanks all, very much. Really great information. I think after reading everyone’s input I will definitely reach out to the dealer and see how willing they are to cooperate and either unwind it, or give a large portion of $ back and I would still keep it. If they don’t show willingness to do either, then I’ll look into getting an attorney involved. For the heck of it, I’ll also give Electrified Garage a call and see what wisdom they can share (thanks for that tip Flybyglass). Thank you all for the great insight.

Upvote 0
While I don't have experience, there were recent reports that you can get such cars to use CCS or CHAdeMO now, though you could not in the past. So worth looking into. Certainly not as nice as being able to use both, but usable for road trips.

Another thing you could consider is that if you were not planning a lot of road trips, you saved $20K on the car and can get a rental car for your road trips with the money saved. Of course if you do a lot of road trips, that's not a win.

If they told you the title was clean in writing or you can otherwise show it, you should be in a good position.

Upvote 0
I'm not even comfortable using third-party chargers, and never have. In my opinion,nothing beats being able to say "navigate to South Dakota" and have the car plot a route complete with charging stops in just a few seconds.

Using third-party chargers seems like going to AAA and getting a "trip tick"... A.K.A. a map with marker tracings all over it.

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
Upvote 0
So I took a screenshot of the listing (bought on eBay) right after we purchased it. Attached a copy below. The listing clearly states "CAR HAS CLEAN TITLE BUT CARFAX SHOWS TOTAL LOSS. PREVIOUS OWNER PURCHASED THAT CAR IN DIFFERENT STATE WITH CLEAN TITLE."

I also attached a copy of the Used Vehicle Damage Disclosure we signed as part of the purchase docs, stating that the vehicle has suffered previous damage which may affect the future value of the vehicle.

We did have the vehicle inspected by a mobile mechanic before agreeing to purchase, FYI. His report was that the vehicle ran great with only minor cosmetic issues and no mechanical issues.

What do you guys make of these? Was the dealer supposed to disclose anything more than they did, or am I out of luck here and failed in my due diligence? Do they need to disclose that it should have a salvage title, or that the title was washed? I 100% would not have bought it if I knew that. I feel bad because my experience with the dealer was great throughout, but if they did something wrong, I don't want to get stuck holding the bag for it.

Thanks again.

Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 12.20.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 12.06.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 12.23.54 PM.png

Upvote 0
"has clean title but carfax shows a total loss." Maybe that will come back to bite you, maybe you can get them on saying that contradictory statement. You might as well try but it will cost you if you want a lawyer on it.

Using CCS is not that bad. It's not as nice as superchargers, but 1/4 of all EV drivers get by with nothing but that, and you can too.

Upvote 0
So I took a screenshot of the listing (bought on eBay) right after we purchased it. Attached a copy below. The listing clearly states "CAR HAS CLEAN TITLE BUT CARFAX SHOWS TOTAL LOSS. PREVIOUS OWNER PURCHASED THAT CAR IN DIFFERENT STATE WITH CLEAN TITLE."

I also attached a copy of the Used Vehicle Damage Disclosure we signed as part of the purchase docs, stating that the vehicle has suffered previous damage which may affect the future value of the vehicle.

We did have the vehicle inspected by a mobile mechanic before agreeing to purchase, FYI. His report was that the vehicle ran great with only minor cosmetic issues and no mechanical issues.

What do you guys make of these? Was the dealer supposed to disclose anything more than they did, or am I out of luck here and failed in my due diligence? Do they need to disclose that it should have a salvage title, or that the title was washed? I 100% would not have bought it if I knew that. I feel bad because my experience with the dealer was great throughout, but if they did something wrong, I don't want to get stuck holding the bag for it.

Thanks again.

View attachment 848898

View attachment 848891

View attachment 848900
If you purchased this car on Ebay, you should be covered by the Vehicle Purchase Protection:
Vehicle Purchase Protection (VPP) provides protection, against certain losses associated with fraud, up to a maximum amount of your purchase price paid (not exceeding $100,000) for purchase of an eligible vehicle on ebay.com or through the eBay mobile application. The types of fraud that are generally covered are:
  • non-delivery of the vehicle,
  • undisclosed defects in the title, and certain undisclosed defects with the vehicle. VPP is automatically included at no additional cost when you complete the purchase of an eligible vehicle on ebay.com or eBay mobile applications.

Upvote 0