Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking noise during turns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,
I have a 2016 March, P90D with SAS (gen1) Continental shocks
Recently I started to have a weird clicking noise when the car is moving and steering is being turned around 180 degrees.
It comes from both sides. It is not multiple clicks, its just 1 click, as if something is not tight and is just adjusting its position.
And next turn clicks again, and again.

I saw lots of posts about clicking noises but I havent seent one similar to mine.
See the video.
Anyone had this issue before?

Last edited:
Of course, who knows. This seems possible:
"The noise is actually coming from the steering rack to the front sub frame.. that's the specific answer. They fix it by adding a shim to the steering rack mounting points, it's a technical service bulletin and a known issue. The newer Model S has a totally redesigned steering rack that's designed in house."

See other possibilities at: For Those With "Clicking" Sounds While Turning.

Of course, who knows. This seems possible:
"The noise is actually coming from the steering rack to the front sub frame.. that's the specific answer. They fix it by adding a shim to the steering rack mounting points, it's a technical service bulletin and a known issue. The newer Model S has a totally redesigned steering rack that's designed in house."

See other possibilities at: For Those With "Clicking" Sounds While Turning.

I had clicking when i stand still and we did what you described. That solved standstill clicking.
At the moment no clicking when i standstill, only when driving, and shims are still there :/

Reactions: DerbyDave
Hey everyone,
I have a 2016 March, P90D with SAS (gen1) Continental shocks
Recently I started to have a weird clicking noise when the car is moving and steering is being turned around 180 degrees.
It comes from both sides. It is not multiple clicks, its just 1 click, as if something is not tight and is just adjusting its position.
And next turn clicks again, and again.

I saw lots of posts about clicking noises but I havent seent one similar to mine.
See the video.
Anyone had this issue before?

Does it make the sound when you're standing still?

I just came back from a road trip and at very low speeds, my car is making a very similar sound to yours. I only really notice it when turning the wheel quite a bit in either direction which makes for very annoying parking lot maneuvers.

I have a Service Center appointment, and was hoping to troubleshoot it a bit before but I wonder if it needs those shims mentioned in the post that @DerbyDave linked.

Here's a video of my noise without the frunk:

I just came back from a road trip and at very low speeds, my car is making a very similar sound to yours. I only really notice it when turning the wheel quite a bit in either direction which makes for very annoying parking lot maneuvers.

I have a Service Center appointment, and was hoping to troubleshoot it a bit before but I wonder if it needs those shims mentioned in the post that @DerbyDave linked.

Think your steering rack belt could be jumping over it's teeth

Think your steering rack belt could be jumping over it's teeth
It could very well be, Tesla replaced my steering rack right before I started hearing this so maybe the one they replaced it with was faulty or at least missing the shims. Without the frunk removed, it sounds pretty much exactly like the video in this thread:

I dont have the noise when I am standing still. Also thanks to @Gtech my car has those shims.

I also have a weird rattling noise that we could not diagnose yet. I wonder if they are related..

Did they fix it? My car is making the same noise.

This just happened to me with my Model Y and it was fixed. Stated repair summary:

"Verified ticking noise was coming from the front hub assemblies. Verified noise while turning. Performed removal of both front hubs and verified that the teeth inside the hub were slightly widened causing the clicking noise while turning. Performed replacement of both front hub assemblies and torqued all components to spec. Test drove vehicle and verified the clicking noise is no longer present."