Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking noise when accelerating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive had the click since late last year and it's been getting progressively worse. Now at 30k KMS booked service and here is the solution from Tesla Vancouver. Apparently it's not very common but knew the solution on the spot. 2 hours out the door.

Concern: Noise & vibration - other - customer states: Axle click, Click noise when accelerating or decelerating. Road tst.Technician performed validation test drive and verified clicking noises present. Cleaned
and lubricated all half shafts as required and installed new axle nuts. Re-torqued axle nuts to factory specification. Performed test drive and verified noise is no longer present.Correction: General DiagnosisCorrection: Perform Validation Test DriveCorrection: Halfshaft - Rear Drive Unit - LH (Lubricate at Hub)Correction: Halfshaft - Rear Drive Unit - RH (Lubricate at Hub)Correction: Halfshaft - Front Drive Unit - LH (Lubricate at Hub)Correction: Halfshaft - Front Drive Unit - RH (Lubricate at Hub)

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
Thanks for sharing. The axle nut click is well known and has been addressed via the same for at least 18-20 months now.

The clicking most people wrote about now is not the accel/deccel click but the click on turn or with chassis flex. That one isnt well understood and far trickier to fix than the axle click.

Reactions: BlindPass
It's not necessarily a bad nut, my understanding is that they didn't lubricate at Fremont and or the torque applied was incorrect. Dust and debris creates the click where the axle mates to the hub. This theory thou means that the splines are wearing out causing the movement. The lubricant just helps it not make the noise anymore, reducing friction between the hub and axle.

The clicking noise while turning is 99% a bad outside CV joint not that hard to diagnose thou,I watched a few of the videos. If the half shaft is replaced and the noise remains then you have a bad differential.

It's not necessarily a bad nut, my understanding is that they didn't lubricate at Fremont and or the torque applied was incorrect. Dust and debris creates the click where the axle mates to the hub. This theory thou means that the splines are wearing out causing the movement. The lubricant just helps it not make the noise anymore, reducing friction between the hub and axle.

The clicking noise while turning is 99% a bad outside CV joint not that hard to diagnose thou,I watched a few of the videos. If the half shaft is replaced and the noise remains then you have a bad differential.
1) I had mobile tech tighten very loose front axle nuts ~10K miles ago
2) SC lubed axles - noise came back in less than a week
3) June: SC replaced LF axle shaft assembly - noise still present

I have a popping when turning during parking lot/driveway maneuvers and that sounds like it's in the steering system. No clicking noises when car jacked up and moving/rotating the wheels. Bad differential as in front motor internals?

I have a popping when turning during parking lot/driveway maneuvers and that sounds like it's in the steering system. No clicking noises when car jacked up and moving/rotating the wheels. Bad differential as in front motor internals?

Well there is nothing "rotating" in the steering rack, and tie rod ends. So if it is a constant rotating noise at a set interval it is in the drive train. And yes the open differential is in the motor assembly (along with the inverter and electric motor).

Honestly a bad diff on a car this simple would be staggering. I don't think I've ever heard of a "bad diff" on a newer car. But then again, other manufacturers also figured out how to paint cars a long time ago.

Drivers find all sorts of interesting ways to torture the drive train, also there is always the possibility of a missed torque spec on the internals.

You'll need the wheel bearing assembly (hub) and the half shaft (CV axle) replaced. Obviously you have excessive play in the splines, if they only repair one piece there is still play and it will wear out and return. This is what I am worried about on my car, its like putting a band-aid on the problem.

You'll need the wheel bearing assembly (hub) and the half shaft (CV axle) replaced. Obviously you have excessive play in the splines, if they only repair one piece there is still play and it will wear out and return. This is what I am worried about on my car, its like putting a band-aid on the problem.
It sucks when the SC will not let you engage with the technician working on it. 100% agree on the band-aid - damn COVID restriction at SC nearest me is not helping the situation.

My 2019 M3 only has 17K miles on it and I am hearing the clicking from the rear driver side wheel when can is at rest and I accelerate and again when I am rolling to a stop. Indy shop did not seem to know of this issue (or at least did not lead on to knowing and wants to see it). Just got it back 3 days ago from fixing the driver side window going up and down on its own and the charger only charging to 16A when set to 32A. I thought this was going to be a maint-free car!!! :(

i had this problem. the issue is water creeping past the seal on the half shaft causing a tiny bit of rust which displaces grease.
Any more info on what was done to address?
Just the standard SC inspect, regrease?

This thread (like most others on here) has been polluted with multiple unrelated or loosely relatedissues, so its hard to say which problem you're referring to (hopefully not the one from the OP thread subject line).

Reactions: XLR82XS
That sounds like sway bar link or other suspension issue. Clicking I am hearing is from a stop when the axles are loaded/unloaded. Forward and reverse.
Thank you. But I must say, this sound only happens when I put down the throttle or release (the latter rather abruptly). So, also when taking off from standstill. Not in corners of over bumps or so.