Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking when computer applies brake at low speeds - got an answer from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of us with this issue, Tesla told me that it's a normal sound made by the iBooster that controls the brakes.

Video here: Dropbox - Video Nov 14, 6 11 59 PM.mov - Simplify your life

FWIW, I find it extremely annoying and not a sound that should be considered "normal" in any new car.

Tesla says it's normal across their whole Model 3 fleet. The fix would probably involve replacing the iBooster with a higher quality part on all cars under warranty. So of course they're going to say it's normal.

If you have the issue and it bothers you as much as it bothers me, perhaps the more we complain the more likely they are to do something about it.

For those of us with this issue, Tesla told me that it's a normal sound made by the iBooster that controls the brakes.

FWIW, I find it extremely annoying and not a sound that should be considered "normal" in any new car.

Tesla says it's normal across their whole Model 3 fleet. The fix would probably involve replacing the iBooster with a higher quality part on all cars under warranty. So of course they're going to say it's normal.

If you have the issue and it bothers you as much as it bothers me, perhaps the more we complain the more likely they are to do something about it.

The iBooster on the Model 3 is much quieter than the one used on earlier Model S and X vehicles and is representative of other vehicles using Bosch iBooster electronic braking. Nothing unusual and nothing to worry about.

It's annoying you because you're listening for it every time. A lot of Model 3 owners don't even know it's happening because they've got the radio on or aren't that sensitive to all the little noises going on around them.

We've got quieter cars now there isn't an engine popping away under the hood so other sounds a car makes start to come to the fore. Eliminate the brake booster sounds and no doubt there will be something else happening which will annoy you just as much.

It actually sounds about the same as my Audi A5 when it applies the brakes on cruise control. You may not think it's normal, but all the cars (two) that I have had the apply brakes automatically, make a sound.

It actually sounds about the same as my Audi A5 when it applies the brakes on cruise control. You may not think it's normal, but all the cars (two) that I have had the apply brakes automatically, make a sound.

Interesting.

I don't remember it happening the first few hundred miles I had the car. But it is possible I didn't notice.

In any case, the sound in the vid speaks for itself so if you guys really do think it's normal then I guess it's my problem.

Interesting.

I don't remember it happening the first few hundred miles I had the car. But it is possible I didn't notice.

In any case, the sound in the vid speaks for itself so if you guys really do think it's normal then I guess it's my problem.

I know that I've had cars make noise during automatic braking, I cannot really say if yours is abnormally loud or obnoxious.