Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate - Auto or Manual

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Auto heated seats are calibrated really well. I think Tesla deserve a star there. Where the Auto climate is a little wonky is overall auto fan speed seems quite high and if the sun comes out, even on a cold day, this triggers the system to go centre vent-only blowing cold air way too aggressively.

• Helpful
Reactions: MrBadger
Does auto climate really kill range? I've always left AC on auto in previous cars, and in the Model 3, without much thought. Have got seat heaters on auto too since the feature was introduced.
For me auto is fine in mild weather. But once the cold hits my wh/mi rockets. So if it’s just me in the car I tend to have it cooler, wrap up a bit more and use the seat heater.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Does auto climate really kill range? I've always left AC on auto in previous cars, and in the Model 3, without much thought. Have got seat heaters on auto too since the feature was introduced.
I suspect auto doesn't kill range. I do tend to leave AC on, with the expectation that it will use more or less as needed. I think the reason I sometimes switch out of auto is because I don't let it "do its thing". It spins the fans up high and appears to make a song and dance so I have a tendency to pop the screen up and lower the fan speed... so end up in manual. If I was more patient the fans would more quickly get the car to a a balanced state and then back off to a more efficient maintaining temperature mode. Perhaps I just need more faith ... it seems to work for many!

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Does Tesla auto climate work better than other cars between winter & summer? My last few cars haven't been very consistent with internal temperature settings when it's hot & sunny. I tend to set to 19/20 in the winter and have to reduce to lowest or one notch up from that in the summer to prevent melting myself...

Perhaps I just need more faith ... it seems to work for many!

Without wishing to further incur the wrath of our favourite Tesla cheerleader, a nice BMW (and I presume others) climate feature is Auto, but with 5 different strengths of auto selectable by the user. The system will try to keep the cabin conditions within the temperature parameters you set, but within a limit of fan speeds set by the user.

Reactions: DM206433
Without wishing to further incur the wrath of our favourite Tesla cheerleader, a nice BMW (and I presume others) climate feature is Auto, but with 5 different strengths of auto selectable by the user. The system will try to keep the cabin conditions within the temperature parameters you set, but within a limit of fan speeds set by the user.
Seems like a good idea. A problem I have sometimes caused by enforcing too low a fan speed is that the car has been unable to keep up, if the weather is too extreme. It seems fair enough that the car is going to need a fan speed that allows enough warm air to be blown around the cabin and enough throughput of the heat exchangers for the AC to do its work effectively. It even crosses my mind that a low fan speed might mean the car has to use its heater and AC at a higher level to achieve an equivalent temperature/moisture level. I'm really playing devils advocate here because I'm more in manual than I am in auto but I think I'll consciouly make the effort to give it a few more goes in auto to see how it works out for me.

Reactions: browellm
in the summer probably not but in winter in a non heat pump I think so . Someone once claimed the output of the resistive heater is affected by the fan speed so if you turn down the speed then the heater output is also limited. Don't know if its true but turning down the fan to 1 or 2 does seem to make a difference.
would leaving it on auto and turning the temp down ultimately result in the same effect? maybe but it also results in colder air being blown at you at high speed which I can live without

• Informative
Reactions: jpm777 and Durzel
Interesting. I can't say I've ever been particularly impressed with my wh/hr readings, my ~20 or so mile journeys I'm doing at the moment seem to return a ~300-350 wh/hr figure, at least according to TeslaMate, and whilst I wouldn't say I'm being super conservative I'm not flooring it from every junction and standstill either.

Might have to do some tests with AC off and manual to see how it compares... thanks!

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Seems like a good idea. A problem I have sometimes caused by enforcing too low a fan speed is that the car has been unable to keep up, if the weather is too extreme. It seems fair enough that the car is going to need a fan speed that allows enough warm air to be blown around the cabin and enough throughput of the heat exchangers for the AC to do its work effectively. It even crosses my mind that a low fan speed might mean the car has to use its heater and AC at a higher level to achieve an equivalent temperature/moisture level. I'm really playing devils advocate here because I'm more in manual than I am in auto but I think I'll consciouly make the effort to give it a few more goes in auto to see how it works out for me.
The root cause of your issue is not the car it's that you live in Scotland :)
I have rarely had to turn the fan up above 2 to be comfortable in the winter.

The root cause of your issue is not the car it's that you live in Scotland :)
I have rarely had to turn the fan up above 2 to be comfortable in the winter.
Ambient temp is clearly going to be a factor when not living in the sub-tropical south! (anyway you should be out on flood defence duties ;)) Actually I usually live at fan speed 2 most of the time too ... but 3 helps overcome challenging conditions. A couple of months ago I did once have the car start misting up badly and thought the AC had failed but realised I'd been running on fan speed 1 ... anyway switching to auto sorted it out ... in that instance the human messed things up totally!

it also lets you enable/disable AC separately I think while attempting to keep the temperature that you've set. In particular useful in the winter if you want to dehumidify - put it in auto on tesla and it decides (often badly) whether AC should be on. I hate that

Ambient temp is clearly going to be a factor when not living in the sub-tropical south! (anyway you should be out on flood defence duties ;)) Actually I usually live at fan speed 2 most of the time too ... but 3 helps overcome challenging conditions. A couple of months ago I did once have the car start misting up badly and thought the AC had failed but realised I'd been running on fan speed 1 ... anyway switching to auto sorted it out ... in that instance the human messed things up totally!
Your concern is touching but fortunately I live in one of the few bits of Shropshire not underwater right now :)

Reactions: Adopado
The Auto heated seats are calibrated really well. I think Tesla deserve a star there.
Everyone is different though. For me they stay on far too long, and the heated steering wheel gets far too hot. I'd prefer a sensitivity adjustment in auto, and different heat settings (and and auto function) for the steering wheel as other manufacturers provide - Tesla trying to be too clever with their auto setting as usual.

Reactions: browellm
Interesting. I can't say I've ever been particularly impressed with my wh/hr readings, my ~20 or so mile journeys I'm doing at the moment seem to return a ~300-350 wh/hr figure, at least according to TeslaMate, and whilst I wouldn't say I'm being super conservative I'm not flooring it from every junction and standstill either.

Might have to do some tests with AC off and manual to see how it compares... thanks!
Agreed, I’m predominantly short journeys and my average wh/mi showing same as yours 300-350. I’ve been experimenting with Auto and Manual and don’t see much difference at all in energy use.

What’s the story then with the seated heats in auto? Am I right in thinking that the seats match the ambient temperature?

I quite like a nice warm seat, can I not have the hvac running in auto with the seat in max heat?