Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Put this terrifying news next to a recent study from the excellent economists at The Analysis Group:
The report, "The Economic Impacts of the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative on Nine Northeast and Mid-Atlantic States," found that implementing RGGI from 2012-2014 adds $1.3 billion in economic value to the nine-state RGGI region, leads to the creation of more than 14,000 new jobs, and cuts electricity and heating bills, saving consumers $460 million. Each individual state sees economic benefits as the region cuts annual carbon emissions by about a third from 2008 (140 million metric tons) to 2014 (90 million metric tons), according to the report. - See more at: Energy Report: States that Limit Carbon Emissions through Markets See Economic Benefits - Analysis Group
So...we can impose a carbon tax, increase employment, save consumers money, and slow CO2. What are our so-called leaders waiting for?

Hansen issues a dire warning: Sea level study: James Hansen issues dire climate warning.

Antarctic melting much faster (10x) than anticipated.

Flooding to commence commensurately sooner.

I've been around since 1977 and people have been making these exact any-minute-now predictions my entire life. Perhaps if we didn't speak in absolute terms about things we don't fully understand we wouldn't have so many deniers out there. There was no way out of the ozone hole catastrophe either, yet here we are.

I've been around since 1977 and people have been making these exact any-minute-now predictions my entire life. Perhaps if we didn't speak in absolute terms about things we don't fully understand we wouldn't have so many deniers out there. There was no way out of the ozone hole catastrophe either, yet here we are.

I like you TTM... you appear genuinely interested in discussion... let's get a couple things clear concerning CFCs vs AGW;

- The CFC issue WAS a genuine problem... we solved it by taking DECISIVE action with the Montreal Protocol.

- AGW is orders of magnitude more complicated. CFCs were manufactured by fewer than a dozen companies. DuPont alone was responsible for ~25%.

George Marshall discusses the differences at length in his book 'Why our brains are wired to ignore climate change'; While they may share superficial similarities even calling it an apples and oranges comparison doesn't do it justice... more like iPods and oranges.

In <25 years we were able to reduce CFC production by ~98% for the reasons stated above PLUS there was a viable alternative that was also in some ways superior. With CO2 we're stuck in the awkward position of admitting that we do need fossil fuels for some applications while admitting that they do cause harm.

CFCs were a tame problem... relatively easily solved involving only a few key players.

Global Warming is a 'wicked problem' solutions employed with CFCs are next to useless with AGW. You have to balance environmental vs economic harm... an outright ban is impossible; you can't simply quit 'cold-turkey' like we effectively did with CFCs.

In terms of speaking in absolute terms... it's important you don't allow known unknown to bleed into known knowns... there ARE areas there there IS absolute certainty...

KNOWN KNOWNs (Absolutely certain)
- CO2 levels have risen ~40% since the industrial revolution began.
- Fossil fuels have contributed 200% as much as would be required for that rise
- Doubling CO2 will raise average global temperatures ~2C through the change in radiation balance alone
- Warmer temperatures mean a change in weather patterns AND generally stronger storms
- Warmer temperatures mean a rise in sea level

KNOWN UNKNOWNs
- What are the Feedbacks? Consensus it generally positive... 2C forcing results in additional ~1-7 degree feedback for total rise of ~3-8C
- What are the changes in weather patterns? Consensus is wet areas get wetter... dry areas get dryer... worse floods and worse droughts
- How fast will sea levels rise? Almost certainly >2' just from the thermal expansion of the oceans. We're getting close to the point of no return with the ice caps... that locks us into a long-term ~200' rise in sea level.

UNKNOWN UNKNOWNs
Theres a lot of apocalyptic stuff out there that we simply don't know enough about... like the clathrate gun hypothesis

The fact that we don't know for certain what sea level will be in 2100 doesn't mean we don't know that sea level WILL rise. At the end of the day we need to accelerate our transition away from fossil fuels... the risks are simply too great. There is FAR too much apathy and no where near enough action.

I was reading a thread on wranglerforums from 2011 about the possibility of an all-electric Wrangler being produced. Tesla was obviously brought up fairly quickly and then naysayers quickly followed with comments about EVs that seem ridiculous just a few years later. It's amazing to me the progress that's been made both in EVs and solar over the last 4-6 years, borderline unfathomable progress if you asked a lot of us in 2010. Consensus seems to be renewables starting to take over the world by 2030? I say that's not how we generally operate. The minute we hit a certain emotional/political tipping point we'll be throwing up SolarCity gigfactories faster than you can say petroleum byproduct and I think that point is right around the corner.

Elevated CO2 levels are clearly and obviously the result of human activity and elevated CO2 levels have always(from what we can tell) coincided with elevated temperatures. We have no real clue what is going to happen over the next 20-50 years, we are simply taking a humongous risk that we don't need to be taking. You say the Ozone Layer alarms were different, I remember them being precisely the same. I can remember being told in 2007 that the North Pole would be ice free by 2009 for sure. Didn't happen. What if China and India go 80% renewables in the next 20 years and everyone naturally follows? What happens to CO2 then? How long does it take to stabilize CO2 concentration to historical average? This has never happened before so we have no way of knowing the outcome, we can't even tell if it's going to rain tomorrow.

I'm not saying there's no urgency, but all these alarms and dire warnings that never lead to anything are probably contributing to the upswing in denialism. Let's just go all in on solar and wind because it's logical and call it a day.

Elevated CO2 levels are clearly and obviously the result of human activity and elevated CO2 levels have always(from what we can tell) coincided with elevated temperatures. We have no real clue what is going to happen over the next 20-50 years, we are simply taking a humongous risk that we don't need to be taking. You say the Ozone Layer alarms were different, I remember them being precisely the same. I can remember being told in 2007 that the North Pole would be ice free by 2009 for sure. Didn't happen. What if China and India go 80% renewables in the next 20 years and everyone naturally follows? What happens to CO2 then? How long does it take to stabilize CO2 concentration to historical average? This has never happened before so we have no way of knowing the outcome, we can't even tell if it's going to rain tomorrow.

Well... we've been working against AGW LONGER than CFCs... AGW is getting worse and CFCs are gone... so there's that...

There are extremes on both sides... you gotta go with the consensus. I'm unaware of any studies predicting a complete loss of arctic sea ice before next year. Most peg it at around 2030.

The Jason Advisory Group did a very in depth review in 1980... we know a lot more than you would think. The mainstream predictions have been mostly correct. We know we're going to slowly lose sea ice and glaciers. We know temps are going to rise. We know droughts and floods are going to get worse. We know storms are going to get stronger.

Really? This is still going to happen? Even with all the talk from Obama about climate change is the next important idea to work on? Even when the US made negotiations with China to reduce our emissions?

Shell Gets Final OK for Arctic Oil Drilling But Must Await Spill Gear - NBC News

Really-SNL.jpg

Really? This is still going to happen? Even with all the talk from Obama about climate change is the next important idea to work on? Even when the US made negotiations with China to reduce our emissions?

Shell Gets Final OK for Arctic Oil Drilling But Must Await Spill Gear - NBC News
This is the sort of thing that will ultimately one day make my head explode. I've come close a few times, but so far it's still on my shoulders.

Around here, there have been big issues with pipelines. Bitumen, natural gas, I'm just waiting for someone to propose one for lumber or iron-ore... :rolleyes:

The bitumen pipeline (Kinder Morgan) is drawing attention because, of course, bitumen sinks rather than floats. If there is a spill along the pipeline, or worse, in the Vancouver harbour where the tankers will be loaded, the mess will be ugly, toxic and essentially impossible to clean up. Think deep-sea divers with SpongeTowels... LOL.

But nobody seems to understand that protesting the pipeline and possible spills is pretty much like opposing the Nazis in WWII because you thought their uniforms showed really horrible fashion sense. The pipeline (like the others) has one purpose only... and that is to facilitate the delivery and release of sequestered carbon. THAT'S what people should be panicked about! Yes, a spill would be horrible and that certainly concerns me too, but the greater evil is the release of carbon.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the masses. It's what gets politicians elected, again and again...

This is the sort of thing that will ultimately one day make my head explode. I've come close a few times, but so far it's still on my shoulders.

The bitumen pipeline (Kinder Morgan) is drawing attention...

Luckily you don't live in Eastern Canada or your head would explode over Trudeau and Mulcair being against Northern Gateway, but somehow supporting Energy East.

Well... we've been working against AGW LONGER than CFCs... AGW is getting worse and CFCs are gone... so there's that...

There are extremes on both sides... you gotta go with the consensus. I'm unaware of any studies predicting a complete loss of arctic sea ice before next year. Most peg it at around 2030.

The Jason Advisory Group did a very in depth review in 1980... we know a lot more than you would think. The mainstream predictions have been mostly correct. We know we're going to slowly lose sea ice and glaciers. We know temps are going to rise. We know droughts and floods are going to get worse. We know storms are going to get stronger.

+ 1

On a slightly different point: this article reports that the Jamaican utility is pulling "down nearly 10,000 illegal connections" to the power grid. Why do people steal power? "In import-dependent Jamaica, consumers pay as much as five times more for electricity than people do in communities in South Florida."

Think about how much simpler this would all be with distributed solar on microgrids. Solar is going to be far cheaper and environmentally sound than importing diesel for generation. It empowers householders to become energy independent, and discourages illegal connections because you'd be stealing from your neighbors, not some faceless bureaucracy.

This sort of low-hanging fruit on addressing climate change should be happening now; when burning fossils fuels is a worse than the renewable alternative on economics and incentives, there's simply no reason not to shift. The impediment? Lack of capital. But there's no shortage of investable capital in the first world, looking for a decent return. How to put the need together with the resources?

On a slightly different point: this article reports that the Jamaican utility is pulling "down nearly 10,000 illegal connections" to the power grid. Why do people steal power? "In import-dependent Jamaica, consumers pay as much as five times more for electricity than people do in communities in South Florida."

Attached is the rate for Jamica. If you do the conversion to Dollars, it is slightly less than the top rate charged by PG&E in California!

http://www.myjpsco.com/wp-content/uploads/2014-Rate-Schedules.pdf

But there's no shortage of investable capital in the first world, looking for a decent return. How to put the need together with the resources?
I freely admit to being pretty clueless when it comes to investments and the stock market etc. I understand that the way to make a small fortune in the stock market is to start with a large one. That's about the extent of it.

If the return on 'dirty investments' were taxed more heavily and clean ones perhaps weren't taxed at all, would that help? Essentially a carbon tax, but on the investment side of the equation. Big investors look for return and generally do so without any moral dilemma (just read Seeking Alpha for confirmation of that).

Essentially, you need to bring morality into the stock market. Perhaps I'm cynical, but I don't see that happening any time soon...

I'm trying to recall the name of an investment group or fund... perhaps out of the UK... Big Society Capital I think? Yeah... a web search and quick look at their site confirms they're the ones I'm thinking about. Morally-sound investments... an oxymoron if I've ever heard of one, but that's what's needed.

This article should be sent to any public figure, who denies the FACTS about climate change or is trying to delay acting on FACTS. Everyone is welcome to their OPINION, but if you're in a position of power, such as a political representative, and use your OPINIONS to justify your action or inaction, you should personally be held legally accountable. Many countries have laws that hold politicians responsible for reckless management of public funds.

Yes, Your Opinion Can Be Wrong | Houston Press

Last edited:
This city is about 10 minutes from the city I live in. It's in the DFW metroplex. I'm really starting to get more aggravated than anything else when I hear about this, especially as solar prices fall.....

42,800 gallons of fracking fluid boiled over — spewing into the streets, sewers and streams of Arlington Texas. | UPRISER

42,800 gallons of fracking fluid — boiling up from thousands of feet underground — spewed into the streets and into Arlington storm sewers and streams. A series of video recordings obtained by News 8 shows the scene behind the walls of a fracking site 600 feet from a cluster of homes in the state’s seventh largest city.