Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm glad you think that and agree on the ice samples, but I also think the models we have are helping our understanding of what's going on. The five part article on Exxon talks about how they were the first ones to help create our models we use today and how over time they are getting better and better at predicting the future.

Exxon's Own Research Confirmed Fossil Fuels' Role in Global Warming Decades Ago | InsideClimate News

Also, if you haven't seen this TED talk on climate models, I highly recommend it:

Right on. This is a great TED talk that clearly explains the purpose and usefulness of climate models.

Last edited by a moderator:
not good........

12799146_10153963909627708_4820703663981071743_n.png

I've got a co-worker that constantly spouts Fox News BS and is convinced we're in a cooling trend... (didn't you know it's now called climate change because its getting colder?) even as glaciers shrink, every met service says otherwise, ski season is getting shorter, animals migrate sooner etc... etc... I often wonder how many record warmest years we have to have before everyone can finally at least agree that the earth is getting warmer.

Discussing science with a dyed in the wool denier is a bit like this.... no matter how absurd their position; they're going to think they won... you just need to walk away...

Once again, it looks like unusually warm waters in the Gulf of Maine is going to impact the lobster industry here. Between the clear impacts of warming on lobsters and also on our shellfish industry here, few people doubt that there's a warming trend. I suspect most will even say human activities have a hand in it. The challenge is to get people to take personal actions to help.

For those interested: I wrote a blog on the basics of CO2 emissions and how electric cars compare to fossil fuel cars. The data is based on Dutch and German research, but I believe is applicable to countries outside of the EU as well. It is a simple article and I hope it will help educate people on the true emissions of electric cars and how they are less polluting than comparable fossil fuel cars. My blog can be found in my signature. As you can see, I am still a student and one day hope to be able to drive a Tesla myself. Cheers and I wish you all countless safe and clean miles/kilometers!

Interesting read (glad I didn't have to translate! ;-) )

It appears that diesel per litre has a bigger carbon footprint than gasoline. I thought it was the reverse? Or does the improved fuel economy adjust the order if you were to measure by the km instead of by the litre?

<brain fart deleted>

Last edited:
Table needs a decimal point ahead of the numbers in the Well to Tank column?
That threw me off too. Apparently in the Netherlands they use a period to separate thousands and a comma as a decimal point. So 2.740 under WTW for gasoline is 2740 g, and 24,2 in the energy consumption table for Model S is 24.2 kWh/100km. Funny - people wonder why we can't standardize charging plugs but we can't even standardize how to write a number :smile:.

That threw me off too. Apparently in the Netherlands they use a period to separate thousands and a comma as a decimal point. So 2.740 under WTW for gasoline is 2740 g, and 24,2 in the energy consumption table for Model S is 24.2 kWh/100km. Funny - people wonder why we can't standardize charging plugs but we can't even standardize how to write a number :smile:.
LOL... that really should have occurred to me, especially with the use of an entire litre of fuel in the number! I'm used to seeing CO2 in grams per km and my mind went straight there without really considering the magnitude of the numbers! :redface:

Funnily enough, there IS an international standard for writing large numbers, embedded in the International_System_of_Units. I go out of my way to use it. It specifies using a narrow space for the three-digit grouping separator (backslash-space in TeX and troff, unpaddable space in some other tools), and has a shocking option: either period or comma for the decimal point.

Funnily enough, there IS an international standard for writing large numbers, embedded in the International_System_of_Units. I go out of my way to use it. It specifies using a narrow space for the three-digit grouping separator (backslash-space in TeX and troff, unpaddable space in some other tools), and has a shocking option: either period or comma for the decimal point.
Yes, it would be nice if everyone used SI number formats and units and ISO-8601 date formats (yyyy-mm-dd), etc... But people are reluctant to change so, sadly, standards often end up just writing down all the options so everyone can keep doing what they were doing, or they get ignored.

I've got a co-worker that constantly spouts Fox News BS and is convinced we're in a cooling trend... (didn't you know it's now called climate change because its getting colder?) even as glaciers shrink, every met service says otherwise, ski season is getting shorter, animals migrate sooner etc... etc... I often wonder how many record warmest years we have to have before everyone can finally at least agree that the earth is getting warmer.

Discussing science with a dyed in the wool denier is a bit like this.... no matter how absurd their position; they're going to think they won... you just need to walk away...

Those people will become oddly silent eventually, as more extreme weather events are experienced. Perhaps a 125 degree day or series of days in middle America, or an 85 degree day in Winter in North Dakota, or an enormous chunk of ice sheet breaking off into the ocean and causing a sunami somewhere. At that point, action will start to have sufficient support. Hopefully that happens before it is too late.

At the very least, we can all be happy that average temperatures are beginning to regularly exceed the 1998 extreme, and that extremely tired argument of no warming in 17 years ... 18 years ... 19 years (always starting at 1998) will finally be over.

Thank you for your feedback! I will look into the decimals and periods and find out what is best for an international audience. As you already know, I am Dutch and probably not that educated on the differences with comma's and periods :).

Just know that by driving a Tesla you cause less CO2 per km than fossil fuel cars, and obviously drive one of the safest/fastest/coolest cars money can buy! You have no idea how envious I am :redface::biggrin:.