Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, so I've gotten the data sets for 5 stations in and around Fort Worth and imported into Tableau. First, a few things. Your zip code shows that you're in Fort Worth. Weatherford doesn't appear to be your "hometown" NOAA station. There are stations much more central to Fort Worth, which you can find by going here.

What I did find about Weatherford is probably what you already knew when you selected it. It's a bit of a darling for your pal Heller. It has a cooling bias in the raw data that doesn't match with any of the regional stations:

Lol, I was born in Weatherford so it is my hometown and I plugged it into the NYT's bogus calculator. So how about we look at ALL of the data from ALL of the states instead?:

Untitled.jpg

It is clear that cooling is occurring nationwide, not just in Weatherford. So who is doing the cherry-picking now? ;)

BTW, this graphic shows just how much the NYT fudges the data:

Untitled-1.jpg

As you can see, the NYT's fake data bears no resemblance to the real data.

Gentlemen- please share your results with us. I don't need to know all the bob-and-weave of data set averaging, but your final conclusion and support is of great interest to me.
If @jrad6515 agrees to work with me, I can open a Slack channel and we can have others join and watch while we dissect. He will have to come up with some acceptable scientific methodology to correct for instrumentation bias if he’s unwilling to accept the currently used standards. But I’m sure we can find something accepted within the statistical and scientific community.

Reactions: SageBrush
If @jrad6515 agrees to work with me, I can open a Slack channel and we can have others join and watch while we dissect. He will have to come up with some acceptable scientific methodology to correct for instrumentation bias if he’s unwilling to accept the currently used standards. But I’m sure we can find something accepted within the statistical and scientific community.
I used to think I was on top of things, but dont have a clue what a Slack Channel is. I hope you have a fruitful encounter and can share the nuggets with me/us. I hope he is an intelligent and participating, contributing, scientist and not just a hard core naysayer.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Back when I was young and keen, I was a biology major. I don't remember a whole lot from my botany course (it has been 45 years). I did remember a few things, and a quick internet search confirmed my memory.

There are four types of photosynthesis that plants utilize: C3, C4, intermediate C3-C4, and CAM. By far the majority of plants on Earth are C3 plants--upwards of 80%. The Calvin Cycle is what this process is called. When temperatures get too hot and dry, C3 plants fold up shop and efficiency suffers due to photorespiration. Almost all our food and fiber consumed on Earth are C3 plants.

C4 plants are uncommon, with <1% of all plants utilize C4. (Sugarcane and corn are among them). This method undergoes a two-step process whereby the initial process forms a four-carbon molecule (malic acid) before an additional step changes it to a 3-carbon molecule to continue photosynthesis like a C3 plant. C4 is much more efficient that C4, and does not suffer nearly as much during hot and dry conditions.

I don't recall anything about the intermediate C3/C4 types of plants and their processes of photosynthesis.

CAM plants (about 10%) are unusual in that they are primarily in desert areas where the days are hot and dry and water is scarce. These plants are mostly cacti, succulents, and other denizens of the desert. The stomata on CAM plants open at night when it has cooled off and absorb CO2. During the night, the plant converts CO2 to malic acid for storage. The stomata close when it warms up the following morning and then utilizes the stored malic acid for photosynthesis like C4 plants.

My feeling is that plants have adapted to certain levels of CO2 in the atmosphere that have remained within certain parameters for millennia. We really do not know if significant increases in ground-level CO2 would have potential deleterious effects on the efficacy of the plant's life cycle. For example, would increases in CO2 require more water? Would the plant need to take up more nutrients from the soil? Would the yields -- food, fiber, and timber -- be less? Would there be increased stress on the plant by insects and air or soil-borne pathogens?

I am not suggesting that what I wrote is relevant to climate change and global warming. But I submit that these effects on all the plants that undergo photosynthesis have not been adequately addressed by those who are arguing either side of climate change and global warming.

Would the plant need to take up more nutrients from the soil? Would the yields -- food, fiber, and timber -- be less? Would there be increased stress on the plant by insects and air or soil-borne pathogens?
First, thank you for that information.

Second, yes, there have been several articles over the years that already show that there is too much CO2 in our soil now and thus creates less nutrient foods.

And there have been studies and books written on how the warming NE has caused more ticks to stay around, thus killing off more deer than usual. Check out the book Oil and Honey for this example.

Back when I was young and keen, I was a biology major. I don't remember a whole lot from my botany course (it has been 45 years). I did remember a few things, and a quick internet search confirmed my memory.

There are four types of photosynthesis that plants utilize: C3, C4, intermediate C3-C4, and CAM. By far the majority of plants on Earth are C3 plants--upwards of 80%. The Calvin Cycle is what this process is called. When temperatures get too hot and dry, C3 plants fold up shop and efficiency suffers due to photorespiration. Almost all our food and fiber consumed on Earth are C3 plants.

C4 plants are uncommon, with <1% of all plants utilize C4. (Sugarcane and corn are among them). This method undergoes a two-step process whereby the initial process forms a four-carbon molecule (malic acid) before an additional step changes it to a 3-carbon molecule to continue photosynthesis like a C3 plant. C4 is much more efficient that C4, and does not suffer nearly as much during hot and dry conditions.

I don't recall anything about the intermediate C3/C4 types of plants and their processes of photosynthesis.

CAM plants (about 10%) are unusual in that they are primarily in desert areas where the days are hot and dry and water is scarce. These plants are mostly cacti, succulents, and other denizens of the desert. The stomata on CAM plants open at night when it has cooled off and absorb CO2. During the night, the plant converts CO2 to malic acid for storage. The stomata close when it warms up the following morning and then utilizes the stored malic acid for photosynthesis like C4 plants.

My feeling is that plants have adapted to certain levels of CO2 in the atmosphere that have remained within certain parameters for millennia. We really do not know if significant increases in ground-level CO2 would have potential deleterious effects on the efficacy of the plant's life cycle. For example, would increases in CO2 require more water? Would the plant need to take up more nutrients from the soil? Would the yields -- food, fiber, and timber -- be less? Would there be increased stress on the plant by insects and air or soil-borne pathogens?

I am not suggesting that what I wrote is relevant to climate change and global warming. But I submit that these effects on all the plants that undergo photosynthesis have not been adequately addressed by those who are arguing either side of climate change and global warming.
These things have been studied and there is a good body of literature.

You seem like a reasonable person and I appreciate the offer but I have no idea what the Slack channel is and I don't have the time or inclination to join it right now. But I am curious - my raw data file is > 2.5Gb. Can something that huge be studied on the Slack channel?

If you want to share spreadsheet data subsets here I can, and already have, done that. But if you can't at least admit that the NYT's climate data calculator is bogus in the face of contradictory hard evidence I posted directly from NCDC/NOAA data files then there is no point in continuing the conversation.

• Disagree
One question I've never seen an answer to... how would increasing CO2 levels >30% NOT cause warming???

Like this:

Untitled.png

CO2 is going up and hot days are going down. The obvious answer is that something other than CO2 is driving climate, at least here in the US, but there is no research money in looking at anything other than CO2 and you can't demonize and tax water vapor, cloud cover, solar insolation, AMO/PDO etc.

• Disagree
Like this:

View attachment 336253
CO2 is going up and hot days are going down. The obvious answer is that something other than CO2 is driving climate, at least here in the US, but there is no research money in looking at anything other than CO2 and you can't demonize and tax water vapor, cloud cover, solar insolation, AMO/PDO etc.

That's... that's not an explanation. The theory of the role of CO2 in Climate change didn't start with a graph.. it started with physics. Is there an explanation to how we can add >6,701,400 TWh/yr from radiative imbalance without heating the planet? What is it? Is the math wrong? If it's right how can global warming be false?

(1.5E-12TW/m²)(24hr/day)(365days/yr)(510Tm²) = 6,701,400 TWh/yr

And >90% of the increased thermal energy is going into the oceans... if you want a trend wouldn't it make more sense to track that?

change_earths_total_heat_456.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
More context;

The bomb that destroyed Hiroshima released ~23TWh of energy. So we're trapping ~291,365 atomic bombs worth of energy every year from the increase in CO2 levels. ~800/day, 33 every hour, that's 1 every 2 minutes 24/7/365. Math. Physics.

AND... that's just CO2. Warmer air can hold more moisture... just ask Wilmington, NC and Houston, TX. H2O is an even better GHG than CO2. The added feedback more than doubles the radiative imbalance. So that's >500,000 atomics bombs of energy every year...

Fools fuel... the dumbest experiment ever....

Reactions: SmartElectric
You seem like a reasonable person and I appreciate the offer but I have no idea what the Slack channel is and I don't have the time or inclination to join it right now. But I am curious - my raw data file is > 2.5Gb. Can something that huge be studied on the Slack channel?

If you want to share spreadsheet data subsets here I can, and already have, done that. But if you can't at least admit that the NYT's climate data calculator is bogus in the face of contradictory hard evidence I posted directly from NCDC/NOAA data files then there is no point in continuing the conversation.
You seem to skip over my posts or not read them thoroughly. I can't discern whether that's purposeful or accidental. I'll assume best intentions and just lay out one simple thing you appear to be overlooking repeatedly, which is this:

How do you intend to sanitize your raw data and correct for instrumentation bias? Using the raw data, as you are doing, is not scientifically accurate. As you've discussed your triple science degree credentials, I'm certain you understand data sanitation and bias. How do you propose correcting for it in the data you're using?

Slack was just a way to live stream our discussion. You should check out Tableau, which is a shared visualization tool and spreadsheet. That's what I suggested working together on.