Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess everything is going to be OK, Trump says he has a natural instinct for science, and his instinct tells him climate science is wrong
Trump: My ‘Natural Instinct for Science’ Tells Me Climate Science Is Wrong

“My uncle was a great professor at MIT for many years. Dr. John Trump,” he said. “And I didn’t talk to him about this particular subject, but I have a natural instinct for science, and I will say that you have scientists on both sides of the picture.”

So Trump’s claim to scientific competence rests on his belief that science is a matter of instinct, and this instinct is passed on genetically, as evidenced by his uncle. Those lucky few possessed of this gift can look at two competing hypotheses and know which one is correct, without needing to study the evidence, or even having a clear understanding of what “evidence” means. Trump has luckily inherited this instinct, along with some $400 million in untaxed gifts from his father.

Proof we are living in a simulation and the programmers are just making up the most absurd scenarios they can think of.

Honestly I think an orangutang is smarter.
discworld-the-unseen-university-illustration-main-david-wyatt-terry-pratchett.jpg

We need a fossil fuel non-proliferation treaty – and we need it now | Andrew Simms and Peter Newell
Proposal for a fossil fuel on-proliferation treaty for the climate
We could even adapt the classic “three pillar” structure of the NPT. The first is “non proliferation” itself.
The second pillar of the NPT is disarmament. This means rapid substitution of clean energy for fossil fuels.
The final pillar concerns the promotion of the “peaceful” use of technology. In a climate context, that would mean massively expanding existing initiatives to compensate poorer countries for leaving fossil fuels in the ground, while ensuring access to clean energy and the technology needed for development. Funds could be also redirected from the staggering $10m per minute that governments give in fossil fuel subsidies, according to the International Monetary Fund.

Forward Observer’s take.

My wife and I, primarily her desire to know, attended a walking tour of Venice, Italy today. The tour was Ecology of Venice by Context Tours. There were just three of us and the tour was led by a young man that just submitted his thesis for his PhD, we congratulated him.

A key point, in this (part of) world, as the tour guide stated in the beginning, believes in sea rise.

As a retired soldier, it’s all about the military:) Historically, Venice was built in its location for much the same reason a castle is built with a moat. Kept invading armies at bay so to say:)

What I came away with was that the city’s inhabitants are leaving at the rate of 1,000 a year. He told us that was eating into their population of fifty thousand. Later, talking to a British couple they heard the population to now be at forty-seven thousand. I questioned the loss of tax base, but did not question the the voter base which is eroding. He bounced back to his earlier point that Venice was fast becoming like a Disneyland ~ tourism was their primary source of income ~ no people, just an empty decaying city. Another very important point here is that people are migrating to where they can live and with any luck, find jobs.

The ground level is flooded on a good year about three times, and on a bad year eighteen times and computer modeling showed a steady increase. There is only one home now on the ground level, whereas everything else is now pretty much store or business related on the first floor/ground level. Our hotel room is on the first floor, and in talking to the shift person, only the court yard here gets flooded from time to time. The water doing the flooding is not only salt water, it is the city sewer water. There are no septic systems to speak of. . . My joaking is that it gets the royal flush twice a day. Okay, sad humor. Later today we sat looking out over the water and did not see signs of nasty stuff so things must clearly work, but now I know why in all my quick tours of Venice starting fifty years ago as a young enlisted soldier, I have never seen anyone swimming in the water. As we were reviewing menus, we avoided the places with “the catch of the day.” :)

There are three key points where the water from the sea enters the lagoon. Projects started ten years ago have failed from the get-go because the population did not want their view obststrcted with some gigantic sea wall/gate thing like say the Dutch live with. The next big failure is technology. Their mechanism dream was to lift up and hold the water back while needed, and then lay back down out of sight, out of mind when not in use. Well, Elon could share his experience with the Model X Falcon Wings, and they still might not get it. Remember now, they physically started ten years ago, and are only half done, and metal under water has rushed out already and the door or raised part has never been installed or tested ~ my guess is, it never will.

Then there is the government; it is corrupt according to our guide. Again from my military days, the latter part as an officer and knowing a thing or two about history during my parents era to now; well I just never gave Italian Italy much thought when came to augmentation forces; militarily speaking. The people now tend to protest new technology proposals once they catch wind of them. Since man engineered projects seem to fail more often than succeed since we as humans fail to take into account all the ramifications that mother nature has built into the natural way of things. Other writers here have pointed that out a time or two.

My wife would walk away from our homeland in a heartbeat, but nothing is really “greener over the mountain.” I got a kick out of the British couple we chatted with while sitting on the bench overlooking the water. They were eager to leave Britain following BritX (military shorthand), but have stayed since their children were staying and held out hope that they could help correct things. We would sell off everything and move, but then there is our daughter, the GrandPups (grandkids) and our son-in-law. Looking around it is just as sad everywhere else or no where to go to avoid climate change. After a tiring day of the walking guided tour, and our own exploration (several miles by foot); my wife last evening said “we did not see a single car.” Interesting observation after a long day.

Gotta love that stock price swing:)

• Informative
Reactions: skitown
It is clear from the latest IPCC climate report that the first and only effective course, albeit a deeply unpopular one, would be to stop using any fossil fuels.

There are three options in tackling climate change. Only one will work
There are three options in tackling climate change. Only one will work | Mayer Hillman

Future generations will judge us on what we choose to do in full knowledge – accessories before the fact – of the devastating consequences of continuing with our energy-profligate lifestyles.

Interesting background on Arizona's ballot initiative and Arizona Power's fight against renewable energy.
The Battle for Solar Energy in the Country’s Sunniest State

For A.P.S., a two-hundred-million-dollar gas-fuel plant would be more lucrative than a twenty-million-dollar solar array because the utility can charge higher rates to recoup its investment costs. Kris Mayes, a former Republican A.C.C. commissioner, who helped write the language of Prop 127, told me the Averch-Johnson effect explains why, in 2017, A.P.S. called for more than five thousand megawatts of new natural-gas additions, and almost no utility-scale renewables. “If they were truly acting in public interest,” Mayes said, “they would not be proposing fifty-four hundred megawatts of new natural-gas plants.”

Interesting background on Arizona's ballot initiative and Arizona Power's fight against renewable energy.
The Battle for Solar Energy in the Country’s Sunniest State

For A.P.S., a two-hundred-million-dollar gas-fuel plant would be more lucrative than a twenty-million-dollar solar array because the utility can charge higher rates to recoup its investment costs. Kris Mayes, a former Republican A.C.C. commissioner, who helped write the language of Prop 127, told me the Averch-Johnson effect explains why, in 2017, A.P.S. called for more than five thousand megawatts of new natural-gas additions, and almost no utility-scale renewables. “If they were truly acting in public interest,” Mayes said, “they would not be proposing fifty-four hundred megawatts of new natural-gas plants.”
Further - I have heard that the Gov. has a back room deal with APS that says- even if the proposition passes and requires APS to install more solar, The Gov will give them a back door and not require them to follow the proposition language.

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr
Further - I have heard that the Gov. has a back room deal with APS that says- even if the proposition passes and requires APS to install more solar, The Gov will give them a back door and not require them to follow the proposition language.
Actually, the Arizona legislature passed a law last March that gave APS an out from the proposition in the form of a minimal penalty for violating any law mandating a percentage of renewable energy. The governor immediately signed it into law, although it is likely unconstitutional.
Read full article here
"But the law, which takes effect later this year — before the initiative can get on the ballot — spells out that the “exclusive remedy” for violating any constitutional provision dealing with how electricity must be generated is a fine that could be as much as $5,000 or as little as $100."

Actually, the Arizona legislature passed a law last March that gave APS an out from the proposition in the form of a minimal penalty for violating any law mandating a percentage of renewable energy. The governor immediately signed it into law, although it is likely unconstitutional.
Read full article here
"But the law, which takes effect later this year — before the initiative can get on the ballot — spells out that the “exclusive remedy” for violating any constitutional provision dealing with how electricity must be generated is a fine that could be as much as $5,000 or as little as $100."
Incredible corruption!

I camped out with a Dr. (General Family Practice) among other campers he was the most pessimistic.
Basically he said we are doomed. I pointed out that no WE aren't but our kids and grand-kids are doomed. The people that have the means will be able to relocate to areas not as affected by change. But for the vast majority of people who in the future can't afford the castle with the moat...yeah doomed.

And the drug dealer in chief Ontario's Premier wins the fight shutting down cap and trade:
'It was killing jobs, it's gone today,' environment minister says as province ends cap and trade | CBC News

The Ontario government has passed legislation to repeal the province's cap-and-trade system, putting the final nail in the coffin of a program Premier Doug Ford has long promised to scrap.
The province made close to $3 billion in a series of cap-and-trade auctions since the system was introduced by the Liberals last year. Ontario's fiscal watchdog recently said the cancellation of cap and trade will cost $3 billion in lost revenue over the next four fiscal years.
Opposition parties had expressed further concerns that the government could be on the hook for billions of dollars to compensate permit holders, but the Progressive Conservative government maintains it will spend up to $5 million in payouts to those companies.

The saddest thing is, that a significant portion of the population actually welcomes this move.
Looks like, the population is happy to support the government in committing genocide against our grandchildren.:mad::(:rolleyes: