Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, you're admitting you have no expertise or training in climate science.

What about some of your alarmist heroes?:

Kevin Trenberth: meterologist/weatherman

Michael Mann: Physicist

Gavin Schmid: Mathematician

Phil Jones: Dr. of Hydrology

James Hansen: Physics/math

Al Gore: D-student in grade school science

The list goes on and on...

BTW, there is a perfectly good branch of science that deals with the crux of the global warming debate called "atmospheric physics". You don't need to possess a politically correct "climate science" degree to understand the scientific principles involved.

• Funny
Reactions: ZsoZso
Umm...it was proven before you were even born:

• 1896 - Swedish chemist Svante Arrhenius is the first scientist to correlate the effect of carbon dioxide on the temperature of the atmosphere
  • 1930s - Guy Callendar documented for a decade the link between fossil fuel use and rising temperatures
  • 1955 - scientist Hans Suess proves fossil fuels (carbon 12) were diminishing natural carbon (carbon 14) in the atmosphere
    • The is the first time it was made possible to measure with accuracy the accumulation of fossil fuels in the atmosphere

Ummm...quit deflecting the question. I asked for any proof whatsoever that the plant-friendly CO2 that we have put in the atmosphere has had any material affect on the TEMPERATURE record.

• Funny
Actually it's not a matter of a game in my opinion.
CO2 produced by ICE cars is responsible of temperature increasing in the world. As temperature increases ice at the North pole melts. As ice melts the salt concentration in the sea decreases. As the salt concentration in the sea decreases the current of the Channel decreases. When the current of the Channel will stop the North side of the Earth will get frozen.
Have you seen the film "The day after tomorrow"?
This film shows what will happen when the current of the Channel will stop. So driving pure electric is useful to save the Earth.

Do you still want to game?

Sure I'll "game"!:

"Climate experts believe that the next ice age is on its way.";)

Last edited:

Kevin Trenberth: meterologist/weatherman

Gavin Schmid: Mathematician

Phil Jones: Dr. of Hydrology

James Hansen: Physics/math

Al Gore: D-student in grade school science

The list goes on and on...

BTW, there is a perfectly good branch of science that deals with the crux of the global warming debate called "atmospheric physics". You don't need to possess a politically correct "climate science" degree to understand the scientific principles involved.

Oh, ok. I've posted this awhile ago, but here it is again.

Katharine Hayhoe -

BIO | Katharine Hayhoe

I’m an atmospheric scientist. I study climate change, one of the most pressing issues we face today.

I don’t accept global warming on faith: I crunch the data, I analyze the models, I help engineers and city managers and ecologists quantify the impacts.

See the bold part:

began my career with a B.Sc. in physics and astronomy from the University of Toronto. My first published papers were in the field of observational astronomy, on variable stars and galaxy clustering around quasars. As I was finishing my degree, I took a class in climate science with Danny Harvey, who had previously been a postdoc at NCAR with Steve Schneider, and he blew my mind. I didn’t realize climate science was based on the exact same basic physics – thermodynamics, non-linear fluid dynamics, and radiative transfer – I’d been learning in astrophysics.

I switched gears and headed to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign to work on a M.S. in atmospheric science with Don Wuebbles, a climate scientist well known for his leadership in policy-relevant science. Working with Don, my masters research focused on understanding human and natural sources of methane, and quantifying the contribution of methane and other non-CO2 greenhouse gases to emission reduction targets.

Way too much for me to debunk right now. I'll just do the global cooling claim.
What were climate scientists predicting in the 1970s?
TL : DR

Most studies predicted warming. The ones saying that there was cooling were more interesting to the media, since they were contrary, so they got all the press.

Totally false. See here:

Massive Cover-up Exposed: 285 Papers From 1960s-’80s Reveal Robust Global Cooling Scientific ‘Consensus’

...the 220 “cooling” papers published between 1965-’79 could represent an 83.3% global cooling consensus for the era (220/264 papers), versus only a 16.7% consensus for anthropogenic global warming (44/264 papers)

NASA and the CIA were on board the global cooling bandwagon in the 70's. Even Leonard Nimoy (Spock) who possessed infallible Vulcan logic was was drinking the global cooling kool-aid that climate alarmists were dishing out before they did a 180-degreee turn and decided that we were going to burn up instead. :)

Last edited:
  • Funny
This post is for those interested in scientific methodology. If you are hard over and not willing to change your mind due to evidence then this post will be meaningless to you. Jrad6515 responded to a post of mine by throwing all need for proof on AGW. He threw out the term null hypothesis. However, throwing out a nice sounding term doesn't make its use correct. Let's start with the basics. In the debate there are several points needing evidence.

1) Are global temperatures rising? Data says they are. If someone disagrees then they need to refute the data and show data to the contrary. There is no null hypothesis here. Either temperatures are rising or they aren't. Note that I am not discussing cause at this point.

2) What is the cause of temperature rise? Again, there is no null hypothesis. The question is about the cause or causes. If it is due to solar radiation then one needs, at the least, to correlate received radiation with the temperature change. The same goes for orbital mechanics and for the release of CO2 form fossil fuels. The only correlation I have seen is from the release of CO2. I am open to other correlations. BTW, scientists took orbital mechanics very seriously. There are definite correlations to temperature changes in the past. However, orbital mechanics does not correlate to the present rapid changes.

The denier argument is along the lines of "I don't like your argument. Couldn't it be something else?" This isn't new. Einstein didn't like quantum mechanics and its "spooky action at a distance." He spent a large portion of his life trying to disprove it. The difference is that Einstein didn't say "But can you PROVE it?" He knew that, so far, predictions had been experimentally verified and that it was incumbent on him to produce a solid, verifiable theory that at some point disagreed with quantum mechanics in a way that could be tested. This is what the denier community fails to do. This is why tobacco companies couldn't release solid studies showing cigarettes were safe. All they could do was sow doubt. Back to quantum mechanics; many scientists in the field are a bit uncomfortable with quantum mechanics. They would love to find a better theory that is cleaner in a philosophical sense but they haven't been able to. To some extent the same is true of the need for renormalization in field theory. However, in all cases, they know they have to come up with an alternative, verifiable, theory.

Now for some personal comments/impressions.

Ggies07 provided solid evidence that CO2 is a greenhouse gas and is affecting global temperatures. When confronted with a direct, solid answer to his challenge, jrad6515 just denied it. He did nothing to show those experiments were incorrect. He deflected by saying ggies07 was deflecting when he wasn't.

Another subtle trick is to appeal to common sense and to thereby circumvent the scientific method. Jrad6515 does this when he appeals to the idea that trees love CO2. Here I want to caution the AGW community about how they frame their arguments. Many like to say the earth will be destroyed. I see no evidence of that. Earth will do just fine. While there will be a major extinction event, we have data showing the earth has recovered in the past. Trees may well survive although they will need to evolve more rapidly than in the past so I'm not certain of that. My problem is with the fate of mankind. The CO2 that trees love (according to jrad6515) is rising higher than at any time during man's existence. At some point I worry that we won't evolve fast enough. We know there have been past extinction events. The dinosaurs dominated much longer than man has and succumbed to rapid climate change brought on by a meteorite. Again, the earth will survive and there will probably be life on the planet. However, mankind might have passed.

I asked for proof of a human fingerprint in the temperature record, not for CO2 levels. Everyone concedes that human activity has put CO2 in the atmosphere but what you alarmists can't do is offer any empirical proof that it affects the temperature record in ANY material way.
The physics of the heat trapping ability of the CO2 molecule is well understood, just as the physics of the heat trapping ability of glass is well known. Your argument is equivalent to building a house made of glass and wondering if it will become a greenhouse.

This post is for those interested in scientific methodology. If you are hard over and not willing to change your mind due to evidence then this post will be meaningless to you. Jrad6515 responded to a post of mine by throwing all need for proof on AGW. He threw out the term null hypothesis. However, throwing out a nice sounding term doesn't make its use correct. Let's start with the basics. In the debate there are several points needing evidence.

1) Are global temperatures rising? Data says they are. If someone disagrees then they need to refute the data and show data to the contrary. There is no null hypothesis here. Either temperatures are rising or they aren't. Note that I am not discussing cause at this point.

2) What is the cause of temperature rise? Again, there is no null hypothesis. The question is about the cause or causes. If it is due to solar radiation then one needs, at the least, to correlate received radiation with the temperature change. The same goes for orbital mechanics and for the release of CO2 form fossil fuels. The only correlation I have seen is from the release of CO2. I am open to other correlations. BTW, scientists took orbital mechanics very seriously. There are definite correlations to temperature changes in the past. However, orbital mechanics does not correlate to the present rapid changes.

The denier argument is along the lines of "I don't like your argument. Couldn't it be something else?" This isn't new. Einstein didn't like quantum mechanics and its "spooky action at a distance." He spent a large portion of his life trying to disprove it. The difference is that Einstein didn't say "But can you PROVE it?" He knew that, so far, predictions had been experimentally verified and that it was incumbent on him to produce a solid, verifiable theory that at some point disagreed with quantum mechanics in a way that could be tested. This is what the denier community fails to do. This is why tobacco companies couldn't release solid studies showing cigarettes were safe. All they could do was sow doubt. Back to quantum mechanics; many scientists in the field are a bit uncomfortable with quantum mechanics. They would love to find a better theory that is cleaner in a philosophical sense but they haven't been able to. To some extent the same is true of the need for renormalization in field theory. However, in all cases, they know they have to come up with an alternative, verifiable, theory.

Now for some personal comments/impressions.

Ggies07 provided solid evidence that CO2 is a greenhouse gas and is affecting global temperatures. When confronted with a direct, solid answer to his challenge, jrad6515 just denied it. He did nothing to show those experiments were incorrect. He deflected by saying ggies07 was deflecting when he wasn't.

Another subtle trick is to appeal to common sense and to thereby circumvent the scientific method. Jrad6515 does this when he appeals to the idea that trees love CO2. Here I want to caution the AGW community about how they frame their arguments. Many like to say the earth will be destroyed. I see no evidence of that. Earth will do just fine. While there will be a major extinction event, we have data showing the earth has recovered in the past. Trees may well survive although they will need to evolve more rapidly than in the past so I'm not certain of that. My problem is with the fate of mankind. The CO2 that trees love (according to jrad6515) is rising higher than at any time during man's existence. At some point I worry that we won't evolve fast enough. We know there have been past extinction events. The dinosaurs dominated much longer than man has and succumbed to rapid climate change brought on by a meteorite. Again, the earth will survive and there will probably be life on the planet. However, mankind might have passed.

Nice try but you have not offered any proof that the current warming trend since the end of the Little Ice Age is in any way due to anthropogenic CO2 production. We have had similar or even greater periods of warming in the distant past which obviously were not due to AGW.

You can try to deflect this undeniable truth with tangential comments about tobacco companies, meteorites, trees. etc. but you can't prove that humans have affected the global temperature record in any way.

• Funny
Krugman has insight into denialism. You're not going to change their mind.

You see the same thing on climate change. Global warming is a myth — a hoax concocted by a vast conspiracy of scientists around the world. O.K., the climate is changing, but it’s a natural phenomenon that has nothing to do with human activity. O.K., man-made climate change is real, but we can’t do anything about it without destroying the economy.

As in the case of inequality, refuted climate arguments never go away. Instead, they become intellectual zombies that should be dead but just keep shambling along. If you think Republican arguments on climate have gotten more sophisticated, wait for the next snowstorm; I guarantee you’ll hear the same crude denialist arguments — the same willful confounding of climate with daily weather fluctuations — we’ve been hearing for decades.

What the right’s positioning on inequality, climate and now Russian election interference have in common is that in each case the people pretending to be making a serious argument are actually apparatchiks operating in bad faith.

What I mean by that is that in each case those making denialist arguments, while they may invoke evidence, don’t actually care what the evidence says; at a fundamental level, they aren’t interested in the truth. Their goal, instead, is to serve a predetermined agenda.

The Zombie Style in American Politics Opinion | The Zombie Style in American Politics

I rarely say this, but just stop engaging the troll and he'll probably go away.
Yeah, I engaged early assuming he was here in good faith and didn't understand science, but he has proven to any reasonable reader of this thread that he's just a dogmatic denier. I'm done with him as well.

Nice try but you have not offered any proof that the current warming trend since the end of the Little Ice Age is in any way due to anthropogenic CO2 production. We have had similar or even greater periods of warming in the distant past which obviously were not due to AGW.

You can try to deflect this undeniable truth with tangential comments about tobacco companies, meteorites, trees. etc. but you can't prove that humans have affected the global temperature record in any way.
Please see past comments about proof. You cannot show any temperature rise in CO2 that happened at the present rate in the past other than those associated with mass extinction events. Your argument that temperatures rose in the past are meaningless since they occurred over long periods of time. The exceptions involved very unpleasant mass extinction events. Furthermore you have offered no viable alternative. Every alternative to AGW has been shot down. You are engaging in wishful thinking rather than science. Please read what I wrote earlier. Einstein's distaste for quantum mechanics is a good example. He disliked it but never came up with a better explanation.

Yet again, you ask people to prove AGW but you don't disprove it. You give zero proof for what is causing the temperature rise. And yes, your arguments exactly mimic the tactics used by the tobacco companies. That is why I site them.

For people reading this thread, there were indeed scientists in the 60's who thought we might be entering a cooling period. To understand this you have to match it to their belief that CO2 levels in the atmosphere wouldn't rise since the oceans would provide adequate buffering. Unfortunately, that turned out to not be the case and CO2 levels have risen. Over the past 800,000 years there have been periods of cooling and warming. None have been as rapid as the present warming. Perhaps scarier is that AGW may have abated a cooling period. Yeah for us but bad for our descendants since those cooling pressures will eventually go away. To put all of this in perspective, the past heating and cooling periods also involve fluctuations in CO2 levels. We are way outside those normal fluctuations. If we warm to where anhydrous methane changes to a gas then we may have very strong feedback effect driving global temperatures much higher.

I know I will be criticized for responding to a troll. However, he uses common fallacious arguments used by the denier community and pushed by monied interests who seek to serve themselves over humanity. It is important that people recognize those arguments and that we get back to a society that respects science. We can only do that if we understand how science works and learn to ignore the "Merchants of Doubt" arguments or the appeals to common sense. For example, not much of quantum entanglement appeals to common sense nor the recent test verifying Wigner's Friend.

Its funny you would say that, the PennState Uni website Department of Meteorology and Atmospheric Science states about him:
Michael E. Mann — Penn State Meteorology and Atmospheric Science