Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
rain on your parade with facts and reality.

We seem to be in a bit of a decades long drought then..... you're not bringing any 'facts or reality'

Here's a few; Which fact do you think is not true?

1) CO2 levels have risen >40% since humanities fossil fuel addiction started
2) The burning of Fossil Fuels has emitted more than twice as much CO2 as would be required for that rise
3) Doubling CO2 will cause a rise in global average temperature of >3C.

The radiative properties of CO2 have been known and tested for >100 years... How can all 3 be true but Global Warming false?

Only Morons and Monsters use fools fuel where alternatives exist.

It is ironic that people calling other snowflakes are ones easily getting upset themself, if their rants on this very thread are any indication. Conservative snowflakes?

Quite the sensitive crew here. I love seeing liberals get exposed for their idiocy and even more I love the butt hurt reactions that come pouring out afterwards. I guess you alarmists just can’t handle the fact that people don’t buy your propaganda without proof. No wonder there is so much “climate despair“ out there.

I really think you guys are going to be upset if the world doesn’t burn up in 12 years like your hero AOC assures is is going to happen. In the meantime though you can send out little brainwashed Swedish school girls to spew your propaganda and myself and 31,000 other scientists will be laughing at you.

Quite the sensitive crew here. I love seeing liberals get exposed for their idiocy and even more I love the butt hurt reactions that come pouring out afterwards. I guess you alarmists just can’t handle the fact that people don’t buy your propaganda without proof. No wonder there is so much “climate despair“ out there.

I really think you guys are going to be upset if the world doesn’t burn up in 12 years like your hero AOC assures is is going to happen. In the meantime though you can send out little brainwashed Swedish school girls to spew your propaganda and myself and 31,000 other scientists will be laughing at you.
you certainly are a pleasure to put on ignore,
tata

Can we have a liberal snowflake denialist for a change ?
Or a trumper who understands a little science ?

This place is one big kettle of stereotypes
Oh, I've "met" some of the former. Sam Seder calls them the "dumb dumb left." The ones who watch RT because "It's not the mainstream media" not realizing that RT stands for Russia Today and is the wholly owned by the Kremlin propaganda arm of the Russian government. The ones who voted for Trump because he was "more liberal than Hillary" because Jimmy Dore told them that.

• Funny
Reactions: mspohr
US philanthropists vow to raise millions for climate activists

US philanthropists vow to raise millions for climate activists

A group of wealthy US philanthropists and investors have donated almost half a million pounds to support the grassroots movement Extinction Rebellion and school strike groups – with the promise of tens of millions more in the months ahead.

Trevor Neilson, an investor and philanthropist who has worked with some of the world’s richest families, has teamed up with Rory Kennedy – daughter of Robert Kennedy – and Aileen Getty, whose family wealth comes from the oil industry, to launch the Climate Emergency Fund.

It offers tiers of funding to support different-sized groups, from teenage activists wanting money for leaflets and megaphones, to funding for salaries and offices for established groups in big cities. It has already committed some of the fund to support Extinction Rebellion groups in New York and Los Angeles.

He said the new fund would back non-violent legal action.“It will provide resources to grassroots activists who seek to disrupt in a non-violent way [and] to demand that governments declare a climate emergency and put in place policies to address this crisis.”

“History shows us that change comes from the people. It is grassroots movements throughout history that force governments to act when government is resistant.”

Reactions: SageBrush
‘Goats are the best tool’: grazers in high demand to reduce US wildfire risk

‘Goats are the best tool’: grazers in high demand to reduce US wildfire risk

As the western US braces for another wildfire season, following its most devastating on record, public officials and private landowners are turning to an unlikely, rustic tool to manage increasingly incendiary lands.

Goats.

In California, where wildfires have long been a threat, goats have worked for decades to protect coastal communities from creeping conflagrations. But worsening, deadly fire seasons across western US have inspired more communities to try managing their lands not with machines and chemicals, but with hungry animals.

Grazing goats are far from the newest wildfire prevention tool, but they have a comparably tiny footprint. They’re efficient, clean eaters, nibbling away at weeds and grasses and leaving far less damage than an herbicide. They’re nimble climbers, able to scamper up steep flammable hillsides and into narrow canyons that humans would struggle to reach. They’re impervious to poison oak, and they don’t disrupt natural ecosystems or scare away indigenous animals. Where conspicuously carved fire breaks on verdant hillsides might upset homeowners, goats are welcome seasonal cuteness.

• Love
Reactions: Dr. J
“History shows us that change comes from the people. It is grassroots movements throughout history that force governments to act when government is resistant.”
My read of history is that the grass roots always has a faction that is violent. Without at least the threat of violence the status-quo is happy to just keep on talking.

This is why the pharmacist and jrad tupes are best ignored. They are a distraction from the work that needs to be done.

Reactions: mspohr and jerry33
We were already over 350ppm when I was born

We were already over 350ppm when I was born | Jamie Margolin

Many people trace the origins of today’s climate crisis to the Industrial Revolution, when humans first began to burn large amounts of coal, but the crisis’s true roots extend further back to the onset of colonialism. When European colonizers ventured to Africa, Asia, North and South America, they invariably plundered the local natural resources, damaged habitats, hunted species to extinction and often forced human inhabitants into slavery. Undergirding European colonialism was the assumption that everything on the earth was meant to be extracted, bought and sold – and to make an elite minority very rich. In the eyes of the colonizers, the “new” lands they encountered had no owners – no one had purchased them with a recognizable currency or could prove ownership with property records – so it was free pickings. Along with this attitude came the idea that nothing – not air, not water, not trees, not animals – was sacred or priceless.

Which is why the climate crisis demands bigger solutions than we initially thought. We need to see the climate crisis not as a stand-alone issue floating separately from everything else, but as the grand culmination of societal injustices that have been building up for centuries. We must speak truth to power, call out these systems of oppression and put social justice at the center of our fight for a livable future. We must pressure elected leaders, corporations, the news media and others in power not only to abandon fossil fuels and other climate-destructive activities but also to address the systems of oppression that gave rise to the climate crisis in the first place.

Reactions: jerry33
Some insight into denial

One giant ... lie? Why so many people still think the moon landings were faked

One giant ... lie? Why so many people still think the moon landings were faked

Despite the extraordinary volume of evidence (including 382kg of moon rock collected across six missions; corroboration from Russia, Japan and China; and images from the Nasa Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter showing the tracks made by the astronauts in the moondust), belief in the moon-hoax conspiracy has blossomed since 1969. Among 9/11 truthers, anti-vaxxers, chemtrailers, flat-Earthers, Holocaust deniers and Sandy Hook conspiracists, the idea that the moon landings were faked isn’t even a source of anger any more – it is just a given fact.
The growing strength of the hoax theory is “one of the things that happens as time recedes and these events are lost”, laments Launius. “We’ve seen it with the second world war and the Holocaust. A lot of the witnesses are passing from the scene and it’s easy for people to deny that it took place. Who is left to counteract things that are untrue? Mythologies develop and become the dominant theme.”

We were already over 350ppm when I was born

We were already over 350ppm when I was born | Jamie Margolin

Many people trace the origins of today’s climate crisis to the Industrial Revolution, when humans first began to burn large amounts of coal, but the crisis’s true roots extend further back to the onset of colonialism. When European colonizers ventured to Africa, Asia, North and South America, they invariably plundered the local natural resources, damaged habitats, hunted species to extinction and often forced human inhabitants into slavery. Undergirding European colonialism was the assumption that everything on the earth was meant to be extracted, bought and sold – and to make an elite minority very rich. In the eyes of the colonizers, the “new” lands they encountered had no owners – no one had purchased them with a recognizable currency or could prove ownership with property records – so it was free pickings. Along with this attitude came the idea that nothing – not air, not water, not trees, not animals – was sacred or priceless.

Which is why the climate crisis demands bigger solutions than we initially thought. We need to see the climate crisis not as a stand-alone issue floating separately from everything else, but as the grand culmination of societal injustices that have been building up for centuries. We must speak truth to power, call out these systems of oppression and put social justice at the center of our fight for a livable future. We must pressure elected leaders, corporations, the news media and othersr in power not only to abandon fossil fuels and other climate-destructive activities but also to address the systems of oppression that gave rise to the climate crisis in the first place.
Unfortunately money is still the root of all evil and those in power will do anything to keep that money in their pockets. So until enough people stand up and revolt, nothing will happen and remember “The Future is Now”.

Reactions: mspohr
Vox.com: The climate change policy with the most potential is the most neglected.
The climate change policy with the most potential is the most neglected

For years, in climate circles, those calling for more R&D were pitted in an utterly unconstructive battle against those calling for more deployment of existing clean energy technologies. The “deployment crowd” accused the “innovation crowd” of fostering delay by casting unconstructive doubt on current technologies and policies.

I believe, or at least hope, that this absurd fight is behind us. The dire urgency of the climate crisis and the scale of the task ahead lay bare the obvious answer: We need both deployment and innovation. Lots more of both. We are doing nowhere near as much as we should of either one.

Emission reduction in emerging economies matters most.
Thus, “the best climate policies are those that stimulate clean energy innovation.”

Reactions: jerry33
Another climate disaster on the way

Barry is a triple threat of storm surge, high rivers and flooding as it gets closer to the Louisiana coast - CNN

"Look, there are three ways that Louisiana floods: storm surge, high rivers and rain. We're going to have all three," Gov. John Bel Edwards said Thursday in a news conference.
And you posted this in the climate change thread why? To imply this is an unusual occurrence caused by "climate change". Then how to explain a Hurricane in 1893 in the same area that killed more people than Katrina?
1893 Cheniere Caminada hurricane - Wikipedia