Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're not causing more climate change by trying to fix it.

I disagree with that premise. There are many examples of people using insignificant mitigation as a reason to continue harmful practices. There's a phycological component to AGW that cannot be ignored. In many ways it's MOSTLY phycological since it's about behavior modification. I know people that don't see the need for solar or driving an EV 'because they don't have kids' or 'because they raise grass-fed cattle'......... These are distractions.

We need to stop using fools fuel.

AND......

Reactions: EinSV
I disagree with that premise. There are many examples of people using insignificant mitigation as a reason to continue harmful practices. There's a phycological component to AGW that cannot be ignored. In many ways it's MOSTLY phycological since it's about behavior modification. I know people that don't see the need for solar or driving an EV 'because they don't have kids' or 'because they raise grass-fed cattle'......... These are distractions.

AND......

And we need to do something about the excess CO2 in the air.

Reactions: jerry33
And we need to do something about the excess CO2 in the air.

yep... stop adding more. We could cover the land and oceans in forest and cut the birth rate by 50%; It won't matter if we're still adding >30B tons/yr. On the flip side... take that ~30B tons/yr and reduce it to <5 and the problem is mostly solved.

My former conservative co-workers have kids and their take is that if it isn't going to happen in thirty years, they don't care.

I'm not talking about abject apathy. But thinking they did their part by not having kids or raising cows that supposedly sequester CO2 in the range-land. i.e. Some people get solar and drive an EV.... some people don't have kids and raise cows.... to each their own as they see it...... everyone is helping to solve the problem in their own way.... except the EV/PV bit is ACTUALLY a meaningful part of the solution.......

Last edited:
True, but I believe that is a large percentage of the problem. They will be apathetic until it affects them personally, and then it will be too late.

Point is that unintentionally creating a bypass promoting tree planting and birth control allows them to keep doing what they're doing without their cognitive dissonance calling them out for the monsters they are. Having fewer kids or planting a few trees doesn't help fight climate change if it allows people to think they're in the clear to fly to Europe twice a year and drive a H2..... Does it make any sense that people think this way? No. But the message needs to be tailored to people that don't think logically......

Last edited:
Reactions: jerry33
Point is that unintentionally creating a bypass promoting trees planting and birth control allows them to keep doing what they're doing without their cognitive dissonance calling them out for the monsters they are. Having fewer kids or planting a few trees doesn't help fight climate change if it allows people to think they're in the clear to fly to Europe twice a year and drive a H2..... Does it make any sense that people think this way? No. But the message needs to be tailored to people that don't think logically......
Yep. This is basically moral licensing, which is a real and dangerous thing.

Yep. This is basically moral licensing, which is a real and dangerous thing.

Thank you. I figured it had a name :)

We have a finite amount of 'moral capital' and we need to be cautious how it's allocated. One of my DIY projects was for a friend that has an electric water heater. Every time I see the HPWHs go on sale I ping him. He spent $10k to 'reduce' his net energy use by 16MWh/yr. Spending ~$1200 to reduce it another 3-4MWh/yr should be a no-brainer. 3 years of nagging twice a year and no dice... He's got the solar and that it. I guess it's good I didn't talk him into the HPWH first.... 16MWh/yr > 4MWh/yr.... of course a ~20MWh/yr reduction would be nice :(

Seriously?
...agree that CO2 is increasing and is caused by burning fossil fuels.
but
don't agree with that it is all caused by man

Pray tell, who else besides man digs up all those fossil fuels and burns them? Oh, of course, it's all women!

So what caused some of the huge increases in temperature in the distant past. It certainly wasn't caused my humans. Remember we are currently in an ice age. There have been times with no ice at the poles. There has also been extreme cold periods with very high levels of CO2. Changes in the sun can certainly be causing some of the global warming. In addition some of the increase in CO2 is caused by cutting down trees and the increase in temperature of the ocean.

So what caused some of the huge increases in temperature in the distant past. It certainly wasn't caused my humans. Remember we are currently in an ice age. There have been times with no ice at the poles. There has also been extreme cold periods with very high levels of CO2. Changes in the sun can certainly be causing some of the global warming. In addition some of the increase in CO2 is caused by cutting down trees and the increase in temperature of the ocean.
Different Epochs, different forcings, and then a concert of recognized feedbacks. The two singular differences now are the human component and the rate of change.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dr. J

So, in changing the subject away from the fact that you contradict yourself, you are now blaming the beavers as well as the lumberjills?

• Funny
Reactions: Dr. J

The primary forcing agent is almost always CO2. Warming today is not the sun. We checked.

How can the source of CO2 be the oceans when the level of CO2 in the oceans are also rising? Aside from that the math checks out. 35E9 tons/yr of CO2 from fools fuel burning / 5E15 tons of Atmosphere = 6ppm/yr Most of the remaining balance is going into the oceans... making it more acidic and slowing killing all our coral. So thanks for that to all the pathetic POSs still addicted to fools fuel......

Reactions: SageBrush
So now along with Trump Derangement syndrome emotionally fragile liberals are having to deal with “climate despair”:

New Claim: ‘Climate Despair’ Is Making People Give Up on Life

Lol- what a bunch of losers.
Strange. You're laughing for the wrong reasons. That's not a reliable site. You should be laughing at the idiots writing and publishing the article, not at the supposed "losers."

Search

Climate Depot - SourceWatch

Marc Morano - RationalWiki , Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow - RationalWiki

Seriously, I can't believe you believed that.

Last edited: