Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the question is where are their major efficiency losses, my suspicion is they are taking their biggest efficiency hits when cold escapes the system on liquid->high pressure air conversion and on the other side of the cycle with heat escaping during high pressure air -> liquid.

With residential air and water heating pumps many of us here have, electricity is the input and heat or cold moved from pumping/transfer is the desired product. But we really only want heat or cold for days-months at a time, but not both in that time frame. In the case of heat, we try to contain it in a very well insulated tank (water heater) then later direct it precisely onto a human in a shower when needed. Or in the case of HVAC, trap heat or cold in a (hopefully) well insulated house to make the humans comfortable. But point here is that we're only playing with heat or cold production on any given day or season.

In the cryo-energy storage system, electricity is the input and output. We want heat and cold pumped/transferred to not leave the closed system. Then we complicate matters by producing heat or cold likely within hours of each other and not asking them to leave the system nor cancel each other out, but to use them to somehow facilitate evaporation and condensing processes on the opposite ends of the cycle.

With my limited understanding, guessing the potential "magic" for this system would be to somehow efficiently transfer heat from air->liquid conversion process over to help facilitate the liquid->air conversion process then somehow move cold from the liquid->air conversion process over to help facilitate the air-> liquid conversion process.

If this feat is possible, I don't know if or how one could do both of these processes and recover greater than 50% of what is theoretical possible from losses at this step.

Maybe some with the credentials here can comment or tell me I'm off (kindly, thanks) :D.

But point here is that we're only playing with heat or cold production on any given day or season.
While waiting for someone to come along who can explain this process, I'll just mention that it is really common for people to both cool and heat their homes in the same 24 period. Such is the wonder of the thermostat. And all of us own appliances that have opposing heat wishes unrelated to the season: think fridge and hot water

Not that it matters.

An efficient system could take the heat rejected from a fridge and use it in a heat pump to heat water while the cold rejected from the hot water heat pump could help cool the fridge.
This Residential Heat Recovery Water Heaters | Free Hot Water | HotSpot Energy LLC
connects a heat pump with a hot water tank by a heat exchanger.
Sounds like you want the heat pump operating in cooling mode and the coil should be near the water tank.

Might be an interesting retro-fit for people in the right climate and adjacent devices. Practicality aside, the idea is sound.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Global heating: best and worst case scenarios less likely than thought

Global heating: best and worst case scenarios less likely than thought

Doomsayers and hopemongers alike may need to revise their climate predictions after a study that almost rules out the most optimistic forecasts for global heating while downplaying the likelihood of worst-case scenarios.

The international team of scientists involved in the research say they have narrowed the range of probable climate outcomes, which reduces the uncertainty that has long plagued public debate about this field.

The study, published in Reviews of Geophysics, shrinks that 66%-likely range of climate sensitivity to between 2.6C and 3.9C, or slightly wider if more uncertainties are included. This smaller band is still dangerously high, which means there is no room for complacency, but the most dire predictions are now considered less probable

Cost of preventing next pandemic 'equal to just 2% of Covid-19 economic damage'

The cost of preventing further pandemics over the next decade by protecting wildlife and forests would equate to just 2% of the estimated financial damage caused by Covid-19, according to a new analysis.

Two new viruses a year had spilled from their wildlife hosts into humans over the last century, the researchers said, with the growing destruction of nature meaning the risk today is higher than ever.

It was vital to crack down on the international wildlife trade and the razing of forests, they said. Both bring wildlife into contact with people and their livestock. But such efforts are currently severely underfunded, according to the experts.

How the global climate fight could be lost if Trump is re-elected

How the global climate fight could be lost if Trump is re-elected

It was a balmy June day in 2017 when Donald Trump took to the lectern in the White House Rose Garden to announce the US withdrawal from the Paris climate agreement, the only comprehensive global pact to tackle the spiraling crisis.

Todd Stern, who was the US’s chief negotiator when the deal was sealed in Paris in 2015, forced himself to watch the speech.

“I found it sickening, it was mendacious from start to finish,” said Stern. “I was furious … because here we have this really important thing and here’s this joker who doesn’t understand anything he’s talking about. It was a fraud.”

The US government in practice abandoned any concern over the climate crisis some time ago, with the Trump administration so far rolling back more than 100 environmental protections, including an Obama-era plan to curb emissions from coal-fired power plants, limits on pollution emitted from cars and trucks and even energy efficiency standards for lightbulbs. In an often chaotic presidency, Trump’s position on climate change has been unusually consistent – American fossil fuel production must be bolstered, restrictive climate regulations must be scrapped.

Reactions: ggies07 and mspohr
Carbon capture blah blah blah
Just get rid of the ICE stinkers and run transport on clean electricity
I agree.
Most carbon capture schemes are just an excuse to continue fossil fuel use.
We do have a problem in that CO2 is now above 400ppm and for most of the past few hundred thousand years (when modern life was evolving) it was below 300ppm. We not only need to stop burning fossil fuels be also need to find a way to get rid of the extra CO2 in the atmosphere. I think that a promising solution is restoring natural carbon sinks (i.e. forests, grasslands, etc.).

Reactions: SageBrush
Joe Biden’s climate bet – putting jobs first will bring historic change

Joe Biden’s climate bet – putting jobs first will bring historic change

Major environmental groups were delighted by Biden’s recent announcement of pledges, unimaginable in US politics just a few years ago, including to clean up electricity by 2035 and spend $2tn on clean energy as quickly as possible within four years.

Some campaigners remain unconvinced that he could be as aggressive as necessary with the fossil fuel industry, but his campaign believes they are on the winning path by connecting the environment with jobs.

his campaign believes they are on the winning path by connecting the environment with jobs.
It is a no brainer, and has been for going on 20 years:

Jobs
Energy dollars stay local
Energy dollars are democratized
Pollution costs are slashed
The military defense budget to defend foreign oil resources, install and prop puppet governments is slashed

It is a no brainer, and has been for going on 20 years:

Jobs
Energy dollars stay local
Energy dollars are democratized
Pollution costs are slashed
The military defense budget to defend foreign oil resources, install and prop puppet governments is slashed

The big question is: how hard and expensive it is to re-train all those soldiers to be solar panel installers / wind turbine engineers etc. ?

The big question is: how hard and expensive it is to re-train all those soldiers to be solar panel installers / wind turbine engineers etc. ?
Vastly cheaper than the cost to turn them into oil bait; and remember, the half-life of a soldier is a few scant years and then they need retraining for something useful in civilian life.

So that is not the "big" question at all.