Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Climate crisis could displace 1.2bn people by 2050, report warns

More than 1 billion people face being displaced within 30 years as the climate crisis and rapid population growth drive an increase in migration with “huge impacts” for both the developing and developed worlds, according to an analysis. The Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP), a thinktank that produces annual global terrorism and peace indexes, said 1.2 billion people lived in 31 countries that are not sufficiently resilient to withstand ecological threats

Earth barreling toward 'Hothouse' state not seen in 50 million years, epic new climate record shows | Live Science
FdHtSNVNsWUbbbUqLMbEja-1200-80.png

The zig-zagging chart (shown above) ends with a sobering peak. According to the researchers, the current pace of anthropogenic global warming far exceeds the natural climate fluctuations seen at any other point in the Cenozoic era, and has the potential to hyper-drive our planet out of a long icehouse phase into a searing hothouse state.

The future has arrived. These explosive fires are our climate change wakeup call

Like millions of people in the western United States this week, I woke up to deep red, sunless skies, layers of ash coating the streets, gardens, and cars, and the smell of burning forests, lives, homes, and dreams. Not to be too hyperbolic, but on top of the political chaos, the economic collapse, and the worst pandemic in modern times, it seemed more than a little apocalyptic.

Too much of the western United States is on fire, and many areas not suffering directly from fire are enveloped in choking, acrid smoke.

What’s different now? Human-caused climate change.

We’re reaping the consequences of more than a century of using the thin, delicate layer of atmosphere that surrounds the planet as a dumping ground for the major waste product of burning fossil fuels – carbon dioxide.

The future has arrived. These explosive fires are our climate change wakeup call

Like millions of people in the western United States this week, I woke up to deep red, sunless skies, layers of ash coating the streets, gardens, and cars, and the smell of burning forests, lives, homes, and dreams. Not to be too hyperbolic, but on top of the political chaos, the economic collapse, and the worst pandemic in modern times, it seemed more than a little apocalyptic.

Too much of the western United States is on fire, and many areas not suffering directly from fire are enveloped in choking, acrid smoke.

What’s different now? Human-caused climate change.

We’re reaping the consequences of more than a century of using the thin, delicate layer of atmosphere that surrounds the planet as a dumping ground for the major waste product of burning fossil fuels – carbon dioxide.
Thanks for the link, but I don’t need to read about it, I’m experiencing it first hand.:(:mad::mad::( I’m using my P100 mask that I bought after the massive smoke in 2017. At the time, I expected the future to get worse, but an AQI of 999 in some areas is beyond expectations. Now I wish that I had bought a 3M PAPR system because my eyes were getting filled with blowing dust and smoke.

Thanks for the link, but I don’t need to read about it, I’m experiencing it first hand.:(:mad::mad::( I’m using my P100 mask that I bought after the massive smoke in 2017. At the time, I expected the future to get worse, but an AQI of 999 in some areas is beyond expectations. Now I wish that I had bought a 3M PAPR system because my eyes were getting filled with blowing dust and smoke.
It's the PM 2.5 levels that are most damaging to your lungs since they are small enough to get deep into lungs. Of course these are high most places in the West now.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
It's like you live on diesel Lorry lane.

It's the PM 2.5 levels that are most damaging to your lungs since they are small enough to get deep into lungs. Of course these are high most places in the West now.
Not much better, unfortunately. PM2.5 is now 265 and PM10 is 496. We had the winds blow everything from eastern WA/OR to western, but now it’s coming back at us. On a positive note, it has helped me locate lots of air leaks in this old 1960s house.:(

Drought, plague, fire: the apocalypse feels nigh. Yet we have tools to stop it | Art Cullen

Along about the 1980s a prophet named Dr James Hansen emerged from the Boyer River Valley near Denison to deliver a truth to the world from Nasa’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies at Columbia University: the climate is warming because of human activity, and it is time to reverse course. He was treated as a heretic for many years. But everything he saw has been realized.

His disciples divined through science and reported last spring that the south-west and Great Plains are entering a multi-decade drought worse than any recorded. Smoke is a foretaste of more to come, no doubt. So many fled for the Golden State from the likes of Iowa that it grew metropolises throbbing with heat and feeding the fire from sheer population and everything it brings – concrete, encroachment on old woodlands, air conditioners and cars.

I think Msgr Ivis told us that God gave us a brain and we should use it. I know my mother did. I think that is the choice we’re asked to make.

Perhaps contemplating the end of it all from the smoke cloud over San Francisco will shock us into the actions that, in retrospect, will prove fairly easy and fortunate for everyone. These aren’t the end times, but you can see them from here unless we do something other than pray

How Climate Migration Will Reshape America How Climate Migration Will Reshape America

Then what? One influential 2018 study, published in The Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, suggests that one in 12 Americans in the Southern half of the country will move toward California, the Mountain West or the Northwest over the next 45 years because of climate influences alone.

There are signs that the message is breaking through. Half of Americans now rank climate as a top political priority, up from roughly one-third in 2016, and three out of four now describe climate change as either “a crisis” or “a major problem.” This year, Democratic caucusgoers in Iowa, where tens of thousands of acres of farmland flooded in 2019, ranked climate second only to health care as an issue. A poll by researchers at Yale and George Mason Universities found that even Republicans’ views are shifting: One in three now think climate change should be declared a national emergency.

....snip.... One influential 2018 study, published in The Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, suggests that one in 12 Americans in the Southern half of the country will move toward California, the Mountain West or the Northwest over the next 45 years because of climate influences alone.
Given our annual fires, smoke, and nearly annual droughts, those folks are in for an unpleasant and life-threatening surprise. Building codes need to reflect the current and future climate with all of the drought, fires, smoke, electrical outages. Buildings need to be fireproof (concrete, brick, steel roof, no unprotected air infiltration or pathway for embers to be pulled into air vents), robust electrical with greater than net zero PV and battery backup, in house HEPA HVAC with the ability to completely close off outside air, on-site water storage with house and property sprinklers. All this is doable. Another big recommendation would be requiring 100 ft cleared area around the structures, which is nearly impossible in the development culture of “stuff in as many houses as possible.”

And that will help with affordable housing?
"Doable"?
Climate impact of that new house?
How about not building in fire prone areas?
Clear cutting the forest for every house - great idea! More deforestation!
Building with density allows simpler, less impactful infrastructure. It also allows people to travel less distance. And build less roads. And on and on.
Rich people living in the woods in fortresses doesn't fix anything except for the rich person.

Reactions: dhrivnak