Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Four in 10 young people fear having children due to climate crisis

Nearly six in 10 young people, aged 16 to 25, were very or extremely worried about climate change, according to the biggest scientific study yet on climate anxiety and young people, published on Tuesday. A similar number said governments were not protecting them, the planet, or future generations, and felt betrayed by the older generation and governments. Three-quarters agreed with the statement “the future is frightening”, and more than half felt they would have fewer opportunities than their parents. Nearly half reported feeling distressed or anxious about the climate in a way that was affecting their daily lives and functioning.

River Tamar allowed to flood farmland to help wildlife and climate

But the project to allow river water from the Tamar, the iconic boundary between Devon and Cornwall, back on to a chunk of land that was turned into farmland in Victorian times, is about much more than attracting wildlife. As well as being good for flora and fauna, the rich marshy land that is being created will lock in carbon, help clean the river by trapping sediment and alleviate flooding when storms sweep in from the Atlantic.

Hurricane Nicholas came right across the Greater Houston area yesterday. Thanking my lucky stars it weakened before it made its way across. At my new home in Katy, got some twigs and leaves in my yard and that’s it. Did not get that much rain either. I’m really happy about that because a bayou is nearby.

Separate story - got my 240V outlet installed. The electrician I used is the same one who installed my outlet 6 years ago in my previous home. I could not remember his name and did an Internet search for electricians hoping I could recognize his name and company. He is an immigrant from Senegal, and he did a great job for a reasonable price last time. No luck. While I was unpacking boxes looking for something else, lo and behold his business card popped out, and I didn’t even know I had his card! It was almost like a cosmic event. I called him, he gave me an estimate, and he came out in a few days and installed the outlet, including a hook to hang my charge cable on. I think little oddball things like that are something to appreciate in life. After Nicholas weakened after landfall, that was just yet another thing to be grateful for.

Hurricane Nicholas came right across the Greater Houston area yesterday. Thanking my lucky stars it weakened before it made its way across. At my new home in Katy, got some twigs and leaves in my yard and that’s it. Did not get that much rain either. I’m really happy about that because a bayou is nearby.

Separate story - got my 240V outlet installed. The electrician I used is the same one who installed my outlet 6 years ago in my previous home. I could not remember his name and did an Internet search for electricians hoping I could recognize his name and company. He is an immigrant from Senegal, and he did a great job for a reasonable price last time. No luck. While I was unpacking boxes looking for something else, lo and behold his business card popped out, and I didn’t even know I had his card! It was almost like a cosmic event. I called him, he gave me an estimate, and he came out in a few days and installed the outlet, including a hook to hang my charge cable on. I think little oddball things like that are something to appreciate in life. After Nicholas weakened after landfall, that was just yet another thing to be grateful for.
I used to live in Katy, Mason creek was behind our house.

Can you pass me your guys contact? Will give him a call. How much?

Yes, good thing Nicolas was not another Allison (the first named TS to be retired in 2001).

I used to live in Katy, Mason creek was behind our house.

Can you pass me your guys contact? Will give him a call. How much?

Yes, good thing Nicolas was not another Allison (the first named TS to be retired in 2001).
I suppose he won’t mind the advertising of his services in the TMC. Chams Electrical Services - electrician’s name is Cheikh (pronounced Shek). Goggle search Chams and it comes right up. I don’t think I should post phone numbers and email addresses in a public forum. Let it suffice to say it was well less than 1K for 35 feet away from the breaker box. Installing a hook for the charge cable is a nice touch. He told me 95% of his work is installing 240V outlets for BEVs - mainly Teslas.

• Helpful
Reactions: MontyFloyd
Exxon helped cause the climate crisis. It’s time they owned up | Mark Hertsgaard

Fossil fuel companies bear as much responsibility as governments do for humanity’s climate predicament – and for finding a way out. Our planetary house is on fire, and these companies have literally supplied the fuel. Worse, they lied about it for decades to blunt public awareness and policy reform. There’s no better time for ExxonMobil and other petroleum giants to be held accountable than at the Cop26 climate summit in Glasgow in November. The Glasgow summit is more than just another international meeting. It is the last chance for world leaders to limit future temperature rise to an amount that civilization can survive. Doing so, scientists say, will require a rapid, global decline in oil, gas and coal burning.

Production of forever chemicals emits potent greenhouse gases, analysis finds

A new analysis of Environmental Protection Agency data has revealed that PFAS chemicals – often known as “forever chemicals” due to their longevity in the environment – are contributing to the climate crisis as their production involves the emission of potent greenhouse gases.

This is a sad-but-clear example of how toxic chemicals and climate change are connected: manufacturing PFAS chemicals not only pollutes people and the environment, but releases potent greenhouse gases, adding to the climate crisis,” said Erika Schreder, co-author of the report and science director for Toxic-Free Future.

PFAS are also applied to a wide range of consumer products, from cosmetics to clothing to nonstick cookware. Though they make effective barriers, they are also linked to serious health problems like cancer, kidney and liver disease, birth defects, reduced immunity and more. Several states have banned their use in food packaging, and legislation to do the same will soon be introduced in Congress.

What are you talking about? The big major oil companies are all in renewable energy and the climate change agenda. The demand for oil and natural gas is so high worldwide, it is impossible for them to just shut it off. Can you imagine the chaos that would cause if they did? I can’t help but notice how some environmental activists have this craving for a whipping boy. It is so much easier to create a villain, castigate them, and blame them for the problems caused by the millions of us who pump gasoline into our tanks.
Exxon and BP called to testify on climate after ‘troubling’ new documents

US congressional investigators say they have uncovered “very concerning” new documents about ExxonMobil’s disinformation campaign to discredit climate science.

The letter to Darren Woods, Exxon’s chief executive, said the “fossil fuel industry has reaped massive profits” while devastating communities, ravaging the natural world and costing taxpayers billions of dollars. “We are also concerned that to protect those profits, the industry has reportedly led a coordinated effort to spread disinformation to mislead the public and prevent crucial action to address climate change,” the letter said. The hearings follow a secret recording of an Exxon lobbyist earlier this year describing the oil giant’s backing for a carbon tax as a public relations ploy intended to stall more serious measures to combat the climate crisis.

WHO slashes guideline limits on air pollution from fossil fuels

Scientists stressed that even the new limits should not be considered safe, as there appears to be no level at which pollutants stop causing damage. They said reducing pollution would boost health even in nations with relatively clean air. A 2019 review concluded that air pollution may be damaging every organ in the body, causing heart and lung disease, diabetes and dementia and reducing intelligence.

• Informative
Reactions: MontyFloyd
WHO slashes guideline limits on air pollution from fossil fuels

Scientists stressed that even the new limits should not be considered safe, as there appears to be no level at which pollutants stop causing damage. They said reducing pollution would boost health even in nations with relatively clean air. A 2019 review concluded that air pollution may be damaging every organ in the body, causing heart and lung disease, diabetes and dementia and reducing intelligence.
What I read: "Radiation from nuclear bombs and nuclear disasters are no long a cause for concern".

Pollutionwatch: the fight to protect children from dirty air

Rather than relying on court cases, is it time for a right to clean air? In March this year the UN called for the global recognition of the right to a healthy environment, which would include air quality. This right is already recognised by 80% of UN members, but the UK and US are not among them. In November the people of New York will vote on the inclusion of environmental rights in their state constitution. Such rights could guide legalisation and lead to better decisions to prevent pollution and importantly protect vulnerable groups, including children.

Interesting long interview with Greta Thunberg

Thunberg says she has met like-minded people – in every way. “In the Fridays for Future movement, so many people are like me. Many have autism, and they are very inclusive and welcoming.” She believes the reason that so many autistic people have become climate activists is because they cannot avert their gaze – they have a compulsion to tell the truth as they see it. “I know lots of people who have been depressed, and then they have joined the climate movement or Fridays for Future and have found a purpose in life and found friendship and a community that they are welcome in.” So the best thing that has come out of your activism has been friendship? “Yes,” she says. And now there is no mistaking her smile. “Definitely. I am very happy now.”

Vast area of Scottish Highlands to be rewilded in ambitious 30-year project

The Affric Highlands initiative aims to increase connected habitats and species diversity over an area of 200,000 hectares (500,000 acres), incorporating Kintail mountain range, and glens Cannich, Moriston and Shiel. Plans include planting trees, enhancing river corridors, restoring peat bogs and creating nature-friendly farming practices.

Reactions: ohmman
Cop26 climate talks will not fulfil aims of Paris agreement, key players say

The UN, the UK hosts and other major figures involved in the talks have privately admitted that the original aim of the Cop26 summit will be missed, as the pledges on greenhouse gas emissions cuts from major economies will fall short of the halving of global emissions this decade needed to limit global heating to 1.5C.

Cop26 climate talks will not fulfil aims of Paris agreement, key players say

The UN, the UK hosts and other major figures involved in the talks have privately admitted that the original aim of the Cop26 summit will be missed, as the pledges on greenhouse gas emissions cuts from major economies will fall short of the halving of global emissions this decade needed to limit global heating to 1.5C.
Fuuuuuuck. What a time be alive in your 60s and 70s.....don't have to deal with the future problems.

Banks and companies in the eurozone risk economic loss and financial instability, the central bank said Wednesday as it published the results of its first economywide climate stress test, part of a major effort by policymakers to support the transition to a net-zero carbon world.

By the end of the century, more frequent and severe natural disasters could shrink the region’s economy by 10 percent if no new policies to mitigate climate change are introduced, the report said. By comparison, the costs of transition would be no more than 2 percent of gross domestic product.