Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New data reveals extraordinary global heating in the Arctic

New data has revealed extraordinary rates of global heating in the Arctic, up to seven times faster than the global average. The heating is occurring in the North Barents Sea, a region where fast rising temperatures are suspected to trigger increases in extreme weather in North America, Europe and Asia. The researchers said the heating in this region was an “early warning” of what could happen across the rest of the Arctic.

fingers were pointed everywhere. there is no definitive answer that was given to the public. all we have are culprits, as defined by Media with agendas.
It's an impossibility of physics in that case for wind, (which could have been at most around 20% of potential grid capability), to have caused what happened. It was the majority of power generation failing, i.e. NG and coal, that caused it.

At power plants across the state, this 350-page report concluded cold-weather preps were "either inadequate or not adequately followed.”
Fast forward to present day, and little has changed.
“This was a failure from the get go,” UH Energy Professor Ed Hirs said. "It's exactly what happened in 2011, the summertime generators were not available to come online. They haven't been winterized. They haven't been in hot oil. They haven't had antifreeze.”

Most of the power generation that went offline in the February freeze and in June came from thermal sources, said Kay McCall, executive director of the Renewable Energy Alliance of Houston.

Al Gore gave it a legitimate foundation, it grew legs on extrapolations, now it's dogma.
Call it heresy.
I always love it when climate “skeptics” pull the Al Gore card. Apparently you folks think because Al Gore spoke, or bought a house or flew in an airplane that the basic physics of heat transfer no longer function and carbon reduction solutions can’t work because markets don’t function.

Totally rational positions.

Is Al Gore a wizard @tangible1 ? Is that why you have faith that nothing needs to be done about climate change?

I always love it when climate “skeptics” pull the Al Gore card. Apparently you folks think because Al Gore spoke, or bought a house or flew in an airplane that the basic physics of heat transfer no longer function and carbon reduction solutions can’t work because markets don’t function.

Totally rational positions.

Is Al Gore a wizard @tangible1 ? Is that why you have faith that nothing needs to be done about climate change?
I have faith that humans will adapt.
We fon't need the hyperbole, virtue signalling and shaming.

Reactions: patmurphey
I have faith that humans will adapt.
We fon't need the hyperbole, virtue signalling and shaming.
How do you think we adapt?

Since you don’t seem to have a background in how large scale engineering/design/ infrastructure projects occur let me fill you in.

The first thing is to estimate or model the issue that requires you to do the project in the first place. An example, DOT comes out and measures the traffic at an intersection and they model the expected increase in traffic flow for some time period. They then design an new intersection that can handle the expected increase but also meets their budget and schedule.

You say we will adapt. To adapt we have to know: adapting to what. Basic physics tells us if we burn all the known stores of fossil fuels we decrease the amount of heat leaving the earth by a certain amount which in turn requires global temperatures to increase until outgoing radiation equals incoming radiation. This is basic thermodynamics.

The temperatures the planet will reach will accelerate the melt of land based glaciers in Greenland and Antarctica increasing sea level rise. Thermal expansion of water will also contribute.

650M people live within 10m vertical rise of sea level along with every port city in the world. Sea level rise will require adaption by all of them. $$$$

All of our cities and more importantly farms were placed based on the temperatures and climate of the last 150 years. Global agriculture will have to adapt. More $$$$

That above is what we have to adapt to if we go about business as usual. It’s also what you call hyperbole.

Instead of going with business as usual and trying to adapt to the worst case. We can spend a lot less $$$$ and lives by adapting now and moving to eliminate carbon based fuels. Some warming is already baked in but it will require much less adaption if we reduce and stop the increase in the next few decades.

Quite frankly I see no reason why we can’t bootstrap ourselves from fossil fuels to a carbon neutral future while still increasing global quality of living and reducing poverty. But only if we accept what’s plainly happening and stop having “faith” it will magically be handled.

My excuse is the climate issue is exaggerated.
Yes, climate is changing, but not as fast and not as extremely as promoted. It's weather, and it changes...but it's now excuse for....anything.
I would note that virtually all 'climate scientists' are employed or paid via government.
Just as tobacco companies employed researchers to greenwash their products, scientists know who pays the bills and what is expected.
I'm afraid Al Gore has successfully saddled us with a wealth and power transfer only government can enjoy.

A more rational mix of nuclear, fossil, and green energies are where we need to get. You cannot just turn off one for another.
I'm not into the religious aspects of the environmental fervor, nor the excesses of treating sciences as religion.
Not to say he's not right, but Elon Musk is not a messiah.
You have it completely backwards bringing up tobacco companies.
That's the exact method and even the same companies used by climate change deniers -- the ones you believe.

For more details, see the film Merchants of Doubt
The Heartland Institute is a Chicago-based free market think tank and 501(c)(3) charity that has been at the forefront of denying the scientific evidence for man-made climate change. The Heartland Institute has received at least $676,500 from ExxonMobil since 1998 but no longer discloses its funding sources. The Union of Concerned Scientists found that “Nearly 40% of the total funds that the Heartland Institute has received from ExxonMobil since 1998 were specifically designated for climate change projects.”
In the 1990s, the Heartland Institute worked with the tobacco company Philip Morris to question the science linking second-hand smoke to health risks, and lobbied against government public health reforms. Heartland continues to maintain a “Smoker's Lounge” section of their website which brings together their policy studies, Op-Eds, essays, and other documents that purport to “[cut] through the propaganda and exaggeration of anti-smoking groups.”

You have it completely backwards bringing up tobacco companies.
That's the exact method and even the same companies used by climate change deniers -- the ones you believe.

For more details, see the film Merchants of Doubt
More like exactly what's going on, from BOTH sides of the coin.
Don;'t think for one minute that your preferred sources are angels either.
Let it go.

How do you think we adapt?

Since you don’t seem to have a background in how large scale engineering/design/ infrastructure projects occur let me fill you in.

The first thing is to estimate or model the issue that requires you to do the project in the first place. An example, DOT comes out and measures the traffic at an intersection and they model the expected increase in traffic flow for some time period. They then design an new intersection that can handle the expected increase but also meets their budget and schedule.

You say we will adapt. To adapt we have to know: adapting to what. Basic physics tells us if we burn all the known stores of fossil fuels we decrease the amount of heat leaving the earth by a certain amount which in turn requires global temperatures to increase until outgoing radiation equals incoming radiation. This is basic thermodynamics.

The temperatures the planet will reach will accelerate the melt of land based glaciers in Greenland and Antarctica increasing sea level rise. Thermal expansion of water will also contribute.

650M people live within 10m vertical rise of sea level along with every port city in the world. Sea level rise will require adaption by all of them. $$$$

All of our cities and more importantly farms were placed based on the temperatures and climate of the last 150 years. Global agriculture will have to adapt. More $$$$

That above is what we have to adapt to if we go about business as usual. It’s also what you call hyperbole.

Instead of going with business as usual and trying to adapt to the worst case. We can spend a lot less $$$$ and lives by adapting now and moving to eliminate carbon based fuels. Some warming is already baked in but it will require much less adaption if we reduce and stop the increase in the next few decades.

Quite frankly I see no reason why we can’t bootstrap ourselves from fossil fuels to a carbon neutral future while still increasing global quality of living and reducing poverty. But only if we accept what’s plainly happening and stop having “faith” it will magically be handled.
Sorry to put you out.
No sale. You're captive to the construct without direct experience of the problem.

30 years ago the researchers at Salk Institue of Oceanography were in my orbit.
They were tracking CO2 rise even before then. But they struggled to find cause/effect and direct links to actual issues.
Still the case.

Fast forward to today, and climate change is now the preferred phrase for Media to describe any weather event, trivial or major.

Yes, things are changing, but that's not under our direct control. It's the height of conceit to believe otherwise; science as religion doesn't wash.
That doesn't mean we shouldn't seek to understand root causes, or attempt to mitigate what we can. But we are not in an existential situation.
The emotional rhetoric and shaming put forth by the 'faithful' is just a bit over the top.