Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Worrisome...

More:

They're projecting this to be the largest eruption the Earth has seen in the past ~3 BILLION years??!?!?!

A typical large eruption only emits ~50M tons of CO2. Our pathetic addiction to fools fuel adds ~30 BILLION tons every year. >40x more than all volcanic activity combined. Volcanoes generally cause COOLING since they add a lot of SO2. The SO2 easily overpowers the relatively tiny amount of CO2 they emit.

When you realize that volcanism contributes 645 million tons of CO2 per year – and it becomes clearer if you write it as 0.645 billion tons of CO2 per year – compared to humanity's 29 billion tons per year, it's overwhelmingly clear what's caused the carbon dioxide increase in Earth's atmosphere since 1750.

Year Without a Summer

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
They're projecting this to be the largest eruption the Earth has seen in the past ~3 BILLION years??!?!?!

A typical large eruption only emits ~50M tons of CO2. Our pathetic addiction to fools fuel adds ~30 BILLION tons every year. >40x more than all volcanic activity combined. Volcanoes generally cause COOLING since they add a lot of SO2. The SO2 easily overpowers the relatively tiny amount of CO2 they emit.

When you realize that volcanism contributes 645 million tons of CO2 per year – and it becomes clearer if you write it as 0.645 billion tons of CO2 per year – compared to humanity's 29 billion tons per year, it's overwhelmingly clear what's caused the carbon dioxide increase in Earth's atmosphere since 1750.

Year Without a Summer

Because of the vastness of this matter a carbon capture technology would be required for cases like this.
We have a lot of work to do to save the Earth!

Assume = ass + u + me

Also:

What's being 'assumed'? Using fools fuel emits >40x more CO2/yr than volcanism. That's just math.

I get the sense, from your post as I don't know you personally, that you're aiming to distract and discredit a news event reported onto this forum by me by bringing in hyperbole. I may be wrong, but that's my interpretation.

I get the sense, from your post as I don't know you personally, that you're aiming to distract and discredit a news event reported onto this forum by me by bringing in hyperbole. I may be wrong, but that's my interpretation.

The only hyperbole is the concept that a single volcano can 'dump more Carbon Dioxide into the atmosphere than all humans put together.' When the totality of ALL volcanoes on the planet is ~0.6B tons/yr vs ~30B tons from burning fools fuel.

Do the Earth's volcanoes emit more CO2 than human activities? No.

But in the post above it was said that The Fagradalsfjall Volcano eruption will dump in the atmosphere more CO2 than all humans put together.......don't understand.

.... because it's nonsense...

Thanks folks. Can we get back to the volcano eruption that's about to happen and talk about that instead of a single misrepresented data point in one article, of many now, on this particular event?

Last edited:

The Climate Change issue hit also us in Italy lately. Since the Climate Change issue is a Global issue this was expected to happen.
That's why I wish that also Italian politicians will take unprecedented actions to fight the Climate Change issue as President Biden did.

Report this tweet by NOAA to point out the fact that the Climate Change issue can affect the strength of storms.

Last edited:
Reactions: mspohr
As I said Hurricane Otis got strength 5, the highest Hurricanes strength, and hit Acapulco.
When you see the videos reported by betstarship you understand why the US Department of Defense considers the Climate Change/Global Warming issue a threat bigger than terrorism.

Hurricane Otis got strength 5 (maximum strength) starting from tropical storm in only 12 hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz and mspohr

Restoring global forests where they occur naturally could potentially capture an additional 226 gigatons of planet-warming carbon, equivalent to about a third of the amount that humans have released since the beginning of the Industrial Era, according to a new study published on Monday in the journal Nature. The research, with input from more than 200 authors, leveraged vast troves of data collected by satellites and on the ground and was partly an effort to address the controversy surrounding an earlier paper. That study, in 2019, helped to spur the Trillion Trees movement but also caused a scientific uproar. The new conclusions were similar to those in a separate study published last year. Mainly, the extra storage capacity would come from allowing existing forests to recover to maturity.

The 226 gigatons of storage cannot be achieved without cutting greenhouse gas emissions, said Thomas Crowther, the study’s senior author and a professor of ecology at ETH Zurich, a university in Switzerland. “If we continue emitting carbon, as we’ve done to date, then droughts and fires and other extreme events will continue to threaten the scale of the global forest system, further limiting its potential to contribute.” Forests are essential to tackling both the climate and biodiversity crises. They offer food, shelter and shade to humans and countless other species. They clean our air and water. And they pull climate-warming carbon out of the atmosphere. As the climate crisis intensifies, that ability has made them controversial: How much can we rely on trees to get us out of this mess?