Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uruguay should be an example, but because of small population and constantly robust tourism and exports to Brazil and Argentina they have much greater flexibility than do the larger neighbors. Sadly Brazil has very limited use of renewables in large part because the notion of utility level storage is almost never discussed, and the utilities and Oil companies, led by Petrobras, push for increased exploration while the President and his supporters are in love with ethanol, the darling fo the agricultural interests.

Still, Chile is making serious moves and Brazil is now being influenced by Chinese BEV makers factory plans and both wind and solar investments. Brazil, though, is phasing out incentives for BEVs. At least Amazon deforestation has nearly stopped in Brazil.

As we discuss the catastrophes happening climatically we seem to forget water. The Amazon is at its lowest level and even navigation to Manaus is impeded and riverine transportation throughout the Amazon is suffering. Since the Amazon is fed almost entirely from Andean glaciers, and those are rapidly melting the entire world is on the verge of losing much of the >20% of global fresh liquid water is that system.

Discussing Greenland, the loss of permafrost in the North and the diminution of the Aral sea and other large lakes is of huge importance. The Southern Hemisphere feeds the Atlantic current and much else, and from nearly all parts of the Southern hemisphere extreme and unprecedentedly severe weather including floods and droughts are at least as consequential for the planet as those of the Northern Hemisphere.

Applauding the baby steps, like the rapid growth of manufacturing and deploying electric busses (Santiago de Chile the largest such fleet outside of China), Uruguay grid support etc is a good thing.

In the meantime mining and deep water oil extraction are absorbing high investments, including from Equinox, which remains the source of Norwegian prosperity, but just signed to develop new off shore oil, almost 200 miles off Rio de Janeiro.

As an EV driving, Carioca who's building an off-grid house, I know I'm an outlier. Even so, positive changes are happening, just slower than are the disasters. I desperately want to be positive, but I'm not optimistic.
Perhaps I'm not more optimistic because even my nephew, who received a large TSLA-funded gift from me, still insists there is no such thing as global warming.
Several times infernal Spellcheck changed Equinor to something other than Norway‘s majority State-owned oil company. I just noticed that:

Reactions: Raffy.Roma
Several times infernal Spellcheck changed Equinor to something other than Norway‘s majority State-owned oil company. I just noticed that:
This is good. We cannot work out the Climate Change issue only with good will. We need an industrial plan to achieve NET ZERO.

Climate change is making areas around the world more dangerous to live in, or in some cases uninhabitable. The ocean is no exception to climate change's effects. In 2023, oceans hit record-high temperatures that threatened marine life and brought devastation to many coral reefs. The warmer waters have also led to more and stronger hurricanes and storms forming and wreaking havoc on coastal regions.
Now, scientists have also discovered that climate change is making waves, literally. That's right: Waves are becoming larger and stronger, which could cause even more damage to coasts and potentially worsen existing storms.
Why worry about sea level rise in the future when we have 30 ft waves crashing through towns today in California .

This, from two weeks ago, summarizes the climactic catastrophes now existing in the Amazon River and it’s sources:
This was totally expected, the reality known years ago. From 2021:

Almost all the attention has been on the horrendous impact from Arctic warming. Much less on the Southern Hemisphere, although Antarctica ice shelves have had recent attention. Much less has been on terrestrial ills from Andean glacier melt, recent appearances of cyclonic winds in areas that have not seen them in recorded history (notably Soutern Brazil, (e.g.Stetes likeSanta Catarina, Paraná ).

Anther dramatic major trend is almost universally ignored, although dry technical papers abound:

The Pantanal probably is the world’s largest wetlands. Think Florida’s Everglades but 20 times larger:

The Amazon basin alone accounts for ~20% of the world’s flowing fresh water. Even more importantly the Amazon basin evaporation creates cloud systems that spread that water around the world. (there are many climatological references on thst subject, I won’t link them).
Personally the most dramatic demonstration came among thirty years ago when I was flying myself at 41,000 feet across the Amazon in clear visibility, above high clouds blanketing below and under clouds blanketing the sky above. Those situations are diminishing now, as many of Amazon sources are themselves shrinking.

As we consider both north and south polar regions are losing ice, major deserts are growing fomenting catastrophic conditions in much of Africa, the Aral Sea and Great Salt Lake are disappearing. That scene is repeated globally. When rain does come it often creates major floods, in large part because the flood plains are parched and/or bearing population centers of humans.

Then relAlize Djakarta is sinking rapidly because of unchecked extraction of groundwater. Realize the Plant earth is actually altering rotation because of changing planetary balance!

Today I reflect all this with sadness and dismay. I want to be optimistic. Last night my spouse and I reflected that we are glad we probably will not be here for worse to come. Frankly, we desperately hope there are enough young vibrant people to dislodge the geriatrics running most major countries and treat all this as the primary threat to human survival that it is.

Mars cannot be the solution. Helpful, maybe.

This, from two weeks ago, summarizes the climactic catastrophes now existing in the Amazon River and it’s sources:
This was totally expected, the reality known years ago. From 2021:

Almost all the attention has been on the horrendous impact from Arctic warming. Much less on the Southern Hemisphere, although Antarctica ice shelves have had recent attention. Much less has been on terrestrial ills from Andean glacier melt, recent appearances of cyclonic winds in areas that have not seen them in recorded history (notably Soutern Brazil, (e.g.Stetes likeSanta Catarina, Paraná ).

Anther dramatic major trend is almost universally ignored, although dry technical papers abound:

The Pantanal probably is the world’s largest wetlands. Think Florida’s Everglades but 20 times larger:

The Amazon basin alone accounts for ~20% of the world’s flowing fresh water. Even more importantly the Amazon basin evaporation creates cloud systems that spread that water around the world. (there are many climatological references on thst subject, I won’t link them).
Personally the most dramatic demonstration came among thirty years ago when I was flying myself at 41,000 feet across the Amazon in clear visibility, above high clouds blanketing below and under clouds blanketing the sky above. Those situations are diminishing now, as many of Amazon sources are themselves shrinking.

As we consider both north and south polar regions are losing ice, major deserts are growing fomenting catastrophic conditions in much of Africa, the Aral Sea and Great Salt Lake are disappearing. That scene is repeated globally. When rain does come it often creates major floods, in large part because the flood plains are parched and/or bearing population centers of humans.

Then relAlize Djakarta is sinking rapidly because of unchecked extraction of groundwater. Realize the Plant earth is actually altering rotation because of changing planetary balance!

Today I reflect all this with sadness and dismay. I want to be optimistic. Last night my spouse and I reflected that we are glad we probably will not be here for worse to come. Frankly, we desperately hope there are enough young vibrant people to dislodge the geriatrics running most major countries and treat all this as the primary threat to human survival that it is.

Mars cannot be the solution. Helpful, maybe.
Agree. The Climate Change issue is a real threat to mankind and has to be handled as such IMO.
That's why I think that, in case the Global Temperature Deviation will overtake the threshold of 1.5 degrees Celsius set by the Agreement of Paris, the UN Security Council should be summoned immediately to discuss the situation of the Climate Change issue.

Reactions: DrGriz and unk45
Agree. The Climate Change issue is a real threat to mankind and has to be handled as such IMO.
That's why I think that, in case the Global Temperature Deviation will overtake the threshold of 1.5 degrees Celsius set by the Agreement of Paris, the UN Security Council should be summoned immediately to discuss the situation of the Climate Change issue.
Do any of us really think the UN can do anything fundamental? If we cannot get agreement from China, US, Russia,Japan, South Korea, Brazil, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Canada and the EU how will real change be effected.
Of course, Venezuela, Peru, Guiana and Bolivia all have to cooperate to protect the Amazon. Then there all the rest of the nations helping destroy the Mekong...and the list goes on.

As I see it the only thing that might actually make change really happen would be for the recently expanded BRICs to take the lead. Were that to happen the UN opposition to major change would largely evaporate. Even self-interested opponents to BRIC interests might be shamed into rapid action. Without a doubt that is unlikely.

However, China may be changing without huge fanfare. Their list of climate disasters is very long, including the Himalayan warming, major river drying followed by huge flooding (e.g. Yangtze/Poyang Lake). They've managed around so many such problems that even the geriatrics are being pressured. Those are definitely not enough but.. From National Grid to BYD, SAIC, CATL, and even Geely but maybe more so:
and...
and then:
I quote Wikipedia on Tesla Shanghai simply because China, more than any other country, has helped Tesla with it's growth ambitions, not least because all those companies above end out with quite compatible efforts.

In this thread we are not focusing on companies but on the planet Earth and its climate itself. It seems to em that if there si real hope i 2024 and beyond it really must come from enlightened commercial interests, so ends out with initiatives from BRICS'

It is the BRICS that have Himalayas and Andes, the Amazon and Yangtze, the largest expanse of Northern tundra and permafrost, not to mention coal use, fossil fuel production and much more.
So, is not our best hope for China taking the lead?

Perhaps I'm too jaundiced and modest hopeful because almost no NA or EU investment happens in these arenas where i live. National Grid is rehabilitating part fo Brazil grids, BYD makes solar panels, batteries, EV busses and now EV cars in Brazil, while Chery, JAC and Huawei among many others are spreading the adoption of renewables in countries not approached by any US or EU competitors. Even the Norwegians are pursuing fossil fuel, NOT renewables.
All this makes me wonder if we're perhaps thinking too much from a traditional first world perspective, and maybe, just maybe, global hope lies with others.

This is January 1 speculation, of course. OTOH I am now getting bids for my new off-grid house in Rio de Janeiro. All but one prospective suppliers for solar panels, inverters, batteries etc are Chinese origin. The exception is Fronius, an Austrian company.

Is any other country doing more to advance the cause. of course they also have passed the US as the #1 polluter. That, though, is now crystal clear to even the ancients in China.

FWIW, I hope the implied future I describe does not happen this way. It implies more than a little Orwellian potential.

Do any of us really think the UN can do anything fundamental? If we cannot get agreement from China, US, Russia,Japan, South Korea, Brazil, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Canada and the EU how will real change be effected.
Of course, Venezuela, Peru, Guiana and Bolivia all have to cooperate to protect the Amazon. Then there all the rest of the nations helping destroy the Mekong...and the list goes on.

As I see it the only thing that might actually make change really happen would be for the recently expanded BRICs to take the lead. Were that to happen the UN opposition to major change would largely evaporate. Even self-interested opponents to BRIC interests might be shamed into rapid action. Without a doubt that is unlikely.

However, China may be changing without huge fanfare. Their list of climate disasters is very long, including the Himalayan warming, major river drying followed by huge flooding (e.g. Yangtze/Poyang Lake). They've managed around so many such problems that even the geriatrics are being pressured. Those are definitely not enough but.. From National Grid to BYD, SAIC, CATL, and even Geely but maybe more so:
and...
and then:
I quote Wikipedia on Tesla Shanghai simply because China, more than any other country, has helped Tesla with it's growth ambitions, not least because all those companies above end out with quite compatible efforts.

In this thread we are not focusing on companies but on the planet Earth and its climate itself. It seems to em that if there si real hope i 2024 and beyond it really must come from enlightened commercial interests, so ends out with initiatives from BRICS'

It is the BRICS that have Himalayas and Andes, the Amazon and Yangtze, the largest expanse of Northern tundra and permafrost, not to mention coal use, fossil fuel production and much more.
So, is not our best hope for China taking the lead?

Perhaps I'm too jaundiced and modest hopeful because almost no NA or EU investment happens in these arenas where i live. National Grid is rehabilitating part fo Brazil grids, BYD makes solar panels, batteries, EV busses and now EV cars in Brazil, while Chery, JAC and Huawei among many others are spreading the adoption of renewables in countries not approached by any US or EU competitors. Even the Norwegians are pursuing fossil fuel, NOT renewables.
All this makes me wonder if we're perhaps thinking too much from a traditional first world perspective, and maybe, just maybe, global hope lies with others.

This is January 1 speculation, of course. OTOH I am now getting bids for my new off-grid house in Rio de Janeiro. All but one prospective suppliers for solar panels, inverters, batteries etc are Chinese origin. The exception is Fronius, an Austrian company.

Is any other country doing more to advance the cause. of course they also have passed the US as the #1 polluter. That, though, is now crystal clear to even the ancients in China.

FWIW, I hope the implied future I describe does not happen this way. It implies more than a little Orwellian potential.

Disagree. I Report this link because I think that, in case the Temperature Deviation overtook the threshold of 1.5 degrees Celsius set by the Agreement of Paris, the UN Security Council should be in charge of this matter not BRICS.
In particular I would like to point out that in some cases, the Security Council can resort to imposing sanctions or even authorize the use of force to maintain or restore international peace and security, which are the actions needed IMO in case of Global Climate Crisis, as it is described in the reported link.
I mean the Climate Change issue is crystal clear a matter of Global Security. So it's a matter of competence of the UN Security Council IMO.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: unk45

Disagree. I Report this link because I think that, in case the Temperature Deviation overtook the threshold of 1.5 degrees Celsius set by the Agreement of Paris, the UN Security Council should be in charge of this matter not BRICS.
In particular I would like to point out that in some cases, the Security Council can resort to imposing sanctions or even authorize the use of force to maintain or restore international peace and security, which are the actions needed IMO in case of Global Climate Crisis, as it is described in the reported link.
I mean the Climate Change issue is crystal clear a matter of Global Security. So it's a matter of competence of the UN Security Council IMO.
I completely hope you're correct. It should be, but vetos exist, don't they? In the present environment I think it unlikely they'd all agree, if only because of competing ideology.