Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
in addition, over the last 450 years, the anthropogenic global warming is both shifting the hurricanes more northerly, hitting further up the east coast of the US and increasing intensity
(see references above)

View attachment 1007321
Agree. In fact 8 meters of warm water are needed to create a hurricane. Well in the Oceans close to the USA there are more than 16 meters of warm water caused by anthropogenic Global Warming!
That's why there are so many hurricanes in the USA.

The internationally agreed threshold to prevent the Earth from spiraling into a new superheated era will be “passed for all practical purposes” during 2024, the man known as the godfather of climate science has warned.

James Hansen, the former Nasa scientist credited for alerting the world to the dangers of climate change in the 1980s, said that global heating caused by the burning of fossil fuels, amplified by the naturally reoccurring El Niño climatic event, will by May push temperatures to as much as 1.7C (3F) above the average experienced before industrialization.

In Italy in December 2023 we had a Temperature Deviation of 1.87C. That's why I think that James Hansen, former NASA scientist, is right when he says that by May 2024 we will have we will reach a Global Temperature Deviation of 1.7C.

Reactions: mspohr

The planet-warming emissions generated during the first two months of the war in Gaza were greater than the annual carbon footprint of more than 20 of the world’s most climate-vulnerable nations, research reveals. The vast majority (99%) of the 281,000 metric tonnes of carbon dioxide (CO2 equivalent) estimated to have been generated in the first 60 days after the 7 October Hamas attack can be attributed to Israel’s aerial bombardment and ground invasion of Gaza, according to a first-of-its-kind analysis by researchers in the UK and US. According to the study, which is based on only a handful of carbon-intensive activities and is therefore probably a significant underestimate, the climate cost of the first 60 days of Israel’s military response was equivalent to burning at least 150,000 tonnes of coal.

The analysis, which is yet to be peer reviewed, includes CO2 from aircraft missions, tanks and fuel from other vehicles, as well as emissions generated by making and exploding the bombs, artillery and rockets. It does not include other planet-warming gases such as methane. Almost half the total CO2 emissions were down to US cargo planes flying military supplies to Israel.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz

The internationally agreed threshold to prevent the Earth from spiraling into a new superheated era will be “passed for all practical purposes” during 2024, the man known as the godfather of climate science has warned. James Hansen, the former Nasa scientist credited for alerting the world to the dangers of climate change in the 1980s, said that global heating caused by the burning of fossil fuels, amplified by the naturally reoccurring El Niño climatic event, will by May push temperatures to as much as 1.7C (3F) above the average experienced before industrialization.

Passing through the 1.5C world is a significant milestone because it shows that the story being told by the United Nations, with the acquiescence of its scientific advisory body, the IPCC, is a load of bullshit,” Hansen said.

The internationally agreed threshold to prevent the Earth from spiraling into a new superheated era will be “passed for all practical purposes” during 2024, the man known as the godfather of climate science has warned. James Hansen, the former Nasa scientist credited for alerting the world to the dangers of climate change in the 1980s, said that global heating caused by the burning of fossil fuels, amplified by the naturally reoccurring El Niño climatic event, will by May push temperatures to as much as 1.7C (3F) above the average experienced before industrialization.

Passing through the 1.5C world is a significant milestone because it shows that the story being told by the United Nations, with the acquiescence of its scientific advisory body, the IPCC, is a load of bullshit,” Hansen said.
As I said in a previous post, because of my research on record Temperatures all around the world, I agree with James Hansen that by May 2024 we will reach a Global Temperature Deviation of 1.7C.
I also think that in November 2024, when COP29 will take place in Azerbaijan, the Global Temperature Deviation will get even worse.
So I am wondering, because of the importance of COP29 in this difficult historical period, will the UN take unprecedented actions to get effective the new COP29 decisions?

• Informative

The Ocean Heat Content (OHC) is not only increasing but also accelerating.
This is NOT GOOD because hurricanes originate in the Oceans because of warm water.

Another Lemon into Lemonade scenario... Island/coastal areas should use a heatpump to take heat from the ocean for district heating. Island/coastal areas are where the majority of the population lives...

As I said in a previous post, because of my research on record Temperatures all around the world, I agree with James Hansen that by May 2024 we will reach a Global Temperature Deviation of 1.7C.
I also think that in November 2024, when COP29 will take place in Azerbaijan, the Global Temperature Deviation will get even worse.
So I am wondering, because of the importance of COP29 in this difficult historical period, will the UN take unprecedented actions to get effective the new COP29 decisions?
Don't count on the UN.
It's weak by design. Controlled by capitalist interests.

Another tech that would lower ocean temp is OTEC. You are extracting energy from the ocean using the temp difference between the surface water and deep water. While it cools surface temp while warming deep water temp, the net effect is lowering of ocean temp (you are extracting energy, afterall. The electricity would be easier to transport inland compared to steam/hot water. Electricity is also more useful in hotter climates/during global warming.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz and mspohr
Another tech that would lower ocean temp is OTEC. You are extracting energy from the ocean using the temp difference between the surface water and deep water. While it cools surface temp while warming deep water temp, the net effect is lowering of ocean temp (you are extracting energy, afterall. The electricity would be easier to transport inland compared to steam/hot water. Electricity is also more useful in hotter climates/during global warming.

Yes you are extracting energy but not enough to cool down the Oceans. Believe me.
I mean you can use OTEC to get electricity but not to cool down the Oceans.

Don't count on the UN.
It's weak by design. Controlled by capitalist interests.
Sorry but I disagree. The Climate Change issue is crystal clear a matter of Global Security. If by November 2024 the Global Temperature Deviation will overtake the threshold of 1.5 degrees Celsius set by the Agreement of Paris COP29 has to be placed under receivership of the UN Security Council IMO.

Yes you are extracting energy but not enough to cool down the Oceans. Believe me.
I mean you can use OTEC to get electricity but not to cool down the Oceans.

You are thinking too small. It's the same attitude that makes some people think climate change cannot be man made. Try deploying OTEC in all coastal areas and see what happens.

Also, OTEC is a 24x7 power source and adjustable, so this can replace baseload. Basically geothermal but using the ocean.

Last edited:
You are thinking too small. It's the same attitude that makes some people think climate change cannot be man made. Try deploying OTEC in all coastal areas and see what happens.

Also, OTEC is a 24x7 power source and adjustable, so this can replace baseload. Basically geothermal but using the ocean.
Sorry the amount of energy stored in the Oceans because of the Energy imbalance caused by the GHE is HUGE. IMO your plan is not feasible.

OTEC is a nice idea but a tiny energy source (it's listed along with Waves & Tides in the graphic)

1704825674569.png

^^===LINK

Last year saw a record number of UK newspaper editorials opposing climate action – almost exclusively from right-leaning titles – new Carbon Brief analysis shows.

I am really disappointed to read this news. The Climate Change issue has no political color. Any remark to Climate Actions has to be done on the ground of scientific arguments without having any political or economical purpose.

Global warming in 2023 hit 1.48 degrees Celsius, data published Tuesday shows, as the hottest year on record propelled the world just hundredths of a degree away from a critical climate threshold (1.5C).
Analyses last year had already confirmed 2023 to be the warmest on record, but Tuesday’s data shows an alarming leap in heating from 2016, previously the hottest year. In 2023, the average global temperature was 1.48 degrees Celsius — 0.17 degrees above the previous record — while warming in the world’s oceans also hit a new high.

P.S.
As I said previously the average global temperature is the Temperature Deviation

Last edited:
  • Informative

Global warming in 2023 hit 1.48 degrees Celsius, data published Tuesday shows, as the hottest year on record propelled the world just hundredths of a degree away from a critical climate threshold (1.5C).
Analyses last year had already confirmed 2023 to be the warmest on record, but Tuesday’s data shows an alarming leap in heating from 2016, previously the hottest year. In 2023, the average global temperature was 1.48 degrees Celsius — 0.17 degrees above the previous record — while warming in the world’s oceans also hit a new high.

P.S.
As I said previously the average global temperature is the Temperature Deviation

2023 has replaced 2016 as the warmest calendar year on record. According to the ERA5 dataset, the global-average temperature for 2023 was 14.98°C, 0.17°C higher than recorded for 2016.

P.S.
Made a mistake in the quoted post. Said it better in this post.

• Informative