Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haha, nice.

20191018_133643.jpg

Reactions: mspohr
  • Funny
Reactions: mspohr
Greta Thunberg travelled to Fort McMurray Friday, following her speech at a large rally in Edmonton.

The climate activist arrived in northern Alberta Friday night for a private meeting with Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation Chief Allan Adam.

"We talked about what was going on in our region," said Adam. "Where we come from, the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation, everything you [Fort McMurray] do affects us."

Adam said residents of the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation are feeling the effects of climate change, and he wants more action.

"When Greta comes around, as a chief... I am obligated to meet her. To understand what she's all about," he said.

He said that the community uses the money it gets from the energy industry to fund projects like community-based monitoring, in an attempt to see what effects climate change is having in the region.

"It took someone from Europe, a young little woman who had the courage to stand up to Canada and the United States, to say to them your emission of greenhouse [gas]... has a global catastrophe to all humanity."

<snip>
Full article at:
Greta Thunberg quietly visits Fort McMurray

Renewable energy to expand by 50% in next five years - report

The report said growing climate ambitions in the European Union and the US played the biggest role in driving the IEA’s forecasts higher, but it will be China which leads the way in rolling out wind and solar energy projects.

The IEA expects solar energy to play the biggest role in jumpstarting fresh growth in global renewable energy because falling costs are already below retail electricity prices in most countries.

w00t

I looked up the EIA report for PV. They estimate 600 GW of PV being added in the 5 years 2018-2023. Since 97 GW was added in 2017 the math works out to an estimated 10.6% annual growth rate.

That would be a very nice number if today was 1985 but it is not so we need a much higher growth rate. The world really needs to be 50% renewable by 2030 and clean by 2040. According to their most recent data, the world *continued* to add fossil generation in 2017, in fact it was 1/3 of the total

Last edited:
According to their most recent data, the world *continued* to add fossil generation in 2017, in fact it was 1/3 of the total

That is the biggest problem, most idiotic and irresponsible act to add more fossil based generation.
I can understand that we have economic limits to how fast we can deploy renewable generation, and therefore it is unreasonable to expect existing, functional fossil generators to be shut down en masse. However, any new generation added, ought to be clean and renewable, as they are not only better for the environment but also more economical now!

Reactions: SageBrush
Scores more heart attacks and strokes on high pollution days, figures show

Simon Stevens, the chief executive of NHS England, said: “These new figures show air pollution is now causing thousands of strokes, cardiac arrests and asthma attacks, so it’s clear that the climate emergency is in fact also a health emergency. Since these avoidable deaths are happening now, not in 2025 or 2050, together we need to act now.”

Reactions: iPlug and ladysbff

Simon Stevens, the chief executive of NHS England, said: “These new figures show air pollution is now causing thousands of strokes, cardiac arrests and asthma attacks, so it’s clear that the climate emergency is in fact also a health emergency. Since these avoidable deaths are happening now, not in 2025 or 2050, together we need to act now.”
As a front line practitioner treating these conditions and CA resident who breathes the same PM and ozone, can confirm the correlation is quite real in this part of the world.

• Informative
Reactions: CatB and mspohr
It's even worse than we thought.

Climate Change Will Cost Us Even More Than We Think Opinion | Climate Change Will Cost Us Even More Than We Think

For some time now it has been clear that the effects of climate change are appearing faster than scientists anticipated. Now it turns out that there is another form of underestimation as bad or worse than the scientific one: the underestimating by economists of the costs

Hydrologists have recognized for some time that climate change has undermined stationarity in water management — indeed, they have declared that stationarity is dead. But economists have by and large not recognized that this applies to climate effects across the board. They approach climate damages as minor perturbations around an underlying path of economic growth, and take little account of the fundamental destruction that we might be facing because it is so outside humanity’s experience.

A second difficulty involves parameters that scientists do not feel they can adequately quantify, like the value of biodiversity or the costs of ocean acidification. Research shows that when scientists lack good data for a variable, even if they know it to be salient, they are loath to assign a value out of a fear that they would be “making it up.”

Reactions: ladysbff
My rich town was poisoned by a corporation. Even the 1% isn't safe from pollution | Chantal Panozzo

"Even the 1% isn't safe from pollution"

"So to anyone who thinks they’re too privileged to be subjected to pollution: here’s what I now know: even in today’s ever-greedier America, money doesn’t always save you. The air, for one thing, doesn’t care if you’re a millionaire – or a billionaire. Air is there, ready for you to take your next breath, whether you’re in a mansion or a mobile home."

My rich town was poisoned by a corporation. Even the 1% isn't safe from pollution | Chantal Panozzo

"Even the 1% isn't safe from pollution"

"So to anyone who thinks they’re too privileged to be subjected to pollution: here’s what I now know: even in today’s ever-greedier America, money doesn’t always save you. The air, for one thing, doesn’t care if you’re a millionaire – or a billionaire. Air is there, ready for you to take your next breath, whether you’re in a mansion or a mobile home."
Well no *sugar*. I often wonder how many people really understand that we live in a closed bubble in space. I think a lot of them need to go back and learn the basics.....or just the one on size comparisons....we are but a bigger fish bowl and what happens when the fish bowl gets dirty for too long? The fish die!

Reactions: nwdiver