Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand your concern. The reason I mostly post articles is that I view them as part of the discussion and I find that they are usually more articulate and well reasoned than something I could concoct. I could rant but I don't think it would add much to the discussion. Someone who has taken time to research and write an article is usually much better informed and has formulated their discussion points clearly. I post them so they can be part of the discussion. I'm sorry if you have also read the article elsewhere.
Those are fair points and I appreciate you responding in such a measured way. Admirable quality in today's online world.

Reactions: mspohr
I will admit. Not everything about climate change is bad.

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 2.59.34 PM.png

‘Relentless’ destruction of rainforest continuing despite Cop26 pledge

Pristine rainforests were once again destroyed at a relentless rate in 2021, according to new figures, prompting concerns governments will not meet a Cop26 deal to halt and reverse deforestation by the end of the decade. From the Brazilian Amazon to the Congo basin, the tropics lost 11.1m hectares of tree cover last year, including 3.75m ha of primary forest critical to limiting global heating and biodiversity loss. Boreal forests, mainly in Russia, experienced a record loss in 2021 driven by the worst wildfire season in Siberia since records began, according to new data from the University of Maryland released via Global Forest Watch. Experts called the continued forest loss a disaster for action on global heating and said the 143 governments that pledged to halt and reverse forest loss by 2030 at Cop26 held in Glasgow, had to urgently make good on their commitment.

Reactions: Beasts
Global warming risks most cataclysmic extinction of marine life in 250m years

Global heating is causing such a drastic change to the world’s oceans that it risks a mass extinction event of marine species that rivals anything that’s happened in the Earth’s history over tens of millions of years, new research has warned. Accelerating climate change is causing a “profound” impact upon ocean ecosystems that is “driving extinction risk higher and marine biological richness lower than has been seen in Earth’s history for the past tens of millions of years”, according to the study.

This means the oceans are overheated, increasingly gasping for breath – the volume of ocean waters completely depleted of oxygen has quadrupled since the 1960s – and becoming more hostile to life. Aquatic creatures such as clams, mussels and shrimp are unable to properly form shells due to the acidification of seawater.

I definitely DO NOT like getting old but climate change is one good reason for having lived most of my life before the full effects of this disastrous event are realized! Hopefully my wife and I can get in another 20 years of relative peace and happiness before this tragic trend destroys the quality of life on the planet. The clear evidence keeps mounting day after day and I, as a careful and critical observer, simply can't understand how there is still any doubt of where we are headed. The science is clear and undeniable.
Over the coming millennia I suppose the earth will recover but, if we don't push the panic button real soon, the recovery will be painful and effect many generations in a very negative way. And now we can add to that equation Putin's threat of nuclear war. At this point it seems to me the human species is hell bent on its' self destruction. We are so impressed with our superiority as a species and yet we can't figure out how to get along with each other much less care for the rest of the planet.

Reactions: gavine and blower
I definitely DO NOT like getting old but climate change is one good reason for having lived most of my life before the full effects of this disastrous event are realized! Hopefully my wife and I can get in another 20 years of relative peace and happiness before this tragic trend destroys the quality of life on the planet. The clear evidence keeps mounting day after day and I, as a careful and critical observer, simply can't understand how there is still any doubt of where we are headed. The science is clear and undeniable.
Over the coming millennia I suppose the earth will recover but, if we don't push the panic button real soon, the recovery will be painful and effect many generations in a very negative way. And now we can add to that equation Putin's threat of nuclear war. At this point it seems to me the human species is hell bent on its' self destruction. We are so impressed with our superiority as a species and yet we can't figure out how to get along with each other much less care for the rest of the planet.
WELL SAID!

The secret world beneath our feet is mind-blowing – and the key to our planet’s future

Just as farming is trashing crucial Earth systems, their destruction threatens our food supply. Sustaining even current levels of production might prove impossible. Climate breakdown is likely, on the whole, to make wet places wetter and dry places drier. One more degree of heating, one estimate suggests, would parch 32% of the world’s land surface. By the middle of this century, severe droughts could simultaneously affect an arc from Portugal to Pakistan. And this is before we consider the rising economic fragility of the global food system, or geopolitical pressures, such as the current war in Ukraine, that might threaten 30% of the world’s wheat exports. It’s not just the quantity of production that’s at risk, but also its quality. A combination of higher temperatures and higher concentrations of CO2 reduces the level of minerals, protein and B vitamins that crops contain. Already, zinc deficiency alone afflicts more than a billion people. Though we seldom discuss it, one paper describes the falling concentrations of nutrients as “existential threats”.

The secret world beneath our feet is mind-blowing – and the key to our planet’s future

Just as farming is trashing crucial Earth systems, their destruction threatens our food supply. Sustaining even current levels of production might prove impossible. Climate breakdown is likely, on the whole, to make wet places wetter and dry places drier. One more degree of heating, one estimate suggests, would parch 32% of the world’s land surface. By the middle of this century, severe droughts could simultaneously affect an arc from Portugal to Pakistan. And this is before we consider the rising economic fragility of the global food system, or geopolitical pressures, such as the current war in Ukraine, that might threaten 30% of the world’s wheat exports. It’s not just the quantity of production that’s at risk, but also its quality. A combination of higher temperatures and higher concentrations of CO2 reduces the level of minerals, protein and B vitamins that crops contain. Already, zinc deficiency alone afflicts more than a billion people. Though we seldom discuss it, one paper describes the falling concentrations of nutrients as “existential threats”.

Time to build underground facilities and move underground.

• Funny
Reuters.com: California says it needs more power to keep the lights on.

Royalty would say... (what is the big deal?) let them install V2H with their solar. 😀

• Funny
Revealed: the ‘carbon bombs’ set to trigger catastrophic climate breakdown

The world’s biggest fossil fuel firms are quietly planning scores of “carbon bomb” oil and gas projects that would drive the climate past internationally agreed temperature limits with catastrophic global impacts, a Guardian investigation shows. The exclusive data shows these firms are in effect placing multibillion-dollar bets against humanity halting global heating. Their huge investments in new fossil fuel production could pay off only if countries fail to rapidly slash carbon emissions, which scientists say is vital.

I definitely DO NOT like getting old but climate change is one good reason for having lived most of my life before the full effects of this disastrous event are realized! Hopefully my wife and I can get in another 20 years of relative peace and happiness before this tragic trend destroys the quality of life on the planet.
You'll have to pray that some 69 yo fascist dictator doesn't set off nuclear war before that.

Here is a sample of the more interesting strategies. (This list is by no means comprehensive.)

• Slashing the use of “fossil gas” in buildings — which includes ending the use of natural gas in new construction, and also “trimming back the existing gas infrastructure.”

• Ensuring that all passenger cars and trucks sold in the state will be emissions-free by 2035, along with as many off-road vehicles as feasible.

• Minimizing fossil fuel use for transportation by 2045. Most petroleum products by then would be for planes, boats and trains — not cars or trucks.

• Ending oil and gas drilling by 2045, a goal that is also stated in an executive order. Flaring of natural gas at oil wells must also end, the report says.

• Slashing the number of miles each person travels in their vehicles by at least 22% by 2045 compared to 2019.

• Reducing methane emissions from the livestock sector. Among the methods: encouraging Californians to eat plant- or cell-based products instead of meat.

• Doubling the amount of acres of cropland that are certified organic. Organic farming has climate benefits because it does not allow synthetic fertilizers and pesticides, which release greenhouse gases. It also can improve soil health, which sequesters carbon.

• Restoring an immense amount of acreage in the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta — 130,000 acres under one scenario. For context, a state-funded project in the works that will convert 1,200 acres will have taken 20 years and $63 million when it’s complete.

not funny!

🤣 Time to move ... 😰
Just upgrade your building to water-tight outer insulation, then you can start a business as under-water hotel once the sea level rises enough.
See, these are expensive hotels making good business:

Much easier to do the conversion now, then it is to build an under-water hotel, so it makes business sense !
;)