Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you believe that any article written in the NYT on electric cars is suspect because of Broder?
@EverettRuess
yes, if it deals with Tesla.

If you were around then and before back into the 1980's, and active in the EV movement, especially Tesla and most all other EV's,
geo metro's Kewets, Ford Rangers, BugE's, porsche conversions, delorean conversion, Sebring CitiCars, etc

the 30 years of stalling by GM, the 30 years of stalling by Toyota with a teeny tiny 8.8kw battery, admittedly bigger than the 1.1kw
look at the Sunday WaPo automotive section and the price for full and 1/2 page ads, w/zero revenue from Tesla.

Reactions: mspohr

Scientists anticipate that 2024 will be even hotter than 2023, as an El Niño weather pattern – known for a tendency to boost global temperatures – will likely peak toward the end of this year.

What we know from science is that human activity and principally greenhouse gas emissions are unavoidably causing the warming that we’re seeing on our planet,” said Calvin. “This is impacting people and ecosystems around the world.”

The 2018 European heatwave led to multiple crop failures and loss of yield of up to 50% in central and northern Europe. In 2022, record temperatures in the UK killed fruit and vegetables on the vine.

The climate crisis doesn’t just increase atmospheric heatwaves but oceanic ones too, harming coastal communities and threatening another key food source for humans. Heat stress causes dramatic die-offs, such as the 2021 “heat dome” along Canada’s Pacific coast, which killed an estimated 1 billion marine animals.

The sky is not falling and the world is not going to end. There are no scenarios in the IPCC report that lead to the extinction of the human race. Anthropogenic climate change is an issue that will require adaptation and mitigation but sitting around scrubbing the internet for doomsday prophecies is not healthy or beneficial. Your (and my) EV and solar panels are a drop in the bucket so lets not act like we are saving the planet. Global emissions will likely continue to rise because the developing world wants a better standard of living and I can't blame them. Look at what industrialization has done for humans... in 200 years we have gone from living about 30 years on average to about 70+.

3-World-maps-of-Life-expectancy-e1538651530288.png

On a positive note, a little reported fact is that U.S. emissions have actually been dropping since the Bush years and should continue to do so as more renewables are deployed and things become more efficient. We shouldn't pat ourselves on the back too much as we are still one of the "per capita" leaders but it is trending the right way. Renewables have become cost competitive (even cheaper than coal in most cases) and a large portion of new energy production comes from them. EVs are nearly cost competitive with ICE vehicles (especially over the lifetime of the vehicle) and charging/range issues are minimal at this point it will just take time to cycle through. The market is actually doing a good job of taking care of this. Most developed nations are likely following a similar path.

us-ghg-emissions_figure1_2022.png

But try as we might, we don't control the world, we are only about 13% of global emissions (and dropping), and we're probably in for 2C of warming no matter what the United States does barring some large scale capture being deployed... so plan accordingly.

The sky is not falling and the world is not going to end. There are no scenarios in the IPCC report that lead to the extinction of the human race. Anthropogenic climate change is an issue that will require adaptation and mitigation but sitting around scrubbing the internet for doomsday prophecies is not healthy or beneficial. Your (and my) EV and solar panels are a drop in the bucket so lets not act like we are saving the planet. Global emissions will likely continue to rise because the developing world wants a better standard of living and I can't blame them. Look at what industrialization has done for humans... in 200 years we have gone from living about 30 years on average to about 70+.

3-World-maps-of-Life-expectancy-e1538651530288.png

On a positive note, a little reported fact is that U.S. emissions have actually been dropping since the Bush years and should continue to do so as more renewables are deployed and things become more efficient. We shouldn't pat ourselves on the back too much as we are still one of the "per capita" leaders but it is trending the right way. Renewables have become cost competitive (even cheaper than coal in most cases) and a large portion of new energy production comes from them. EVs are nearly cost competitive with ICE vehicles (especially over the lifetime of the vehicle) and charging/range issues are minimal at this point it will just take time to cycle through. The market is actually doing a good job of taking care of this. Most developed nations are likely following a similar path.

us-ghg-emissions_figure1_2022.png

But try as we might, we don't control the world, we are only about 13% of global emissions (and dropping), and we're probably in for 2C of warming no matter what the United States does barring some large scale capture being deployed... so plan accordingly.

Yawn, let me know when US emission per capita drops to world average (4.3%). As far as I know, 13% > 4.3%.

Also, how much of the other country's emissions are a result of producing stuff for the US consumers. So the lifestyle of the 4.3% is probably more like a cause for 30-50% of world-wide emissions.

And just to be totally fair, some of the emissions and water use by Saudi Arabia is actually counted in the US, the SW and Western states primarily, to grow nuts and alfalfa.

Last edited:
Yawn, let me know when US emission per capita drops to world average (4.3%). As far as I know, 13% > 4.3%.

Also, how much of the other country's emissions are a result of producing stuff for the US consumers. So the lifestyle of the 4.3% is probably more like a cause for 30-50% of world-wide emissions.

And just to be totally fair, some of the emissions and water use by Saudi Arabia is actually counted in the US, the SW and Western states primarily, to grow nuts and alfalfa.

Yawn. Reading comprehension is not your strong suit is it? There is no “gotcha” as I already pointed this out.
We shouldn't pat ourselves on the back too much as we are still one of the "per capita" leaders but it is trending the right way.

Yawn. Reading comprehension is not your strong suit is it? There is no “gotcha” as I already pointed this out.

Not sure which is worse. Unable to comprehend or unable to read a statement that shows lack of comprehension. So the 4.3% responsible for 43% of emissions is doing things right by 'slowly reducing' their emission but hey, let's sneak in a 'don't pat yourself on the back in the middle of the garble of texts exhibiting the writer's lack of comprehension. LOL

• Funny
Not sure which is worse. Unable to comprehend or unable to read a statement that shows lack of comprehension. So the 4.3% responsible for 43% of emissions is doing things right by 'slowly reducing' their emission but hey, let's sneak in a 'don't pat yourself on the back in the middle of the garble of texts exhibiting the writer's lack of comprehension. LOL
You pulled 43% out of your ass for starters. And no surprise that the most developed country in the world has the higher per capita emissions than people living in poor countries. What’s your point? You think we’re gonna go back to living in grass huts? You think those poor countries emissions aren’t gonna rise as they develop? Is our emissions dropping a good thing or a bad thing? If everyone in the US joined a hippie commune tonight would global warming disappear?

You pulled 43% out of your ass for starters. And no surprise that the most developed country in the world has the higher per capita emissions than people living in poor countries. What’s your point? You think we’re gonna go back to living in grass huts? You think those poor countries emissions aren’t gonna rise as they develop? Is our emissions dropping a good thing or a bad thing? If everyone in the US joined a hippie commune tonight would global warming disappear?

Actually, 3rd world countries have a lot of emissions too. There are concerns of CO poisoning from cooking and lighting using fire inside the hut. It's great that they are getting solar tech to replace their lighting needs. Next would be cooking.

For 1st world countries, maybe cut down on non-essentials like 3 ton gas/diesel guzzling trucks/SUV to transport one person to/from work. Or maybe even expand the sharing economy so we don't have a car that is in use <2% of the time but something that is bigger and shared but used 75% of the time. But then climate change is not a big deal so any attempt to change our way of life is really an attack on our personal freedumb, right?

And the same people would point to other countries...easy target China... and I would counter that most of their emission is making stuff for US consumers. But that would make too much sense.

And back to the question of the rest of the world emission going up as they modernize, that is good news for US stats, right? Because if they live like us, then we would only be responsible for 4.3% of the emissions. Forget that the planet would have 7-10x the emission and be a hell hole. It's all about making the stats look good to reduce urgency.

Last edited:
Actually, 3rd world countries have a lot of emissions too. There are concerns of CO poisoning from cooking and lighting using fire inside the hut. It's great that they are getting solar tech to replace their lighting needs. Next would be cooking.

For 1st world countries, maybe cut down on non-essentials like 3 ton gas/diesel guzzling trucks/SUV to transport one person to/from work. But then climate change is not a big deal so any attempt to change our way of life is really an attack on our personal freedumb, right?

And the same people would point to other countries...easy target China... and I would counter that most of their emission is making stuff for US consumers. But that would make too much sense.

And back to the question of the rest of the world emission going up as they modernize, that is good news for US stats, right? Because if they live like us, then we would only be responsible for 4.3% of the emissions. Forget that the planet would have 10x the emission and be a hell hole. It's all about making the stats look good to reduce urgency.
Lots of words to not refute anything I’ve said. I’m just going off the stats available you are making assumptions that are likely exaggerated even if you do have a point.

From an equity perspective I suppose everyone else emitting more is just as good as us reducing ours but I don’t endorse that world view personally.

The rest of what you said is basic straw man. No need to respond to it. I expressed my hope that developing countries will modernize with clean energy and agree that anthropogenic climate change is real… I just don’t think it’ll end the world and I don’t think there’s much the US can do about it.

Ever since some of the earliest projections of climate change were made back in the 1970s, they have been remarkably accurate at predicting the rate at which global temperatures would rise. For decades, climate change has proceeded at roughly the expected pace, says David Armstrong McKay, a climate scientist at the University of Exeter, in England. Its impacts, however, are accelerating—sometimes far faster than expected. For a while, the consequences weren’t easily seen. They certainly are today. The Southwest is sweltering under a heat dome. Vermont saw a deluge of rain, its second 100-year storm in roughly a decade. Early July brought the hottest day globally since records began—a milestone surpassed again the following day. “For a long time, we were within the range of normal. And now we’re really not,” Allegra LeGrande, a physical-research scientist at Columbia University, told me. “And it has happened fast enough that people have a memory of it happening.”

In fact, a growing number of climate scientists now believe we may be careening toward so-called tipping points, where incremental steps along the same trajectory could push Earth’s systems into abrupt or irreversible change—leading to transformations that cannot be stopped even if emissions were suddenly halted. “The Earth may have left a ‘safe’ climate state beyond 1°C global warming,” Armstrong McKay and his co-authors concluded in Science last fall. If these thresholds are passed, some of global warming’s effects—like the thaw of permafrost or the loss of the world’s coral reefs—are likely to happen more quickly than expected. On the whole, however, the implications of blowing past these tipping points remain among climate change’s most consequential unknowns: We don’t really know when or how fast things will fall apart.

Sounds like Thermoelectric Cooler tech to the next level!

So... if I use this material as my car's exterior, I can literally polarize the hull for HVAC? Would be even better if that also creates a field to reduce collision damage (as in force field). LOL

Last edited: