Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Closed Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious about the closed superchargers and why some are closing. I'm sure some are just replaced with V3's. Are there any infamous superchargers in bad or sketchy areas? Any businesses being butts and just not supporting them? Or any other reasons?

I'm curious about the closed superchargers and why some are closing. I'm sure some are just replaced with V3's. Are there any infamous superchargers in bad or sketchy areas? Any businesses being butts and just not supporting them? Or any other reasons?

It's in a secure area used by Space X and Tesla and there are nearly a dozen other options within a few miles. So it's not needed and just more trouble than it's worth to keep open to the public.

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 3.41.50 PM.png

They close for a variety of reasons. Here are all of the public superchargers in the USA that have closed over the years, usually because the site becomes untenable in some way. Many of the early locations were in less than ideal locations because Tesla had no clout. Now that businesses want superchargers, Tesla cal often find better locations nearby. Joplin, MO is a good example. Sometimes Tesla decides to take a location private, such as superchargers at Service Centers. Chicago and Hawthorne are good examples.

Screenshot_20210723-213505.png

They close for a variety of reasons. Here are all of the public superchargers in the USA that have closed over the years, usually because the site becomes untenable in some way. Many of the early locations were in less than ideal locations because Tesla had no clout. Now that businesses want superchargers, Tesla cal often find better locations nearby. Joplin, MO is a good example. Sometimes Tesla decides to take a location private, such as superchargers at Service Centers. Chicago and Hawthorne are good examples.

View attachment 687557

Thanks for the tip. I'm curious about the specific reasons, even speculative, why they closed. I noticed they opened a new one in Joplin and closed another. I've never gone down and checked why. I'm sure Tesla doesn't publicized why , but I'll take speculation. :)

I am sure others may have better information.

Some (like the original Lone Tree in Denver) were established as temporary from the git-go. I think Lone Tree had four stalls and were often used by the sales center to charge demo vehicles. Once the permanent stalls were completed a few years later, Tesla eventually removed these temporary ones. I think the original Aurora, Illinois location was temporary too.

As Flyer pointed out, Tesla had to take whatever was available in the early days to promote traveling longer distances. That could have entailed locations in sketchy areas. I would assume that property owners would charge rent to Tesla, and Tesla signed a lease with renewal options. Fast forward to today, and it is more likely that landlords want Superchargers at their properties. It is possible that the leases at some original sites will not be renewed by Tesla if a suitable location nearby can be constructed with enough version 3 Superchargers with lower property costs. (We do not know, obviously.) That said, until the stalls at the original location in Joplin are removed, Tesla just might flip the switch again during heavy traffic periods like holidays. We'll have to wait and see.

Finally, today there are Superchargers in Cedar City, Utah (actually about six miles south of town, just off Interstate 15) and a second Supercharger in St. George, Utah off Convention Center Drive. Both locations utilize the temporary set up with the 72kW pedestals mounted on pallets and a conduit that is hooked up to the power source. It could be possible that both these locations will ultimately be outfitted with permanent pedestals at the same site, or it is equally possible that a second location elsewhere will be the permanent site, and these current temporary stalls will be removed and closed.

Here's what you can do. Go to supercharger.info, and then go to the Data tab. Click on the Status column to sort by Status (for some reason it doesn't work as you would expect, but it does at least move the OPEN sites to the bottom. Then you can scroll through the list of CLOSED_PERM entries, click on the "forum" link and read the forum entries that pertain to the closure. Lather, rinse, repeat until you get your fill!

Here's one that I can summarize myself: Supercharger Proposal for NC - Warsaw, NC

This Supercharger was hosted at a disreputable hotel where the owner/manager was openly hostile to Tesla owners. So Tesla found a nearby site that was more open to drawing in customers.

Here's what you can do. Go to supercharger.info, and then go to the Data tab. Click on the Status column to sort by Status (for some reason it doesn't work as you would expect, but it does at least move the OPEN sites to the bottom. Then you can scroll through the list of CLOSED_PERM entries, click on the "forum" link and read the forum entries that pertain to the closure. Lather, rinse, repeat until you get your fill!

Here's one that I can summarize myself: Supercharger Proposal for NC - Warsaw, NC

This Supercharger was hosted at a disreputable hotel where the owner/manager was openly hostile to Tesla owners. So Tesla found a nearby site that was more open to drawing in customers.
So glad to see Tesla do things like this. I'm sure there's more locations that are similar. Not that I like gas station food but it really is nice to see S/C at many fuel stations on several trips that we've been on. I would think they are more friendly to tesla owners then some of these Hotels.

In my area anyway, I feel we have reached an inflection point where it's not a case of Tesla getting whatever real estate/host they can convince to put in a site, but rather businesses such as convenience stores seeing the future opportunities that Supercharger (and other DC fast charging networks) will bring. Some may even see it as an existential reality. I would hazard a guess that over 50% of new Supercharger site proposals are being initiated by the host, and not by Tesla, and this is only going to accelerate the more sites are out there and the more Teslas/EVs are on the road.

In my area anyway, I feel we have reached an inflection point where it's not a case of Tesla getting whatever real estate/host they can convince to put in a site, but rather businesses such as convenience stores seeing the future opportunities that Supercharger (and other DC fast charging networks) will bring. Some may even see it as an existential reality. I would hazard a guess that over 50% of new Supercharger site proposals are being initiated by the host, and not by Tesla, and this is only going to accelerate the more sites are out there and the more Teslas/EVs are on the road.
I’m honestly impressed with how many more superchargers I‘m finding between Charlotte and Raleigh. Used the one on Watkins Road (Durham/Chapel Hill) yesterday and local amenities were way better than many of the others I‘ve visited. Especially appreciate these V3s!

That was a very freaky place to charge. They were literally staring out a window at me like something out of The Shining. I notched up the supercharger and departed as quickly as I could. This was in the phase where the chargers were still active but not displayed on the in-car Nav.

Reactions: RTPEV