Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clunking sound is costing me a bundle to fix out of warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can they re-lube both splines from the half shafts in 30 minutes while they charge 2 hours to swap out one driveshaft?

I looked in the service manual and there is no way that it is a 15 minute job to get to the splines out the hub and lubricate them.

What i do see in the manual is that they put greese on the hub, not the splines. Same as what the description of work from mambo says (hub, not splines) Can anyone confirm what they actually are lubricating?

This because I will do it myself and I can make a tutorial (with sound before and after) for anyone here if needed.

Copy from SM:

View attachment 462611
Think that just lubricating the half shaft between the hub is doable without removing the whole half shaft. Will definitely try it to get rid of that stupid noise.

I'd be interested in this, i asked my shop to get to the splies to regrease and they got nervous when they were unable to seperate the splines away from the mating face (tesla has a special "tool" for it). If theres an easy to understand way to do this, or go to the next step after what you're suggesting

Check post #8 in this thread... grease at hub, BEHIND the splines:

Rear Axle Clicking

DIY-Possible.jpg

Reactions: demundus and Gtech
My 2014 P85+ with 89.8k miles is making the click/pop sound also. I replaced the washers (1020296-00-B) 2@$3.30 and axle nuts (1020297-00-A) 2@$2.20 with new and torqued. Still making the noise. Requested a service appointment and attached a couple of the screen shots of Tesla invoices people have posted in this thread, explaining I wanted the same service these other 2 incidents had (lube & torque). Got a call that a diagnostic was required before service. Tesla offered to have Mobile Service come out. Service came out, we took a brief ride, heard the sound, and agreed the next step is the half shaft splines re-lube at the hub and torque everything down. My service appointment is Oct 8th, so will know more then. I was also told the charge for the required diagnostic ($97.50) would be applied to the service visit. The estimate PDF I was sent shows the labor charge to be $97.50. Also noticed the Service Center hourly rate is now USD $195.

View attachment 458449

Handy tip another Mobile Service guy showed me... using a suction cup the size of the center cap on the wheel will pull that cap right off. Then you can torque the axle nuts w/o taking the wheel off. There were no cotter/split pins on the axle nuts to deal with either.
Had the service done today, happy to report the noise appears to be gone. The diagnostic fee was applied to the work, making it a $97.50 job (plus my previous washers/nuts purchase). If I have as good of luck as @gaswalla and only need this service every 90k miles or so... I'll be satisfied as well. :)