Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clunking sound is costing me a bundle to fix out of warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just out of curiosity I might go do that. Sounds like a good way to fritter away some time. I owned a '92 Camry. When I went to buy a second Camry in 2010 I found that it drove badly and was rattly. My guess was that they cheapened it to sell more Lexus ES models.

I test drove both Camry and GS350.
The Camry even has a HUD.
The GS is a much more luxurious and potent car.

Several of the people here have gone out of the 4 year / 50,000 mile warranty and have been denied warranty claims, and given estimates in excess of $3000. I am advocating for the idea that this issue should be included in the 8 year / unlimited mile warranty ("unlimited miles" varied with model) - by rewording the "drive unit" warranty to include "drive train".

Couldn't you have purchased the extended warranty?

• Helpful
Reactions: David.85D
I had this same half shaft/hub issue out of warranty. That were swapping the drive unit at the same time for a different noise, I got them to goodwill half the cost. My quote read $1200 per half shaft IIRC. I'll have to look it up and post the image.

On the side topic of "luxury," Tesla never called S or X luxury, but "premium" which means more expensive.

This rear end "clicking " started about 2 months past on my 2013 S85 with 135K miles . Always when accelerating or when regen kicks in. Only on the drivers side. From what I gather from reading this thread, the "clicking" is from slack / wear in the outer half shaft splines and could be resolved by re-torquing the outer axle nut? This seams a plausible solution and worth further examination.

I am actually going to challenge that: it probably does clunk when you change from drive to reverse, which is effectively what an electric vehicle does every time you go in to regen. That is pretty common in high mileage vehicles of all makes. Electric makes it more objectionable and demands a stronger design.

My Tesla Model S 2013 P85+ has the same clunking sound. My car has ~75k miles. It's noticeable when I accelerate from idle to ~10 mph or decelerate to stop. Tesla service finally fix the issue after three visit for the same issue. We could reproduce the issue by going to a parking lot, roll down the rear windows and accelerate from idle and then decelerate to stop. I could hear clunk sound at both instances.

On my third visit to the Tesla service center, they finally fix the issue. They said it's caused by rust corrosion in the rear passenger side halfshaft. This time they clean out the grease and use wd 40 and clean out the rust and then re-grease. Now after a week, I can confirm that clunking sound is fixed and car is quiet. They had said if this final try doesn't work, then we would have to replace the halfshaft.

Attachments

• clunking sound.jpg
    clunking sound.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 129
My Tesla Model S 2013 P85+ has the same clunking sound. My car has ~75k miles. It's noticeable when I accelerate from idle to ~10 mph or decelerate to stop. Tesla service finally fix the issue after three visit for the same issue. We could reproduce the issue by going to a parking lot, roll down the rear windows and accelerate from idle and then decelerate to stop. I could hear clunk sound at both instances.

On my third visit to the Tesla service center, they finally fix the issue. They said it's caused by rust corrosion in the rear passenger side halfshaft. This time they clean out the grease and use wd 40 and clean out the rust and then re-grease. Now after a week, I can confirm that clunking sound is fixed and car is quiet. They had said if this final try doesn't work, then we would have to replace the halfshaft.
Repacking with grease will only temporarily improve the issue. Over time it will return and will likely require a DU replacement (which I think may include the half shaft)

Repacking with grease will only temporarily improve the issue. Over time it will return and will likely require a DU replacement (which I think may include the half shaft)
DU replacement does not include either half shaft. I had DU replaced under warranty this week and the tech said they check for the "Clunk" after each DU replacement now, and if the grease on the CV shaft's spline (at the wheel hub) has dried out and started gapping, they will repack.
They did so for mine, the clunk is gone, no charge for this on my bill.

I had requested they order in a half-shaft just in case, and he did. It wasn't needed.

Edit To Add:
I got a Q build series drive unit this time! The last replacement one that started moaning was a way earlier build. J?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
So far the clunking for me hasn't returned with 3k miles on it since the below service. I have 2 more years of warranty left, so not too worried.
View attachment 333719
It usually took me 5-10k miles before I noticed the clunk again. THe good news is that i've been on this drive unit for a while and the groan is starting to come back slightly above 85MPH but they have definitely improved something as it's taking much longer to creep back after they work on it. Although I suppose some of that could be due to fewer launches/demo rides and generally being a more conservative driver now that the Tesla grin fun pedal is old hat

Reactions: hpartsch
DU replacement does not include either half shaft. I had DU replaced under warranty this week and the tech said they check for the "Clunk" after each DU replacement now, and if the grease on the CV shaft's spline (at the wheel hub) has dried out and started gapping, they will repack.
They did so for mine, the clunk is gone, no charge for this on my bill.

I had requested they order in a half-shaft just in case, and he did. It wasn't needed.
Good to know. I get so many different answers from staff when I ask questions... SMH