Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colasec's Garage: Before/After

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my home two years ago at the bottom of the market. It was a short sale and it needed a ton of work. Inside we've replaced all the flooring, did a full kitchen remodel, bought new appliances, replaced most of the lighting, and painted the whole thing. Outside, we got completely new landscaping, new fencing and gates, and had the walls and wood trim painted. When I ordered my Model S on June 16th, the whole thing left was the garage.

It was unpainted, filthy, with oil stains on the floor, bare incandescents on the side wall, and some strange piping leftover from the previous owner's water softener installation. There were no cabinets. It was not ready for my new car! Okay, I told myself, you need to get this place in shape in three weeks... ready, go!

nmyI9rU.jpg
7amHgla.jpg
WqxeSdp.jpg

I had a few builders/general contractors come out to provide quotes for fixing everything, including flooring and cabinets, and the best offer I got was $15K. So I decided to act as my own general contractor and hire subs to complete each piece of work.

Steps:

1. Plumber removed pipes and drain from previous water softener installation.
2. Electrician moved lights from bare incandescents on the side wall to fluorescent strip lights on the ceiling, one above each bay. He also installed a NEMA 14-50 for my Model S.
3. Drywall contractor patched the holes left from the plumbing and filled in the vents (I live in a very windy area and the vents were a great source for dust and leaves to get into the garage - and with the MS, I don't have to worry about CO accumulation!).

FUOdWkT.jpg
9EDFsrp.jpg
t2uSvm5.jpg

4. Painters painted the whole garage.
5. A flooring company laid down a three-layer epoxy chip floor, using a custom chip combination I assembled from chipsunlimited.com.
6. Cabinets!
7. I hung some tennis balls and rubber gardening tape as parking guides. My F-150 fits with less than four inches front-to-back clearance and less than six inches side-to-side clearance.

The final product:

TH7FATQ.jpg
8zJf0ye.jpg
mxUMyId.jpg
SSrsgX6.jpg

It was officially "ready" this past Friday, one day after my car arrived at the Costa Mesa service center and four days before my scheduled Tuesday pickup.

I made it. :cool:

Last edited:
Well done; I'm wondering how you as GC did versus that contractor's quote you received.

But my real question pertains to how I barely could get past that first photograph. I swear to Nikola T that what I saw there was:

a husky emerging from a doghouse and looking at a miniature gorilla, in diapers and holding a dog's head under his right arm.

Anyone else see that????????????

Well done; I'm wondering how you as GC did versus that contractor's quote you received.

But my real question pertains to how I barely could get past that first photograph. I swear to Nikola T that what I saw there was:

a husky emerging from a doghouse and looking at a miniature gorilla, in diapers and holding a dog's head under his right arm.

You, sir, have an overactive imagination.

But, yeah: I see it, too, now that you point it out. :biggrin:

Thanks everyone! I should have a pic with the Model S in there by Friday.

The final total was about $8K, which - I know - is still a lot but I wasn't going to be able to do much better unless I did the floor myself or got fewer/lesser quality cabinets.

Aaah - I can't unsee it now! lol

Today I completed the finishing touches: actually moved all the stuff from its temporary residence in the living room into the cabinets, set up the dogs' area with a nice sturdy fence, and hung up the surfboards and gardening tools.

1plK8JX.jpg
SO0p3Al.jpg
5YS7W1m.jpg

XKYpDXz.jpg

very nice!!! I am jealous! especially having all that space (unless the pictures are lying to me) in SoCal.

It's a small three-car garage. With the cabinets now only two vehicles will fit. Both my Model S and my F-150 will fit in the remaining space, but I'll have to walk around to/from the front door of the house to get to the car next to the wall (which will be the Model S). The F-150 really barely fits.

I thought chimp! Then tried to figure out if it was a kid. Kind of disturbed me at first.

I can't stop laughing about that first pic. I too first thought, "is that a BABY in a diaper in that filthy garage?" But then I saw the dogs head and yes, I thought it was some weird mini gorilla. What does that say about me?

Nice job, quite a transformation!